SiouxSports.com Forum

Blais take on officiating

CoteauRinkRat

Blais was on Tim and Swyg this morning.

He talked about the disappointing weekend for the Sioux. To sum up his feelings, it was more than just goaltending. He gave credit to the Badgers for playing very well and their huge crowd also helped them pull out the two wins.

He was as vocal about the officiating as I have heard him on the radio for a long time. Thought Schmidt should have asked the goal judge about the goal at the end of the 1st period that he waved off. The goal judge told Dean after the game that the goal was scored in time. Andy Murray, coach of the LA Kings and father of Brady, said there was no doubt the goal was in time. Dean and the coaches looked at the tape and said the goal should have counted, no doubt. They also weren't too thrilled with the call on friday night either. Calling off the goal touched by Bochenski. They feel there have been some very big calls that have not gone their way in the last couple of games and it very frustrating.

Unprecedented that a referee would get talked out of a goal by the AR's, and not check with the official responsible for determining if it was in time (the goal judge).

My wife cuts his hair and he will be in this week. Believe me I will be looking for an explanation.

Referee called it a goal, AR's said it crossed the line after the buzzer, goal judge was not consulted, but told CB after the game it had crossed the line before the buzzer.

I wonder if there is anything in the NCAA rulebook about going through a prescribed course of action when a disputed goal is in question--in this case, if the puck crossed the goal line before the buzzer & if a ref is supposed to consult with the goal judge. Also, I thought that the red light would not come on if a goal judge flicks his switch after the buzzer-- that the light was somehow connected with the buzzer & was inoperable after the buzzer. Did anybody see a red light?

I wonder if there is anything in the NCAA rulebook about going through a prescribed course of action when a disputed goal is in question--in this case, if the puck crossed the goal line before the buzzer & if a ref is supposed to consult with the goal judge. Also, I thought that the red light would not come on if a goal judge flicks his switch after the buzzer-- that the light was somehow connected with the buzzer & was inoperable after the buzzer. Did anybody see a red light?

sfip

Blais talked about how the light didn't come on, but that since the clock was at 0.00, it wouldn't. Tim H. told the story of the Michigan Tech game, when they scored at the end of the game. The red light didn't come on because it was at the end of the game and the clock was at 0.0, but the goal counted. So it is up to the goal judge and Referee to determine if it was good or not. Red light really doesn't come into play.

Blais said this morning that the goal judge attempted to turn on the light when the goal was scored, but could not because time had expired. The ref has the option of consulting with the goal judge, but is not required to do so.

HR-45

RULE 5-2/OFFICIALS AND OFFICIATING SYSTEMS

Referee(s)

SECTION 3. The duties of the referee(s) are as follows:

d. Assess such penalties as prescribed by the rules for infractions thereof, to stop play for any other infraction of the rules and to give final decisions in the matters of disputed goals. The referee(s) may, in matters of disputed goals, consult with other on-ice officials before making a decision.

e. The referee shall ensure that the name of the goal scorer and any player entitled to an assist are announced on the public-address system. If a goal is disallowed for any violation of the rules, the referees shall report the reason for the disallowance to the official scorer, who shall announce the referees

Who is the biggest whiner besides Blaise this week over the weekend sweep? Is the 75 year old grandma going to write in the Herald again???

Keep spoutin off punk. I've talked to some of the Sioux players and they said that they can't wait to meet your loafers again. Payback is a bitch.

Who is the biggest whiner besides Blaise this week over the weekend sweep? Is the 75 year old grandma going to write in the Herald again???

What is your problem?

I really wonder if there is a classy fan among the Badger faithful.

I am also wondering who is going to the Badger board to incite this kind of crap to come here. I wish they would stop.

Dishman is a POI regular, not a Badger fan. His claim to fame is being the biggest UND hater.

Well, according to his "bio" he is an "alumni of" Minnie. However, I don't think too many of the more lucid POI regulars claim him, much like we try to ignore our own idiots.

Thx for the clarification, guys. Didn't know that the ref could ask the goal judge how a goal was scored; I thought it was only if.

I spent two years as a goal judge for the ice sharks and was consulted with several times by the ref's. Not sure how the rules differ in the NCAA, but in the USHL the goal judge is considered an off-ice "official". Meaning I had the same power as the linesman - ref consults with me, but the final decision is his. However the only thing the goal judge could be asked about was if the puck crossed the line, not if it was kicked in or played with a high stick or even if time expired. The goal judge is not responsible for looking at the clock. Like I said not sure if the NCAA rules are the same, but I'd guess the ref could not consult the goal judge in this case.