SiouxSports.com Forum

Last year all over again

OETKB

Here we go again. First game of the year where the team has given up 5 goals. Swept. This after a supposed "gut check" last night when they blew the lead.

TH says they did not deserve to lose. Reminds me a lot of last season. Don't want to hear it. Make it better... no excuses.

It's not gonna be that way this year. They probably needed this. This slump may not be over, but they'll come out of it this year.

Also in 2000, they went to SCSU and scored their only goal after 119 minutes of hockey. One goal in two games. Two months later they beat SC 7-3 (I think) in the Final Five.

I would love another shot at WI.

And I don't want to hear about goaltenders beating us. We used that excuse at least 8 times last season, then laid an egg in the NCAA's against a team that had never made the dance before.

This cannot happen. Boys need to refocus and show some unbelievable grit next weekend (and the next... and the next).

They put the Money Line back together.

Split them up, it helps, brings up the play of other lines. I disagree about starting Parise tonight, I see why they did it, but I like giving goalies another chance to prove themselves (ala Denver, last weekend). Having said that, I think Wisconsin played well enough to win, and eventhough we outplayed them, the pressure was squarely on us, and we didn't handle it well.

Next weekend we need to rock the Ralph and pick up a fallen team.

What happened to UND's scoring depth? The top line scored both goals tonight.

I was thinking the same thing. Haven't heard Fylling's name in a while and I love that guy. Prpich, Porter, Safford, McMahon, Massen, Genoway, et. al. These guys are too damn good to stay down for long.

That's what we all thought last year, but they never did pick it up again (the second & 3rd lines). This year has to be different. It would be too much of a waste for it to happen again.

No excuses. Time to suck it up and make it happen.

This team, like the past two seasons', is suffering from a lack of leadership and heart when it counts most. Moreover, the desire to win is gone, and the team and a number of fans seem content to stumble into spring based on past wins and inflated stats. Guys like Massen, Hale, Fylling, etc. who should be supplying leadership and production are MIA. The team had a gut check tonight and failed miserably. I saw more desire to win and move to the next level among the 5-6 year olds at the All Star events today, than this team has exhibited the past few series. If Blais has to bench people to the point where we have 5 forwards, 3 d-men and a goalie to get to Boston, so be it.

"Gentlemen, this is a [puck]". - Vince Lombardi

Scott:

I feel your pain. This was a hard weekend to take, especially because those of us who have been watching the Sioux for more than a few years know this team has the talent to go all the way.

That said, I think there is still hope. This team is not out of contention by any means. But they need to prove to UND fans next weekend that they are FRIGIN' ANIMALS!

If they don't come out and dominate CC next weekend, they may be in danger of tanking the whole season. That woud be a damn shame.

The similarities are eerie. Last season, everyone thought it was just a matter of time before UND started to get the bounces and turned it around, but it never happened. LAst season was definitely the most frustrating season of being a Sioux fan that I can remember. Great starts bring expectations that cause high levels of frustration for fans when they falter down the stretch. It's frustrating because you've seen how good they can be.

UND has only won 5 out of 10. They've only won 1 in the last 5. Things are not looking good. Of course they canturn it around and make a playoff push. I'm not giving up hope, but I have to re-adjust my expectations for my own sanity.

This team, like the past two seasons', is suffering from a lack of leadership and heart when it counts most.

Didn't see any lack of heart or leadership in racking up 19 wins against one of the toughest schedule in the country. The only thing that worries me about this weekend is the number of Sioux fans jumping off the wagon and ripping into each other.

I hope all of you in the GF area show up and make some noise next weekend.

And, IF the meltdown continues this season, we will have to start wondering if it is something systemic. I personally did not buy it last season when many people were saying the Sioux just had bad luck. It seemed to me they were playing a system that wasn't working.

This year, I thought the Sioux were playing a more effective forecheck. Until recently. Even against WI, they managed to bang the puck deep in the WI zone for extended periods of time. However, the scoring chances that existed early in the season from that are less evident lately.

This year, I thought the Sioux were playing a more effective forecheck. Until recently. Even against WI, they managed to bang the puck deep in the WI zone for extended periods of time. However, the scoring chances that existed early in the season from that are less evident lately.

I agree. This team has done well when it created its own opportunities with a strong forecheck and controlling the neutral zone. However, that requires more than 3-4 guys to show up to play (the usual suspects), while everybody else checks the clock and thinks about the improving their "short game".

(disclaimer for PETA: I've never kicked my pets and do not intend to in the future. Taking out hostility on defenseless animals is wrong and should not be condoned.)

Actually, you'd be surprised how laying a swift kick to a cat can calm your nerves.

disclaimer to PETA: I don't care what you think. Kiss my a$$. :D

:):);)

I don't think we can compare to last year just yet. Bad weekend...shouldn't (and won't) be tolerated. I'd imagine that this week will be an intense week of practice for the boys. Let's hope they turn things around and bring it to CC (like we did to saaayyy...Yale).

Can feel the pain here. Fortunately titles aren't won (or lost) on message boards. I won't pass judgement until after the next few weekends :D

I'd like to see Wisco again also. They have to be feeling a bit overconfident after the weekend. Winning is nice, but getting outworked in winning isn't the best result this time of year.

Eaves' take:

Wisconsin coach Mike Eaves didn't feel the Badgers were fortunate to win despite being outshot so badly.

"That's been our formula all year," Eaves said. "We've had a lot of wins (17) if we're fortunate."

If that's how Wisco has won all year, good luck in the playoffs. :)

What happened to UND's scoring depth? The top line scored both goals tonight.

Great observation.

I did some checking and over their last seven games (back to the Sat. Tech game), UND has scored 54 total points as a team while going 3-3-1. ZP (12), BB (9), BM (9) have accounted for 30 of those points. Of the remaining 24 points, 10 were scored by the defense and 14 by the forwards.

Other than ZP, BB, BM, I believe 12 separate forwards have seen ice time during that timeframe. That means over SEVEN games those TWELVE forwards have combined for FOURTEEN total points.

That is not depth - at least not offensive depth! For now, and much like last season, it appears that this is a one line team!!!

If that's how Wisco has won all year, good luck in the playoffs. :D

"The sun even shines on a dog's butt once in awhile."--anon

Those comments by Eaves aren't surprising. I wouldn't expect him to say, "Yeah, we were badly outplayed & were lucky to win" or "The Sioux are a much better team than we are & it's amazing they didn't win tonight." He's just naturally praising his team & trying to instill a winning attitude in them.

However, you're right. Getting dominated isn't a very good recipe for postseason success, & in the back of his mind he's gotta know his team doesn't have nearly the talent that the Sioux have & that his team can't expect to get outshot 2-1 & go far in the NCAAs. If he doesn't realize that, he's wildly delusional.

That is not depth - at least not offensive depth!  For now, and much like last season, it appears that this is a one line team!!!

I think we have offensive depth when our players actually put forth an effort & try. Players were stepping up while the gang was away at the WJC but, when they return, it's like they (2-4 lines) become complacent & expect the top line to do all the scoring & carry them to victory. The same is true in life. Just look at a fairly large workplace & you'll see some employees busting their butt while others ride their coattails & loaf around. I think that may be a part of the problem with this group of talented players.