SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Coaches Show

PCM

Disclaimer: This is a summary of the weekly Fighting Sioux Coaches how. It is NOT a verbatim transcript of the show. Comments by the show's hosts and the coaches are paraphrased to the best of the author's ability and are NOT direct quotes. This summary contains selected highlights from the show and is NOT a comprehensive account of all topics covered or discussed. This broadcast summary represents the interpretation of the author and is not associated in any manner with SiouxSports.com, the University of North Dakota or US College Hockey Online. This summary MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED without the written permission of the author.

Live from Joe DiMaggio's Restaurant in beautiful downtown Grand Forks. Tim Hennessy and Scott Swygman are the hosts with Coach Dean Blais.

Tim says that some people think the Sioux are slumping because they tied Denver on Saturday. Part of it is because some players are in a funk individually.

Blais said it

Edited by PCM

Thanks for the recap, Pat.

So I was watching Major League last night, and every time I heard Harry Doyle (Bob Euker) do the play by play, I thought Hennessey was in the booth. Almost makes you wonder if Tim doesn't have some of grandpa's cough syrup with him as well. :huh:

Edited by cheeringsiouxfromsmoggycali

Kinda surprised there was no mention of Lee.

Blais cannot comment on a recruit until they sign an LOI I believe.

Hennessey could have said something but they've had issues with talking about recruits before so why even bring it up? My guess is that was just left alone for its own good.

Kinda surprised there was no mention of Lee.

For the past month or two, they haven't been talking about recruits unless a caller mentions one. Even then, Blais says nothing and Hennessy provides only general information.

Thanks for clarifying that, PCM. I know it's a sticky situation but it's nice to get the coaches' impressions sometimes as they know more about a kid, his abilities, strengths, etc. than some beat writer for the Forum. I understand your point though.

Surely you don't forget last years "incident" did ya? :huh:

Let's make this simple and clear:

A coach can not talk about any recruit until they have signed a National Letter of Intent. (A verbal commitment by a high school athlete does not count.)

Be smart: Don't ask questions that Blais, Hakstol, or Berry, or Lennon, Glas, or Roebuck can't answer.

There's a clear distinction here that people need to understand:

The Grand Forks Herald (for example Virg Foss), the Fargo Forum, KKXL-AM Radio (for example media members Tim Hennessy and Scott Swygman) can talk about unsigned recruits or recruits after they've signed. They are not UND coaches.

It's all just more of the NCAA's (how shall we say) interesting rules.

Did I mention that you can't sign an LOI until you've completed your junior year of HS and then can only sign during LOI signing periods?

The media (GF Herald) has reported that Taylor Chorney has verballed to UND (as has Brian Lee, as reported in the Fargo Forum). Taylor Chorney is a HS junior right now, as is Brian Lee. (No LOIs possible.)

Tim Hennessy may have made a report about a Chorney verbal. And remember, Tim Hennessy is media (Clear Channel North Dakota - KKXL-AM) and can report whatever he chooses.

Yes, this sounds like word-mining, but that's how the NCAA operates.

Anybody know what the deal w/ Genoway is? 

Blais said there were "about five guys" who weren't playing up to their potential since the Golden Boys returned. I'm guessing that Genoway is one of them. Also consider the fact that David Lundbohm has been playing much better, as described in this story by Virg Foss in today's GF Herald.

What's it say about the depth of this team when a center of Genoway's ability is on the fourth line? :huh:

Thanks for the recaps PCM, it is much appreciated. It would be nice if the team could settle on a number one goaltender. I thought that for sure was going to be Brandt until the Denver series. With playoff hockey coming up it would be good to have someone be the go to guy. It is Ok to have a rotation throughout the year to keep guys fresh but this is the time of the year when both goalies need to know where they stand.

Genoway will make UND's fourth line good! IMO, when Lundbohm is playing the way he can (and has been as of late).....it's a no brainer to play the senior over Genoway. Colby did fine against some "weaker" teams when Lundbohm was struggling.

He has the skills and is more experienced, and stronger than Genoway. It's not a demotion for Genoway, as much as it is somewhere where Lundbohm belongs. Alternate captain, senior, etc.