SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Scores & News

bincitysioux

Wyoming 17 Montana 12 bad luck for Montana on the 2 point conversion.

Wyo bought into Bohl's discipline on the field.  The D played very well.  The offense is learning the new system, but even if they knew it, it doesn't look like they have a QB that can play that system.  MWC games are going to be rough.  Montana is a very good FCS team.  The Pokes were deeper and better conditioned.  Montana was gassed at the end of a game that even had several delays due to weather conditions. 

Wyo bought into Bohl's discipline on the field.  The D played very well.  The offense is learning the new system, but even if they knew it, it doesn't look like they have a QB that can play that system.  MWC games are going to be rough.  Montana is a very good FCS team.  The Pokes were deeper and better conditioned.  Montana was gassed at the end of a game that even had several delays due to weather conditions. 

How was attendance overall and were there lots of Montana fans?

How was attendance overall and were there lots of Montana fans?

I wasn't there. I was helping a friend move here in Ft. Collins.  I listened on the radio driving the truck.   I'll have to check the boxscore.  I did hear that a lot of the Montana tickets were sold to locals.  It was almost sold out before the game, but it looked like the weather (thunderstorm, lightning...) kept some people away.  

I did hear some loud roars when they got their TDs.  Plus, a noisy rendition of Ragtime Cowboy Joe.  

I should go to the Air Force game next weekend! 

I wasn't there. I was helping a friend move here in Ft. Collins.  I listened on the radio driving the truck.   I'll have to check the boxscore.  I did hear that a lot of the Montana tickets were sold to locals.  It was almost sold out before the game, but it looked like the weather (thunderstorm, lightning...) kept some people away.  

I did hear some loud roars when they got their TDs.  Plus, a noisy rendition of Ragtime Cowboy Joe.  

I should go to the Air Force game next weekend! 

How much is capacity there?

How much is capacity there?

I think around 35,000.  But, that's if they add endzone seats.  Otherwise, 30,000.  Just off the top of my head... 

It's really a lot of fun there.  I'll wear my Sioux gear in 2015.  Gotta go with the undergrad school. 

If UND goes FBS and gets either a new stadium or a Memorial Stadium upgrade they should target that number 30-35k.

I think any school contemplating a move to FBS (At least the current FBS model) needs a stadium that size. 

However, I wonder what is going to happen with the new Power 5 situation...I think things are going to change drastically for programs like Colorado State, Wyoming, Eastern Michigan, Ball State, etc...

I think any school contemplating a move to FBS (At least the current FBS model) needs a stadium that size. 

However, I wonder what is going to happen with the new Power 5 situation...I think things are going to change drastically for programs like Colorado State, Wyoming, Eastern Michigan, Ball State, etc...

Laramie has a population of 30,816 almost half of Grand Forks. If they can fill a stadium with that, and with Wyoming having a population of less of ND by 100,000 30-35 would be perfect for the future.

Laramie is just under a hour from Cheyenne and isn't far from the Denver metro area.

A lot of UW alumni live in Northern Colorado (about 1,000,000 folks) and Denver Metro area.  That is a plus.  But, Laramie is at 7220 feet...notorious for early nasty winter weather conditions.  Plus, you have to drive over a 9,000+ foot pass to get there either through Cheyenne or Hwy 287 north of Fort Collins.  Attendance can be spotty due to these conditions. 

But, put a decent product on the field, you'll draw fans. 

A lot of UW alumni live in Northern Colorado (about 1,000,000 folks) and Denver Metro area.  That is a plus.  But, Laramie is at 7220 feet...notorious for early nasty winter weather conditions.  Plus, you have to drive over a 9,000+ foot pass to get there either through Cheyenne or Hwy 287 north of Fort Collins.  Attendance can be spotty due to these conditions. 

But, put a decent product on the field, you'll draw fans. 

That is what I'm hoping Bubba will do.

It's going to be tough for a few years.  Hopefully, he will.  I think the IPF will probably help recruiting more than a win over a team like San Jose State. 

Once Bubba gets more players (ira touched on that with his post) then we can really see what Bubba can do with "his" team. 

You're talking about a 20,000-25,000 increase in average attendance over the largest crowds now!

But with FBS teams, a good product and a population increase in 10+ years, it can happen. Look at hockey. from an arena that was 6,067 to over 11,000 and continued sellouts, or to stay with football we went from 6-7k at Memorial Stadium on average to over 11k for most games in 2001-2007 thats almost double. Its doable when the conditions are right.

• Upvote 2

But with FBS teams, a good product and a population increase in 10+ years, it can happen. Look at hockey. from an arena that was 6,067 to over 11,000 and continued sellouts, or to stay with football we went from 6-7k at Memorial Stadium on average to over 11k for most games in 2001-2007 thats almost double. Its doable when the conditions are right.

And what FBS opponents are you talking here? Sure, 35,000 would show up to see Michigan or Wisconsin come to Grand Forks. You think that many would come to see Troy or Tulane as opposed to Montana or Eastern Washington?

Go ahead...call me skeptical...

And what FBS opponents are you talking here? Sure, 35,000 would show up to see Michigan or Wisconsin come to Grand Forks. You think that many would come to see Troy or Tulane as opposed to Montana or Eastern Washington?

Go ahead...call me skeptical...

It depends if SV's theory and Fullerton's idea goes to plan and we become a Big Sky FBS conference then we see the usual teams but we could get a Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Washington, USC, etc. 2 for 1's help with that. Like I said if UND has a great product on the field people will go to the game, if we stay at 3-8 no one will show. It depends on the conditions.