SiouxSports.com Forum

Future UND/ Bison football Game

Dagger

I believe that Ogden, Utah is much further away from Fargo than Grand Forks. At least for those of us that can read a map... :silly:

You are correct, however they fit our scheduling template even though we travel to them this year. It allows us to still have 6 home games, play an FBS game and play a cupcake game (actually two if you count them -Weber St- as a cupcake). Bringing in Montana as a good OOC game is nice as well.

Any other year until 2019 (I believe and correct me if i am wrong) is an 11 game regular season. Traveling for an OOC game screws up our scheduling.

At present UND does not have much in the way of negotiating power to demand a home game. At present NDSU is the defending champion and UND is essentially a cupcake based on the past few seasons. All of that may well change in the future at which time UND may have some leverage and NDSU may not.

Personally. I don't want to play UND in any sports during the regular season. Nothing good will come from it for either school. In today's political climate it's just not a smart move to pit us against each other. There will be Sioux Suck !@#$ chants from at least some of the Bison fans regardless of what mascot is on your jersey in future years and there will be "!@#$ the Bison" chants coming from UND fans. None of which will play out well in the media. It's a political hot potato that both schools should do their best to stay the hell away from.

You chose to go Big Sky, we ultimately ended up in the MVFC. Even though we wanted BSC to begin with I think NDSU ended up in the better geographic conference.

You are correct, however they fit our scheduling template even though we travel to them this year. It allows us to still have 6 home games, play an FBS game and play a cupcake game (actually two if you count them -Weber St- as a cupcake). Bringing in Montana as a good OOC game is nice as well.

Any other year until 2019 (I believe and correct me if i am wrong) is an 11 game regular season. Traveling for an OOC game screws up our scheduling.

At present UND does not have much in the way of negotiating power to demand a home game. At present NDSU is the defending champion and UND is essentially a cupcake based on the past few seasons. All of that may well change in the future at which time UND may have some leverage and NDSU may not.

Personally. I don't want to play UND in any sports during the regular season. Nothing good will come from it for either school. In today's political climate it's just not a smart move to pit us against each other. There will be Sioux Suck !@#$ chants from at least some of the Bison fans regardless of what mascot is on your jersey in future years and there will be "!@#$ the Bison" chants coming from UND fans. None of which will play out well in the media. It's a political hot potato that both schools should do their best to stay the hell away from.

You chose to go Big Sky, we ultimately ended up in the MVFC. Even though we wanted BSC to begin with I think NDSU ended up in the better geographic conference.

Fine, tell GT to take UND off of the basketball schedule and replace us with Mayville State or Valley City State, I am sure you will pack the place.

Fine, tell GT to take UND off of the basketball schedule and replace us with Mayville State or Valley City State, I am sure you will pack the place.

This tell GT this and tell BF this is starting to wear a little thin. If all this telling is so damn important why don't you schedule a personal meeting with them and explain your perspective. Neither Brian nor Gene are inherently bad and sinister people. They are no different than the rest of us. Although after reading some of these posts on various message boards, I am beginning to question whether some people deserve that benefit of the doubt. :unsure:

• Upvote 1

This tell GT this and tell BF this is starting to wear a little thin. If all this telling is so damn important why don't you schedule a personal meeting with them and explain your perspective. Neither Brian nor Gene are inherently bad and sinister people. They are no different than the rest of us. Although after reading some of these posts on various message boards, I am beginning to question whether some people deserve that benefit of the doubt. :unsure:

If it's wearing thin don't read it, don't respond to it.

I am not the one who just said they don't want to schedule UND in any sport, so I think your response should be to the Bison fan and not me.

I believe the excuse train has left the station - it's been said many times, UND is willing to restart the rivalry based on what's best for the state - not because of issues in filling their schedule. How's that "negotiating power" at FU helping fill their schedule, UNDs is just about full and no DIIs or Mothers of Mercy on it? If all schools stopped playing each other because of what a few stupid fans might say I doubt there would be any rivalry games anywhere. Small time thinking is it's a "Better Geographic Fit" (or the reality of you found a conference that would take you). Big time thinking is what conference brings more to the table, is more stable and best fits the profile of the school. UND had choices.
  • Upvote 2

I am not the one who just said they don't want to schedule UND in any sport, so I think your response should be to the Bison fan and not me.

A little overly sensitive there darell1976? UND fan or NDSU fan, whining birds of a feather flock together! :)

I believe the excuse train has left the station - it's been said many times, UND is willing to restart the rivalry based on what's best for the state - not because of issues in filling their schedule. How's that "negotiating power" at FU helping fill their schedule, UNDs is just about full and no DIIs or Mothers of Mercy on it? If all schools stopped playing each other because of what a few stupid fans might say I doubt there would be any rivalry games anywhere. Small time thinking is it's a "Better Geographic Fit" (or the reality of you found a conference that would take you). Big time thinking is what conference brings more to the table, is more stable and best fits the profile of the school. UND had choices.

Neither UND or NDSU is in the best conference in regards to true stability and their institutional profile. That's not an opinion, that's a fact for anyone that's truly a big time thinker! I actually don't disagree with everything you are attempting to say, but affiliations with the BSC, SL, MVFC, WAC, and WWC are not examples of BIG TIME CONFERENCES. Setting your sights to low, selling yourself short, or on the part of some maybe just a tad of an inferiority complex has been a millstone around this State's neck for a long time. I personally feel that is changing, but it's been a slow process. It's like that feeble attempt by some State leader's that went down to the NCAA with "hat in hand" to preserve the Sioux logo. What a joke! The Great State of North Dakota has tremendous bargaining power whether it be energy, agriculture, fiscal strength, or technology to name a few. We need to start flexing our muscles as a State instead of acting as a red headed stepchild in regards to higher education and intercollegiate athletics. Like them or not our State had two university presidents that thought that way, one has passed on in Tom Clifford and the other was pressured out of town in Joe Chapman. It will be interesting to see if the two presidents UND and NDSU have now will be able to advance the cause of elevating our State to even greater heights. You have to lead from the front!

If I had that kind of sway with him I would.

If they are willing to restart it sign the current offer on the table. Two games both in Fargo. Personally, I'd rather not see it for reasons stated above.

As for the no DII's that happened after one of your conference mates bought out at the last moment. As for Incarnate Word.... well, they play Baylor in a few years so they mustn't be all that awful to schedule?

I stated publicly that NDSU initially WANTED to go BSC. It didn't work out. Ultimately we ended up in the MVFC. In hindsight that was the best thing that ever happened to our program(s). Were we kinda forced into it? Yes, but you mention options. The BSC was (I believe) the only conference that would take UND because of the nickname controversy. I don't believe MVFC was an option. If it was then why didn't UND do what was best for the state and join so they could play against their traditional rivals (NDSU, USD, SDSU) on a regular basis?

That seems logical to me.

If they are willing to restart it sign the current offer on the table. Two games both in Fargo. Personally, I'd rather not see it for reasons stated above.

As for the no DII's that happened after one of your conference mates bought out at the last moment. As for Incarnate Word.... well, they play Baylor in a few years so they mustn't be all that awful to schedule?

I stated publicly that NDSU initially WANTED to go BSC. It didn't work out. Ultimately we ended up in the MVFC. In hindsight that was the best thing that ever happened to our program(s). Were we kinda forced into it? Yes, but you mention options. The BSC was (I believe) the only conference that would take UND because of the nickname controversy. I don't believe MVFC was an option. If it was then why didn't UND do what was best for the state and join so they could play against their traditional rivals (NDSU, USD, SDSU) on a regular basis?

What's logical long term? The BSC or MVFC for football! In the final analysis it is like asking someone who won the AAA baseball World Series. It's still the minor leagues!

What's logical long term? The BSC or MVFC for football! In the final analysis it is like asking someone who won the AAA baseball World Series. It's still the minor leagues!

Long term: mvfc. If UND were smart they would all to join. BSC is an economic drain for a team so far east of the footprint.

We would like to trade darell1976 to NDSU for a used typewriter ribbon and some whiteout.

• Upvote 1

Don't let facts get in your way. UND had an invite for a visit from MVFC Summit at the same time they had an offer from the Big Sky. UND needed a conference for football - Big Sky offered it all. Of course FU trolls now say they didn't want Big Sky anyway - after being turned down twice.

Don't let facts get in your way. UND had an invite for a visit from MVFC at the same time they had an offer from the Big Sky. UND needed a conference for football - Big Sky offered it all. Of course FU trolls now say they didn't want Big Sky anyway - after being turned down twice.

UND had an invite for visit from the Summit League, not the MVFC. Hence, the move to the Big Sky.

Don't let facts get in your way. UND had an invite for a visit from MVFC at the same time they had an offer from the Big Sky. UND needed a conference for football - Big Sky offered it all. Of course FU trolls now say they didn't want Big Sky anyway - after being turned down twice.

I think that visit was from the Summit League not the MVFC. MVFC never wanted UND due to too many teams and geography (eastern schools didn't want an extra trip to the Dakota's). They snuck in a deal with USD, but not with both UXD's.

Have you looked ahead to your 2015 schedule yet? A whole one year away and your "scheduling template" excuse doesn't hold up.

The fact that there is this much chatter about UND-NDSU scheduling non-conference games just shows how screwed up this whole situation has been made by both Gene Taylor and Brian Faison. I look at Colorado-Colorado State, Iowa-Iowa State, Florida-Florida State, Utah-Utah State, etc. etc. and see that they just do the most obvious thing and just schedule each other! The fact this whole UND-NDSU scheduling conversation even exists is embarrassing to the state of North Dakota and UND/NDSU.

• Upvote 1

As for Incarnate Word.... well, they play Baylor in a few years so they mustn't be all that awful to schedule?

There you have it. "Cow college logic" at its finest. Of all the ridiculous things you post here, this one has to be up there. And you dont want to schedule UND because it wouldn't be healthy because of the name-calling. When in fact FU and its fanbase will continue to do it like they have been even though we havent been playing in football. So whats the difference? Its obvious to me that most FU fans just want to avoid playing UND at all costs, only because they dont want to chance actually losing the game, like they have in every other sport this year.