SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux - Denver - Friday Postgame Comments

farce poobah

First, I gotta take off the chopper mitts and salute the 11,295 fans who made the trip to The Ralph on a night when the temp was -31. While it was a quiet crowd - numb from the cold? - it was indeed a full house. Just amazing.

I give the Sioux effort an A tonight. THe pace of play was outstanding, feet were moving, no defensive lapses (did DU have any oddman rushes?), all around solid effort. One thing about the Sioux this year is they come ready to play.

I am now convinced that Parise is the best 19-year old hockey player in the world. He plays as close to flawless hockey as is possible. He backchecks very VERY well, stopping a couple good scoring chances tonight with well placed stick, he's as good a penalty killer in green and white as I've seen in 30 years, he will throw a solid body check when called for (Hello, Ballard) and his work with the puck is outstanding. Tonight, he picked at least 3 pucks out of midair. And the last Sioux goal was vintage Zach, blocks a clearing attempt, chases down the puck, makes a play, feeds a teammate, and gets it back after a great goalmouth feed, burying the puck before Fisher could get across his net. I tell ya, this is hockey played at its finest level, every shift, every night.

Brady Murray showed outstanding quickness tonight. He had at least 3 clean breakaways, which I think is 3 more than DU had as a team. He also picked pucks out of midair and scored on one (just below waist high).

Bo-Zach-Brady made a very good DU team look like Bismarck HS. Tremendous chemistry.

I agree with Blais, Lundbohm may have been the best forward tonight. He too had a bunch of chances, and saved a handful with good backchecking. If he plays to potential down the stretch, the Sioux will be well nigh unstoppable. Playing with Porter and Stafford seems good; should be a good combination.

Lines 2-3-4 looked at times like lines that had been shuffled; not totally clicking all the time.

Prpich-McMahon-Hale had solid games. They played old fashioned dump and chase hockey, forced turnovers, and made DU take it 200 feet very well.

Massen-Fylling-Genoway, perhaps most of all, looked like guys that hadn't played together. VERY SCARY to think the WCHA assists leader played on our "fourth" line.

I think there's more line tweaking to come, but I wouldn't be surprised if Saturday's lineup is unchanged. Everyone playing was solid; nobody with an off game, no really bad penalties.

The "D" was solid for the most part. On a limited number of occasions, DU created some confusion in our defensive zone, but generally the shots were not in close, JPar got good looks, and rebounds got swept away.

Andy Schneider got turned a couple times; at times I wonder if he's got a nagging leg/knee/foot injury. But he also made a lot of tough plays look really easy because his positioning and anticipation are so strong. I also think he feels some extra burden playing with Smaby, as he is less inclined to jump into the offensive play this year, as opposed to last year playing with D Hale a lot.

Speaking of Smaby, he looks better all the time. The speed of the game seems to be slowing down for him.

Jones, Greene, and Fuher all had solid games. Physical when called for. Held the red line for long stretches of time, especially last half of the first period. Marvin was the sixth D, what with Bina under the weather. Didn't see a lot of ice time.

JPar did his usual good job of stopping the first shot. He's rarely out of position for the first shot, and with our "D", he doesn't see a lot of second or third shots.

Against a top-ten opponent, this was as close to perfect hockey as any fan could dream about. All I can say is enjoy it while it lasts. These guys are fun to watch.

I have to say that it was a great first period. I was at the game and wow! The Ralph was rockin'. Some great goals by Murray and Lundb(l)ohm. It was a lot of fun to watch and be apart of. When the fans get that excited for a team like Denver you know you have great fans and a great team. The beginning of the second period things sort of died down but it was great nonetheless.

It will be harder for the Sioux tonight but I think they will come out hungry once again.

Farce is right, so I am just going to add on a few notes from my perspective:

The Massen line didn't look that great although Massen looks like he's regaining his speed, which is good. I think he really needs more playing time.

Ryan Hale had some incredible chances and, unlike last year, he put the puck into different parts of the goalie. That means that sooner or later, one's going to go in.

Marvin was alright, but I want Bina! The little guy could really do well to take the burden off of Greene of putting the smack down on those cheap-arsed Pioneers Keith and Caldwell!

Lukas Dora injured? Do I care? Feel bad that he's injured, but I couldn't care less if he steps on the ice tonight. Cheap player.

Smaby DOES look good. Remember folks, Smaby is NOT an offensive D-man, nor will he ever really be. The fact that he already has his first collegiate goal in his freshman year (something Greene nor, I believe, Commodore did) only puts him at a bonus.

I am starting to think that Schneider is overburdened not just on the ice but off of it. Captaincy is a burden because you start to feel responsibility and ownership towards the play and actions towards the coaches, other players, and fans. It can divert minds away from the game. And I am in favor of Schneider being placed with Smaby. His experience is very beneficial and it frees up Jones to be placed with Greene, which is one of the best defensive combos in college hockey.

Porter and the entire first line shined tonight. Genoway, though, needs to be with Porter and Lundbohm. But that would probably mess up the centering.

DU is cheap folks. Let's take it to them again tonight.

Actually, on paper, UND's fourth line was Prpich-McMahon-Hale. But that's what's so great about this team. There's not a huge amount of difference between lines 2-4, so it doesn't really matter where someone plays.

Lundbohm seems to have it going now. If Massen can start contributing, too, there's almost no stopping the Sioux.

Hey Forecheck-- I saw you on TV with your Money Line sign! You're supposed to wave when the camera pans to you. :);)

My first reaction is to cover my face with the sign. :(

You know the students are in fine form when the (DU) players spit in their faces and slash them across the collar bone from the penalty box. Good stuff. I thought we needed a sign that said something like "Keith doesn't swallow, he spits," but no way would that get through security. :sad: There were more students present during warmups than there has been all season, and they were loud. I think everyone missed having home hockey games every weekend.

Could you get in the arena as early as possible and make it in there?

Not really. Regardless, they've actually checked signs twice. First time at the gates and sometimes they'll recheck them at our seats. Be that as it may, the guy that comes to our seats is pretty cool.

Hey I like Parise as much as anyone but I still think Rick Nash in Columbus is a little better since he has 31 goals in the NHL as a 19 year old. Notice I only said a little better :)

If Nash is so good, why did he chicken out of playing against Zach at the WJC?

Besides, Nash has played more games, he doesn't have to drag around 3 guys on his back for the whole game, and the NHL is overrated. ;)

If Nash is so good, why did he chicken out of playing against Zach at the WJC?

Besides, Nash has played more games, he doesn't have to drag around 3 guys on his back for the whole game, and the NHL is overrated. ;)

Nash didn't compete in the WJC because he didn't have a choice. Unlike in Major Juniors, juniors, or even college hockey, pro players are under contract. Therefore, permission must be recieved from the team who owns the player's rights in order to compete in the competition. That's why Kesler, Burns, Fritsche (sp?), Fleury, and some others were allowed to go and not Nash. Nash was needed in Columbus so permission wasn't granted.

In juniors or college hockey, it's the player's decision, not the team's. See the difference or was I being to confusing?

I agree with much of Farce Poobah had to say. Just got back today from a fun weekend in GF of hockey with good friends.

I would say that I think Stafford looked a bit slow on Friday. I wonder if he's getting tired out. I wasn't too surprised to see him placed on a different line on Sat and I thought he played a bit better.

I think Schneider is looking better than when I saw him in St. Cloud. Handled the puck with more authority this weekend I thought.

Fun game to watch, nice to see the boys dominate from start to finish.

And Parise........Wow. He works so hard, every shift. And what FP said about killing penalties.

Nash didn't compete in the WJC because he didn't have a choice. Unlike in Major Juniors, juniors, or even college hockey, pro players are under contract. Therefore, permission must be recieved from the team who owns the player's rights in order to compete in the competition. That's why Kesler, Burns, Fritsche (sp?), Fleury, and some others were allowed to go and not Nash. Nash was needed in Columbus so permission wasn't granted.

In juniors or college hockey, it's the player's decision, not the team's. See the difference or was I being to confusing?

No, I got it the first time; I was just being thick. ;)

Your point is well taken.

Not really. Regardless, they've actually checked signs twice. First time at the gates and sometimes they'll recheck them at our seats. Be that as it may, the guy that comes to our seats is pretty cool.

I've never had the signs checked twice (in the same night)...The security guard came up to forecheck and myself on Fiday and said we need to make more double meaning signs (he specified one that says " so-and-so swings both ways"...He actually requested it for next time).

The kid who got slashed came to the game Saturday night with a helmet on...classic :)

Parise played very well on Saturday (both of them). I think we just missed too many nets and too many opportunities on Saturday. I'll give DU credit though, finally figured out that if they try to skate WITH us...they get scored on at least 6 times. They reverted back to ye olde defensive clutch and grab. It got them a point.