SiouxSports.com Forum

UND may vacate 8 buildings

nodak651

I imagine many of these services could be moved to the old med school when the new one is finished. The buildings being vacated will be demolished and most likely replaced with something to further develop the school.

I believe that is the plan. While the med school may be incredibly outdated for its current use, they will be able to convert it into a useful building for multiple things. There isn't a whole lot of extra room on campus, getting rid of some of those buildings will help them free up some.

Don't most of those mentioned front onto University? Seems like prime real estate for a new, better building for _______.

And I'd been wondering what happens to the old Med School building.

(I'm assuming the "student housing building" is the conference center across from the Union/parking ramp.)

I used to study in the old med school building and think it is pretty damn cool on the inside... should be a pretty great place for whoever gets moved in there. Was happy reading the article.

I think the business school needs to get built as soon as possible... place is a dump.

I imagine that the vacating of Chandler Hall makes room for the (much needed) expansion and renovation of Gamble Hall (business school), which is right next door. This would be a major upgrade for UND as Chandler is an absolute eye sore, and Gamble is in a very prominent spot in campus that is very visible.

Has anyone heard anything about the university's intention for the old presidents house? The alumni association (I think) was working out of there, but moved to the new Gorecki Alumni Center, and the old presidents house is now unoccupied.

They want to keep the house, but they didn't have a specific purpose for it as of late last fall. There will be a lot of movement over the next few years with the new Med school building, moving offices into the old Med school and taking some of these other buildings off line.

They want to keep the house, but they didn't have a specific purpose for it as of late last fall. There will be a lot of movement over the next few years with the new Med school building, moving offices into the old Med school and taking some of these other buildings off line.

I had heard several years ago that the plan was to move it to a lot across the street. The old presidents house is imo the best looking building on campus. I would be more disgruntled than normal if it came down. Babcock imo should be saved as well.

I had heard several years ago that the plan was to move it to a lot across the street. The old presidents house is imo the best looking building on campus. I would be more disgruntled than normal if it came down. Babcock imo should be saved as well.

I had also heard that they were looking at moving the president's house, but they hadn't made any decisions yet. I don't see them tearing it down.

• 2 months later...

Dean Elbert (UND College of Business Dean) talked to a class I was in today and said that right now, the most likely location for the new college of business is where the Strinden Center is. The Strinden Center is going to be used by the law school faculty while their building undergoes renovations, and will then be torn down, making room for a new business building. He also said that UND is on its own to raise the funds for the project (about $45 million), but will hopefully get some sort of fund matching program from the state legislature this coming session, and that some area businesses have already made pledges for the new building.

He also said that moving the old president's house is not being discussed anymore as it was simply too expensive to move. The old president's house cannot be torn down as it is on the national register of historic places.

I remember when the dean would come in and fill our heads full ofvcrap the last week in school

Yes, for the most part, that's what it was, talking to a capstone class of graduating students letting them know that UND will gladly take their money after they graduate. But I did find that part interesting as I have been wondering what their plan was.

Dean Elbert (UND College of Business Dean) talked to a class I was in today and said that right now, the most likely location for the new college of business is where the Strinden Center is. The Strinden Center is going to be used by the law school faculty while their building undergoes renovations, and will then be torn down, making room for a new business building. He also said that UND is on its own to raise the funds for the project (about $45 million), but will hopefully get some sort of fund matching program from the state legislature this coming session, and that some area businesses have already made pledges for the new building.

He also said that moving the old president's house is not being discussed anymore as it was simply too expensive to move. The old president's house cannot be torn down as it is on the national register of historic places.

Strinden location isn't very big. It makes more sense to me to tear down Chandler (SW of Gamble). I wonder what they'd do with Gamble hall in the Strinden scenario.

Strinden location isn't very big. It makes more sense to me to tear down Chandler (SW of Gamble). I wonder what they'd do with Gamble hall in the Strinden scenario.

That's what I always thought the plan was, and I agree that the footprint that the Strinden Center sits on is not very large. If I recall correctly, Elbert said that Gamble hall would be "repurposed," but he did not elaborate. UND could potentially have a lot of space to repurpose with the med school building, and (potentially) gamble hall, those are large buildings.