SiouxSports.com Forum

High-Stick Call

GO4-4LIFE

No one else recognizes it as it is akin to a club title. However, in pulling up the past champions, you may find this interesting:

Of the past 34 NCAA titles (1970-2003), the WCHA has won 17, the CCHA 7, HE 6 and the ECHA 3. In that period, UND, UM and UW have 5. BU has 4, LSSU 3, and Maine and Michigan 2. In the past 25 years, UND has 5, UM and UW 3, Michigan and Maine have 2 each. In the past 10 years, UND, UM, and Michigan have 2, with Maine, BU, BC and LSSU 1 each.

In the 70's, the WCHA won 6 titles, HE 3 and ECHA 1.

In the 80's, the WCHA won 5, CCHA 3, HE 1 and ECHA 1.

In the 90's, the WCHA won 3, CCHA 4, HE 3.

In 2000, the WCHA 3 and HE 1.

Based on this, it does appear that the WCHA is the dominant conference. Also, if you base this upon championships, UND, UM and UW are the top programs with BU, Michigan, Maine and and LSSU on the heels.

I'd agree the WCHA is THE league to be in and play against. Unfortunatly that YAHOO over at CSTV thinks HE is the dominant league with the WCHA not as strong.

To quote him:

"1. Hockey East: You have Boston College, Maine and New Hampshire all ranked among the top six teams in the nation, and UMass is another top-10 team. But to me, Hockey East

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd agree the WCHA is THE league to be in and play against. Unfortunatly that YAHOO over at CSTV thinks HE is the dominant league with the WCHA not as strong.

To quote him:

"1. Hockey East: You have Boston College, Maine and New Hampshire all ranked among the top six teams in the nation, and UMass is another top-10 team. But to me, Hockey East

The U of M hockey program recognizes the 1940 AAU title, for several reasons in my opinion. :glare:

1. Mariucci was on that team.

2. They went 18-0-0, and won the AAU tourney against collegiate opponents. I knew the teams once, but have forgotten.

3. Sanctioned "NCAA" play was only eight years away. This was likely as good as it got.

The Gopher's 2002 NCAA video mentions being co-National Champions with Yale in 1929, but that year gets no love at Mariucci.

I don't see that banner ever coming down as that team has the namesake of the arena.

Thanks for the info Sagard.

NDH - To answer your questions.

1. I will stick with NCAA titles in my sig line. While the AAU title is certainly an outstanding accomplishment, it seems like a reach to me to add it. Now if I was a JBSU fan.... :glare:

2. Can't go to the fleet and don't have tix. It's Easter weekend and my wife and I 1) don't want to be away from the kids at that time and 2) are already bringing them to Palm Desert, CA for a week in Feb. They can't miss anymore school and after golfing down there for a week I will have very little $$$$ left. :huh:

Sagard & WPoS more than covered the rest.

Good luck against DU and for the rest of the regular season. I'm in the unusual position of cheering for UND for the balance of the season. I've conceded the MacNaughton to UND and anytime y'all beat up other WCHA teams it can't hurt the Gophers in the race for number 2. :lol:

No one else recognizes it as it is akin to a club title.

I think it is more akin to the NIT Tourney for basketball before the NCAA tourney existed. There was an organized national tourney, but the NCAA hadn't invented itself yet.

Club is glorified intramurals to me. Of course, it obviously would mean more to schools who were playing then.

I spoke out on the CSTV thing and I'll see what happens. It was about the most memorable moment. I spoke about UND's 2000 Frozen Four and how they beat Maine and then beat the Eagles. I was not to flattering towards ESPN or Hockey East. I even included the conference info (NC comparison). Doubt it will get published but it is up now. :glare:

Hockey East will always get the media attention etc. simply because of the population of the area it encompasses. Major city universities and universities with successful D-I programs in other sports also get more attention. If you look at the WCHA, only MN and WI meet that criteria, that is why whenever they have a decent player he gets the Hobey or everytime they have a decent year the media can't stop talking about it. Bottom line is that hockey is a regional sport that has a couple of highly successful programs and a bunch of also rans. UND, MN, MI, ME, or BC will win the NCAAs this year and every year that follows.