SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL.COM all-time first round picks

yzerman19

Anybody been watching the choices pop up on NHL.com? Criteria is that the player had to be drafted, in the first round, at a certain number. Example, Ken Dryden was a dominant goalie and was selected 14th overall, but in 1964, that was the third round...NHL.com has been doing it in reverse order and has made it to #21 and Kevin Lowe.

Here are my picks for #1-#20...clearly there is interpretation here, so we can have a fun little discussion.

1 Mario Lemieux 2 Marcel Dionne 3 Denis Savard 4 Steve Yzerman 5 Scott Stevens 6 Paul Coffey 7 Bernie Federko 8 Ray Bourque 9 Brian Leetch 10 Teemu Selanne 11 Jerome Iginila 12 Marian Hossa 13 JS Giguere 14 Brian Propp 15 Mike Bossy 16 Dave Andrychuk 17 Zach Parise 18 Ken Daneyko 19 Keith Tkachuk 20 Martin Brodeur

I debated hard between Scott Stevens and Jaromir Jagr at #5...tough to call that one in my opinion.

I also debated Mike Bossy vs Joe Sakic at #15, but the Islanders dominance with a healthy Bossy and his 50 goals every year put him in.

If memory serves' Gretzky started in the (former) IHL and was picked up by the Oilers when the Indianapolis Racers folded.

Yup, Wayne wasn't drafted...he was actually playing pro at 16 in the WHA. Think about that...

Also think about the fact that his worst season, the last one in his storied career, he still scored 62 points.

A highly regarded center like say, Jordan Staal, has never scored more than 50 points in a season.

Yup, Wayne wasn't drafted...he was actually playing pro at 16 in the WHA. Think about that...

Also think about the fact that his worst season, the last one in his storied career, he still scored 62 points.

A highly regarded center like say, Jordan Staal, has never scored more than 50 points in a season.

The Great One also holds 61 NHL records. But some people think he's overrated because he couldn't fight. :silly: The bottom line is, I don't think anyone will ever touch some of those records.

I've never heard anyone say Wayne is overrated. Wow- that's just crazy. Not only was he the most prolific scorer in terms of both finishing and playmaking, but also his teams won championships.

There are some internet trolls who post crap on YouTube videos about how overrated he is and how he wouldn't do anything against today's goaltenders. Also a prominent Grand Forks radio host (Bill Tanner of the Big Dogz) basically said he wasn't a fan of The Great One because he couldn't fight. There are more of them than you think; they just keep it to themselves most of the time.

I agree that Wayne wouldn't score 90 goals in the current NHL, but I firmly believe in his prime he would be 50-60 goal 80-90 assist guy in today's NHL. That blows everyone away...remember, only Steve Yzerman, Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky, Bernie Nichols and Phil Esposito ever scored 150 points in an NHL season. Jagr and Lafontaine each came really close...Wayne did it 9 times.

There are some internet trolls who post crap on YouTube videos about how overrated he is and how he wouldn't do anything against today's goaltenders. Also a prominent Grand Forks radio host (Bill Tanner of the Big Dogz) basically said he wasn't a fan of The Great One because he couldn't fight. There are more of them than you think; they just keep it to themselves most of the time.

The game has changed with the new Cabron Fiber sticks and the goalies pads make the goaltenders like Stay Puft Marshmallow Man Bank, no one can score anymore. The Great one was a good hockey player, in my opinion, one of the best that ever played the game. ghostbusters-stay-puft-marshmallow-man-bank-xl.jpg

Edited by Goon

The game has changed with the new Cabron Fiber sticks and the goalies pads make the goaltenders like Stay Puft Marshmallow Man Bank, no one can score anymore. The Great one was a good hockey player, in my opinion, one of the best that ever played the game. ghostbusters-stay-puft-marshmallow-man-bank-xl.jpg

Wayne has more assists than anyone else has points....and he leads the NHL in all time goals. End of story.

• Upvote 2

The Great one was a good hockey player, in my opinion, one of the best that ever played the game.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, Goon, so you're saying that in your opinion, Wayne Gretzky is one of the best to ever play hockey? Talk about going out on a limb! It's not like you're trying to put Marty McSorley in that category... :lol:

• Upvote 3

Whoa, whoa, whoa, Goon, so you're saying that in your opinion, Wayne Gretzky is one of the best to ever play hockey? Talk about going out on a limb! It's not like you're trying to put Marty McSorley in that category... :lol:

I was a great Wayne Gretky Fan... Loved the guy... I was laughing as the chair was going through my apartment wall. Left a nice hole in the wall. I didn't get my Security deposit back either. It was worth it though. I think the game has changed though. Can you imagine if the Great one had played with a Carbon Fiber Stick?

I was a great Wayne Gretky Fan... Loved the guy... I was laughing as the chair was going through my apartment wall. Left a nice hole in the wall. I didn't get my Security deposit back either. It was worth it though. I think the game has changed though. Can you imagine if the Great one had played with a Carbon Fiber Stick?

Chair going thru your apartment wall...security deposit...what's the first part of the story that I missed?

• Upvote 1