SiouxSports.com Forum

Fans going to Grand Rapids

mn_sioux

If you are feeling like big timing it, there are some great places to stay within an easy walk of the arena, including the Amway Grand and the JW Marriott. If you don't stay downtown, parking for the arena is easy and usually costs $8 for the night.

As I mentioned in another thread, Grand Rapids recently won the title of Beer City, USA. Lots of great microbrew here. Founders is a must-see, a brewery not far from the arena. Hopcat is a taproom within two blocks of the arena if you want to experience a wider variety of breweries. The Grand Rapids Brewing Company recently re-opened right across the street from the arena. The food is good, the beer is OK but nothing special. If you appreciate good beer, don't waste a minute going to the BW-3 right by the arena, you can find that anywhere. The B.O.B (Big Old Building) is also right across the street from the arena and gets a lot of business. It has a few different restaurants which are pretty good, as well.

Friday starts spring break week for Michigan public schools, so things might be a little slow around town, which I take as a good thing.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions about visiting GR. There are too many great restaurants to list them all, but I'm more than happy to make some suggestions if you let me know what you are looking for. There are lots of things to do in the down time between games, too. Just let me know.

As I mentioned in another thread, Grand Rapids recently won the title of Beer City, USA. Lots of great microbrew here. Founders is a must-see, a brewery not far from the arena.

Mmmmmmmm :D

I loaded up on Founders to bring home while in Minneapolis this past weekend and will do the same when I visit Michigan in July. I love their beer. Easily in the discussion for best brewery in America, IMO.

Apparently, the city of Grand Rapids has designated specific bars for each fan base. The team-specific bar will have a team flag on the outside, while offering specials to fans in the appropriate gear. The Sioux are at Grand Woods Lounge. I don't think there's an official gathering organized, though.

I didn't know where to write this and it might have been covered before elsewhere but here it goes. I was watching a recap of the Gophers women's hockey team on FSN lastnight and how they had a great season. My questions is, why the NCAA allows woman's hockey to play the Frozen Four at a teams home arena and they wont allow regionals for the men to be played on campus sites? Like I said, this could have been covered elsewhere but I never saw it.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't know where to write this and it might have been covered before elsewhere but here it goes. I was watching a recap of the Gophers women's hockey team on FSN lastnight and how they had a great season. My questions is, why the NCAA allows woman's hockey to play the Frozen Four at a teams home arena and they wont allow regionals for the men to be played on campus sites? Like I said, this could have been covered elsewhere but I never saw it.

Can you imagine the Women's Frozen Four involving North Dakota, Minnesota, Boston College, and Boston University...being played in Columbus, Ohio? Attendance: 750. That's why.

Minnesota's accomplishment was impressive...but not having to leave your own arena for the whole entire tournament certainly helped them.