SiouxSports.com Forum

Mr. Blais

siouxfan512

The Grand Forks Park District is trying to build 2 more indoor ice sheets because there isn't enough ice in town. If they got those built, then ice time might not be as much of a problem. But right now the park district hockey programs, high school hockey teams, ice skating club and independent groups are all fighting to find ice time indoors. The current arenas are used very early in the morning and late at night. And don't forget intramural sports using ice time at REA. East Grand Forks is just as bad. It would be hard to fit in regular ice time for another program like a midget team.

I never said it was going to be a for sure thing, I just said that they were looking into it a few years ago. Here is the article from the GF Herald you can only read it If you are a paid subscriber. http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/tag/tag/midget%20hockey%20program/

I never said it was going to be a for sure thing, I just said that they were looking into it a few years ago. Here is the article from the GF Herald you can only read it If you are a paid subscriber. http://www.grandfork...hockey program/

I remember when they were discussing the idea. I'm just explaining what some of the challenges would be, and at least part of the reason it hasn't happened yet. You said that there is enough ice in town where they could practice. I'm letting you know that other people believe there is already a shortage of available ice time, so adding another team that would need 1-2 hours per day is not really likely.

The Grand Forks Park District is trying to build 2 more indoor ice sheets because there isn't enough ice in town. If they got those built, then ice time might not be as much of a problem. But right now the park district hockey programs, high school hockey teams, ice skating club and independent groups are all fighting to find ice time indoors. The current arenas are used very early in the morning and late at night. And don't forget intramural sports using ice time at REA. East Grand Forks is just as bad. It would be hard to fit in regular ice time for another program like a midget team.

Heh. When I was a kid in GF, we had to fight for ice time outdoors. These guys need to toughen up. :)

Maybe posted elsewhere but see that UNO and the City of Omaha are committing, or are close to committing, $75M for a new on campus hockey facility.

I'm sure this is good news for their program, but from a visiting fan's perspective, it kind of sucks. Omaha's setup with the downtown Century Link Center is perfect for the visiting fan. I suppose the building is too big for UNO hockey (except for when UND is playing there), but it's a really nice setup.

• Upvote 1

Dumb question-do any youth teams practice outdoors ever? When its 20-30 degrees, do any go outside or are practices 100% indoors?

My son's mite team in Bloomington had outdoor practices typically once a week during the season. Lots of teams have an outdoor night in addition to their regular indoor practices.