SiouxSports.com Forum

Alaska series

schmidtdoggydog

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking about the lines for this weekend. I think I would announce a first line of:

Parise, Murray, Stafford

... and let the cheers rain down on them. Then I would go with:

Genoway, Bochenski, Fylling

McMahon, Prpich, Canady

Lundbohm, Porter, Hale

That would leave these guys out:

Palmiscno, Massen, Marvin, Fabian

... which is hard to do. The controversial choices would seem to be Canady and Hale. It sounded to me like Canady definitely earned his spot with solid and improving play over the last two weekends. Plus, he seems a good stylistic fit with the McMahon-Prpich combo. Hale stepped up his play in the holiday tourney, but I can't say how he looked against SCSU. Maybe other observers could help there.

I think Massen needs a few games to try and get his legs back. But who should sit for this to happen? Our fifth line would be a lot of D1 teams second line.

What I think is amazing is that the Sioux are leading the country in goals per game without the offensive output of last years leading scorers. Namely, Massen, Schneider and Lundbohm (although he is picking it up).

ZP is also down a little offensively, but he is a better 2 way player this year. He may be the best 2 way player in the country. It was interesting listening to the Devils scout on the radio last weekend talk about ZP, he seemed to think ZP is more of a defensive forward.

Schneider is probably the surprise of the year. He must not be at 100%. I understand the offensive output is not there because he is not getting the powerplay time he was last year, but his defensive struggles are surprising. I think some of the problems stem from trying to cover for Smaby. I don't like to speak ill of any Sioux players, but he has not impressed me at all. He is big and good in the corners, but he cannot make an outlet pass and he cannot shoot the puck. The talent is there, but it looks like he could have used a year playing juniors.

Next year the D-men are going to be fighting for ice time like the forwards are this year, with Beaverson and Radke coming in, and nobody leaving.

What does this have to do with Alaska? I guess the cold medicine made me lose focus. I say we sweep them and Fournier doesn't play after eating a tainted RP grinder.

Dogs go on the road to Denver this weekend. Should be a tough series with Denver at 8-2-2 in their last 12. Dogs are 8-3-1, but also are 4-3 over the last 3 hockey weekends. Hopefully Offensive Player of the Week Luke Stauffacher (5G, 2A vs. Bowling Green) can provide some needed scoring punch against a Denver team that has given up the third-most goals in the WCHA. UMD needs to tell Denver to "back off" this weekend with a sweep.

I posted this comparison of UND and UAA on USCHO and thought it might be of interest here, too.

The good news for UAA is that they rank 46th nationally in average penalty minutes per game. The bad news is that UND's 57th-ranked power play (9.1%) won't be on the ice very much. :angry:

The good news for UAA is that they have three players with 10 or more points per game. The bad news is that UND has 10 players in double figures. The worse news is that three of those Sioux players haven't even played the last four games. Bochenski alone has more points than UAA's second and third leading scorers combined.

UND has outscored its opponents 30-10 in the second period and 37-12 in the third period. The only period in which UAA has outscored opponents is in the second where it has a 17-15 advantage. UAA has been outscored in the first period 22-9.

UND averages 36.2 shots on goal per game and gives up an average of 21.6. UAA averages 23.7 shots on goal per game and gives up an average of 37.8.

National Rank in Team Stats

Winning Percentage

UND - #1 .853

UAA - #29 .500

Unbeaten Streak

UND - #1 8-0-1

UAA - #10 3-0-0

Scoring Offense

UND - #1 5.06 goals per game

UAA - #49 2.44 goals per game

Scoring Defense

UND - #8 2.35 goals per game

UAA - #45 3.38 goals per game

Average Scoring Margin

UND - #1 2.71

UAA - #50 -0.94

Average Penalty Minutes

UND - #19 17.2 per game

UAA - #46 13.9 per game

Power Play

UAA - #36 16.4%

UND - #57 9.1%

Penalty Kill

UND - #4 88.3%

UAA - #49 76.9%

National Rank in Individual Stats

Points Per Game

UND - #2 Bochenski 1.71; #12 Murray 1.31; #21 Parise 1.23; #34 Stafford 1.15; #41 Genoway 1.12

UAA - #36 Fournier 1.13; #38 Glencross 1.12

Goals Per Game

UND - #2 Bochenski .82; #63 Fylling .47; tie #64 Parise, Murray, Stafford .46

UAA - #33 Glencross .56; #92 Fournier .43

Assists Per Game

UND - #7 Bochenski .88; #12 Murray .85; #29 Parise .77; #30 Genoway .76; #40 Stafford .69

UAA - #36 Fournier .71; #86 Glencross .56

Rookie Points Per Game

UND - #2 Murray 1.31; #3 Stafford 1.15

UAA - #30 Smith .69

Goalie Stats

UND Goalies

Parise - .944 Win % (8-0-1); .873 Save %; 2.64 GAA

Brandt - .750 Win % (6-2-0); .910 Save %; 2.00 GAA

UAA Goalies

King - .562 Win % (4-3-1); .919 Save %; 3.13 GAA

Reiter - .438 Win % (3-4-1); .907 Save %; 3.34 GAA

Looking at PCM's stats it looks as though King has been the goaltender that has been better/gotten the most support from the team. Both tender's Save % are not bad being that UAA gives up nearly 40 shots a game on average.

My question is: As far as the WCHA is concerned, where does UND rank among WCHA teams as far as penalty minutes per game? 17th nationally in terms of penalty minutes is only because we've only gotten Anderson three times, Adam (I think) for one series and we have not seen D. Sheperd yet. I think if we got more Anderson, Adam, and Sheperd, we could break the top 10 in penalty minutes per game.

On a seperate but relevant note, just how unlucky can a coach be? Coach Hill has to be one of the unluckiest if not the unluckiest coach in DI over the past two seasons. Players getting in trouble, players leaving the team, team not doing well on the ice.... gosh that's rough.

Edit:

And UND being the most penalized team in the WCHA doesn't surprise me.

My expectation is for the Sioux to win big on Friday night, something like 7-1.

They are the better team, playing at home, get an emotional lift having Parise, Murray, and Stafford back. I believe they will be ready to go and will dominate the game. Alaska-Anchorage on the other hand has not played a game in the past month, had to travel and are missing two players. I would not expect their play to be as sharp as it could be and hence the lopsided result.

Now, on Saturday I expect a much different type of game. Anytime you get a lopsided conference win on Friday the game on Saturday is usually much closer, sometimes with a different winner. Alaska will have had a game under their belts so I expect them to play better. The Sioux will have some degree of letdown after winning easily on Friday and the players back from the WJC will probably be fatigued as Blais suggested earlier. I still see a Sioux win, let's go with 3-2.

Or I could be completely off-base.

Diggler or anyone else out there who has a student general admission ticket. I was wondering if we are able to sit in the lower bowl in the two sections as usual or are these $99 dollar packages being sold going to use those certain seats. That is one of the rumors going around. Please reply and let me know all the details that you can. Either way I will be there but it would be nice to get cloe to our lower bowl seats, especially to annoy Chubby in the box.