SiouxSports.com Forum

UND in the second half.

Goon

Will UND take a dive in the second half.  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Will UND take a dive in the second half.

• no, they won't, too much talent.
    • Yes, they will, because everyone is saying they will.
    • They will drop off some, but not even close to last season.
    • Who the heck cares what some clueless fan from MSP thinks.

I think it is funny that everyone seems to think that UND is going to come crashing down to earth in the second half but I don't see it happen. I think UND is way more talented of a team then they were last season. Here is a few reasons, three players Porter, Murray, Stafford, I think arugably the best recruting class in the country at the turn.

Redwing 77 Said, UND: I cannot expect as stellar of a second half as the first, but there will not be a swoon. Goaltending looks more solid than last year and scoring has become more consistent, despite not being as explosive as last season's first half. Definitely a top 3 finish both WCHA and Nationally.

I am going on record to say that this is not going to happen. UND will be a top two team. I beg anyone to tell who is going to be there instead.

From my perspective the only thing that could derail the Sioux is if they lose their edge at just the wrong time like CC last year. Although, I think it is less likely due to superior coaching and depth than CC had last year.

I truly think they will open up a 6-8 point gap on the WCHA field.

The very interesting part will be NCAA placements. From a Gopher fans perspective, the last place I want the Gophers is in Grand Rapids. Do you Sioux fans feel that way, or does the big ice of Colorado Springs look more forboding?

Either way, I'm guessing we will get the Quarter Final matchup we missed out on last year.

The very interesting part will be NCAA placements. From a Gopher fans perspective, the last place I want the Gophers is in Grand Rapids. Do you Sioux fans feel that way, or does the big ice of Colorado Springs look more forboding?

The Sioux will see lots of Olympic ice the second half, so the World Center big ice shouldn't be a problem if they play well prior to that.

At least the Michigan regional isn't in Yost. A WCHA team eventually has to beat Michigan in Michigan, maybe this is the year.

At any rate, there are too many games to play to worry about placement yet. Finishing as a #1 seed would be great.

I like our chances in the second half more than I did last season. We have more stable goal tending overall, and I think JParise is making a serious run for the job. The defensive corps is more solid, a more mature Greene and Smaby really help too, and it also contributes more offense at critical times. Our offense is spread across more than one line, stupid-ass comments from other "fans" notwithstanding. Moreover, I think the team has better chemistry and maturity than it did last year. The younger guys like Prpich, Genoway and Zach have stepped up and contribute even if they don't score points. Murray, Stafford and Porter are playing beyond typical frosh talent in this league too. In addition, the upperclassmen seem to have a better sense of purpose and a goal to reach the Fleet, something which seemed missing last season. I expect to lose some games in the second half, but I also expect the team to rebound and learn from the losses and mistakes. Special teams still worry me, but as long as we score more points than the other guys, who cares? ;):D

Some fans assume that UND's record is only good because we haven't played any games on the road. UND hasn't even really played any patsy yet either until the last weekend. Not to mention that UND man handled DU at their place and they aren't bad. I think that is flawed logic since some of the teams arenas we are going to go aren't exactly world beaters. MTU. MSU-M, UMD. We get DU at home, and C.C. at home as well as UAA and MTU. The tough series on the road are going to be Wisconsin and UofM. We should at least split both of these series.

I don't think we'll continue winning at the current pace, but no way does this team fall off like last year. Though our schedule doesn't help us. I find it odd that other teams fans tell us were not good, because we haven't played on the road. Even INCH has been making cracks at this. It's not our fault that the WCHA has put us in this situation two years in a row. Any team would rather have more home games towards the end of the season instead of the beginning. I doubt you'll ever see the WCHA's precious Gophers have to play a backhalf loaded with away conference games like we have the past two years.

I don't think we'll continue winning at the current pace, but no way does this team fall off like last year.  Though our schedule doesn't help us.  I find it odd that other teams fans tell us were not good, because we haven't played on the road.  Even INCH has been making cracks at this.  It's not our fault that the WCHA has put us in this situation two years in a row.  Any team would rather have more home games towards the end of the season instead of the beginning.  I doubt you'll ever see the WCHA's precious Gophers have to play a backhalf loaded with away conference games like we have the past two years.

You won't see it happen because the WCHA is all about the Gophers and the Badgers. I find it odd that every season the Gophers schedule is alway to their liking and they get to finish with their SCSU series and get to have a well rounded schedule. This is three years in a row that UND has had a sucky schedule.

You can almost bet the league was/is sweating that the Gophers are at the bottom of the league and in jepoardy of not making the WCHA final five. Its all about the Gophers you know. Someone had a stat posted on USCHO a week or two ago that basically stated that UND Schedule is a little lighter the rest of the way.

Someone had a stat posted on USCHO a week or two ago that basically stated that UND Schedule is a little lighter the rest of the way.

I wouldn't doubt that are schedule is considered lighter for the second half, with the Gophers record at .500 and us finally getting to play some WCHA bottom feeders. But going on the road isn't easy and that's why most coaches only expect a split when they are traveling.

IMO the keys are:

1. Goaltending continues to remain consistently solid (not great, but solid)

2. The WJC guys come back using the tourney as a springboard to higher levels of play rather than fatigued and struggling.

3. Defense continues to play solidly.

4. Continued contributions by all lines offensively, including Genoway et al.

5. Continue the smart play, and avoid taking dumb penalties. I think we regressed a bit later in the first half so need to watch that. The PP will take care of itself over the last half if we continue to work hard and play well.

If we get these things we won't see a fall off in the 2nd half.

I think that is flawed logic since some of the teams arenas we are going to go aren't exactly world beaters. MTU. MSU-M, UMD.

You know absolutely nothing about hockey if you would put UMD in the same group as MSU-M and Tech. I scoff at your posting. The Bulldogs are a top 10 Pairwise team, and have played very well against other top 10 teams. You just grouped the 4th place team in the WCHA with the 9th and 10th place teams. Show some respect. I have always respected the caliber of hockey that the Sioux play, and most on this site give the Dogs the same respect. They have never run the Dogs down the way you just did. I am very disappointed.

p.s.: If you haven't seen a Dogs game since '01, then nevermind.

The tough series on the road are going to be Wisconsin and UofM. We should at least split both of these series.

Glad you are overlooking the Dogs. I'm sure the Sioux think the UMD series will be just as tough as the UM series...if not tougher. If they have the same attitude that you do, they will be in for a rude surprise at the DECC!!

I think alot of people forget that last year's "swoon" had alot to do with losing David Hale to his illness. The Sioux lost several close games down the strech because of key defensive lapses in critical situations. I am not suggesting that they would have won them all, but I don't think that the "bleeding" would have been so severe if he had been in the line-up.

I think if we stay healthy--we will remain the team to beat this year.

Glad you are overlooking the Dogs. I'm sure the Sioux think the UMD series will be just as tough as the UM series...if not tougher. If they have the same attitude that you do, they will be in for a rude surprise at the DECC!!

Not over looking the Dogz but maybe an oversite but I don't think UND is fearing the goaltending from UMD like they once did. So far UND has owned the Dogz this season.

You know absolutely nothing about hockey if you would put UMD in the same group as MSU-M and Tech. I scoff at your posting. The Bulldogs are a top 10 Pairwise team, and have played very well against other top 10 teams. You just grouped the 4th place team in the WCHA with the 9th and 10th place teams. Show some respect. I have always respected the caliber of hockey that the Sioux play, and most on this site give the Dogs the same respect. They have never run the Dogs down the way you just did. I am very disappointed.

p.s.: If you haven't seen a Dogs game since '01, then nevermind.

Relax all UND needs it a couple of ties or a sweep at UMD. Looking at the Dogz I really don't think they are a top team in the WCHA, just my HMO. Besides this is a UND site and I could care less about the BLOW Dogz... :angry:

I think that UMD is a very dangerous team, especially because we have already beaten them three times, in some closely played contests. It is tough to keep beating the same team over and over, especially one with the talent of UMD.

Add to this the fact that they have solid goaltending, whipped us in the Final Five last year, and have a coach who learned much at the feet of the Master.

All of this adds up to, in my mind, danger. We would probably do well to drop one, or both, at the DECC just so that we do not forget that UMD is a potential Frozen Four player as are, of course at this time of the year, any of about twenty teams.

I think alot of people forget that last year's "swoon" had alot to do with losing David Hale to his illness. The Sioux lost several close games down the strech because of key defensive lapses in critical situations. I am not suggesting that they would have won them all, but I don't think that the "bleeding" would have been so severe if he had been in the line-up.

I think if we stay healthy--we will remain the team to beat this year.

I don't blame the second half swoon (perhaps I should say collapse instead of swoon... swoon seems to be reserved for the exclusive use by SCSU) by the Sioux last year on the loss of David Hale. Although having him would have helped, the major problem was scoring goals. 4 goals for the weekend at CC, 2 goals in the loss at Tech, 4 goals for the weekend at Denver, 1 goal in one of the losses at Mankato, 1 goal in the loss to UMD at the Final 5, and 2 goals vs Ferris in the NCAA. Sure, many of those losses were tight games and having Hale back there would have helped. But just like the Gophers woes early this year can't be blamed much on the losses in their D-Corps, the Sioux can't place much blame for last season's nose dive on Hale... he was only one player.

But that was then, and I guess we have all tried to diagnose what happened. Let's enjoy this year's team... they're good.

How about them Gophers? They twice tied the powerful Boston Universty team which is 5-5-6 and ranked 23rd according to USCHO's Pairwise. Maybe Vanek could've scored a few goals and they might have won a game, but giving up five goals in two straight games isn't good. The Gophers could only score on specialty teams on Saturday (4 of 5 goals), while BU on the weekend only scored 2 specialty team goals. Giving up 8 even strength goals is not good at all.

I think that UMD is a very dangerous team---Snip---

We would probably do well to drop one, or both, at the DECC just so that we do not forget that UMD is a potential Frozen Four player as are, of course at this time of the year, any of about twenty teams.

I think that is a stretch, I think UMD is a possible Final Five participant and possible NCAA tourney bid but not a Frozen Four team. UMD's goaltending has been suspect as of late, I would put SCSU ahead of them.

Given that BU had 65 penalty minutes on the weekend compared to 20 for the Gophers I am very surprised MN didn't score more PP goals. I understand BU had some "misconduct" issues, but that is an outrageous disparity in penalty minutes.

The Gophers tied on Saturday because BU gave them the game. Period. They were up 4-2 (I watched during the radio broadcast. Fun to do that. Visual-Gophers, Audio- Sioux) and as soon as BU gave up the shorthanded goal I knew that BU would at best tie. Yes, they were even still up 4-3 when I said that. BU looked really really bad. Even the Gophers announcers stated that there were 5 5hole goals in Saturday's contest. 5 hole is the LAST place a goalie should be beat, EVER. Poor goaltending by JJ and SIwiec. 20 goals in two games. REALLY REALLY BAD Goaltending.

Lucia HAS to name Briggs starter. There is no one else who can possibly stop all the shots the Gophers are giving up. I think he gave up 1 goal on Saturday and that's it. He did much better than JJ.

Also, those jerseys they were wearing were hideous. That gold. My god. :angry:

The Gophers tied on Saturday because BU gave them the game.  Period.  They were up 4-2 (I watched during the radio broadcast.  Fun to do that.  Visual-Gophers, Audio- Sioux) and as soon as BU gave up the shorthanded goal I knew that BU would at best tie.  Yes, they were even still up 4-3 when I said that.  BU looked really really bad.

Also, those jerseys they were wearing were hideous.  That gold.  My god.  :angry:

I was at the game on Saturday... sitting just behind the benches. BU may be ranked 23rd in the PWR (or wherever) but they played UM hard. UM outshot BU 40-24 and the momentum shifted back and forth throughout. UM was the more talented team. BU did not give them the game, it was the other way around if anything. That 5 on 3 killed BU as well.

UM has improved a lot from what we all saw at the REA this year as far as conditioning and depth is concerned. But they've got to get a win or two (or five :lol: ) in the WCHA before I'll concede that they're at the same level as UND. Ballard played outstanding in the game, outracing the smaller BU forwards numerous times to loose pucks and scoring a key goal seconds after being the victim of a cheap boarding call.

At times, BU looked "really really bad" but they got their heads in the game at other points and looked really good. There was a stretch of 4 minutes where BU kept the puck in the offensive zone at even strength and even made a couple of line changes while maintaining puck control in the offensive zone. They clear their defensive zone well and have a few guys with a lot of speed who can take a fair amount of punishment.

Despite the ties, UM should have won on Saturday. BU didn't give them the game, it was clear that UM was more talented and clear that BU wasn't as bad as their record indicates. It's going to be one hell of a series on January 23-24, but I don't think UND would have a problem beating the team that tied BU on Saturday.

Incidentally, I like UM's gold jerseys (the ones with the "M" rather than the script "Minnesota." They beat their regular jerseys which are reminiscent of mid-80s aesthetics. I also get a kick out of the degree to which the gold uniforms look like something my dog threw up.

I don't blame the second half swoon (perhaps I should say collapse instead of swoon... swoon seems to be reserved for the exclusive use by SCSU) by the Sioux last year on the loss of David Hale. Although having him would have helped, the major problem was scoring goals. 4 goals for the weekend at CC, 2 goals in the loss at Tech, 4 goals for the weekend at Denver, 1 goal in one of the losses at Mankato, 1 goal in the loss to UMD at the Final 5, and 2 goals vs Ferris in the NCAA. Sure, many of those losses were tight games and having Hale back there would have helped. But just like the Gophers woes early this year can't be blamed much on the losses in their D-Corps, the Sioux can't place much blame for last season's nose dive on Hale... he was only one player.

But that was then, and I guess we have all tried to diagnose what happened. Let's enjoy this year's team... they're good.

I think Hale would have made the difference in some of those games. Saying that he is "only one player" is like saying that Zach Parise or Brandon Bochenski is only one player.... Look at what a different team the gophers are with Ballard in the lineup, or when they got Potulny back from an injury last year....

I agree though--let's enjoy this year!