SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux in Sports Illustrated

01grad

Settle down, it's not the hockey team. :silly: It is a picture of one of our football players, 4 pages in breaking up a pass from the big championship game. It was kind of neat to see and I have never posted on the football portion and wasn't sure if people still are keeping up to date over there since the season is over. This is why I did it here so you all were informed. Thought you would like to know since we are all Sioux fans and love to see our small college make big news.

I got to thinking though, however, how many times have the Sioux been in sports illustrated? I am sure they have had columns about the nickname before. They just had a 50th anniversary edition out recently and they didn't mention how many times our teams were represented in their many issues. :blush:

I was going to try to find my issue that had the special section about the new arena with the many outstanding pictures and information pertaining to the REA. Does anybody know which one that was?

Just some information to pass on and perhaps provide some small talk until Sioux hockey is through with their break.

Geesh :silly: couteaurinkrat, thanks for pointing that out to me since I didn't think of that myself. :blush: It was just a simple explanation as to why I wanted this thread in the hockey section. Some people in this forum are too quick to find fault in and correct others, which is kind of a pet peeve of mine as well as a few

others posters I met at Sensers. (Oh, whoops an extra "s" in other) M-I-N-E-S-O-T-A (Oh, shouldn't there be two N's in Minnesota) WHO CARES! Some people just think they have all of the answers and know everything. Sorry, I just had to get this off of my chest.

Not sure, but Dave Christian may have been somewhere on the SI cover in 1980 after the Olympics. Other than that, there MAY be a picture of Balfour somewhere. Other than that, it was really decided on USCHO that finding college players on the cover of a major sports mag is not a very common thing.

Geesh :love: couteaurinkrat, thanks for pointing that out to me since I didn't think of that myself. :love: It was just a simple explanation as to why I wanted this thread in the hockey section. Some people in this forum are too quick to find fault in and correct others, which is kind of a pet peeve of mine as well as a few

others posters I met at Sensers. (Oh, whoops an extra "s" in other) M-I-N-E-S-O-T-A (Oh, shouldn't there be two N's in Minnesota) WHO CARES! Some people just think they have all of the answers and know everything. Sorry, I just had to get this off of my chest.

wow, relax.

:silly::blush:

Geesh :silly: couteaurinkrat, thanks for pointing that out to me since I didn't think of that myself. :blush: It was just a simple explanation as to why I wanted this thread in the hockey section. Some people in this forum are too quick to find fault in and correct others, which is kind of a pet peeve of mine as well as a few

I agree some need to chill and cut people some slack unless they are SCCC or Gopher Fans.

I am sorry if I made you upset couteau, but it was just starting to get to me. I love reading and checking this site to keep up to date with Sioux info. especially PCM's pictures and writings. :silly: Since I usually just read and don't write, I must not be familiar with the way people reply and question each other.

I did, however, just start checking the USCHO message board and will probably never check it again. The majority of the stuff they talk about is just plain nonsense. I couldn't believe the stupid poll of which WCHA arena is the best and ours isn't even listed. These people obviously have too much time on their hands. I am sorry if I offend any of you Sioux fans that post on that board. The people who post on USCHO all know that our team is the best and they just try to get on our nerves. I do enjoy hearing from the people that post on this board though from other teams such as UMDDOGZ, WPoS, greyeagle etc.. At least they have class and just like to talk hockey.

Thank you very much to the people who have put this forum together, you do a great job running it!!!

North Dakota is also mentioned in this weeks SI colume by Steve Ruskin. Someting about his dad being in Grand Forks watching Sioux hockey and asking why everyone was wearing Notre Dame sweatshirts.

Also, I remember that Sports Illustrated had an article on the Sioux football team back in the 70's. Featured a wide receiver with the last name Gustofson (can't remember his first name) who had the nickname "Magic".

Also, I remember that Sports Illustrated had an article on the Sioux football team back in the 70's.  Featured a wide receiver with the last name Gustofson (can't remember his first name) who had the nickname "Magic".

Ron Gustafson. The QB that threw to him, Jay Gustafson.

I couldn't believe the stupid poll of which WCHA arena is the best and ours isn't even listed. These people obviously have too much time on their hands.

If it is the poll I am thinking of the first post gives the title of best arena to REA by default. So actually the poll was started to decide which arena is the "also ran" :silly:

I don't go there much anymore except to see the headlines and schedule/results for much the same reasons you mentioned. I don't have enough free time to weed through all the junk.

I do enjoy hearing from the people that post on this board though from other teams such as UMDDOGZ, WPoS, greyeagle etc.. At least they have class and just like to talk hockey.

Thank you very much to the people who have put this forum together, you do a great job running it!!!

:silly: Gee, thanks!!

I was going to try to find my issue that had the special section about the new arena with the many outstanding pictures and information pertaining to the REA. Does anybody know which one that was?

Yeah, it's the issue with Barry Bonds on the cover, where they are talking about how many home runs he hit that baseball season. I think it's also the NHL preview issue... hope this helps you to find the article.

Yeah, it's the issue with Barry Bonds on the cover, where they are talking about how many home runs he hit that baseball season. I think it's also the NHL preview issue... hope this helps you to find the article.

Not the latest Bonds cover, but the only one with an NHL preview:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_online.../2001/1008.html