SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

We already have close to 40 ND and MN kids on the roster. I think a little much is being made of our "lack of local recruiting". Like or not, we will need kids from the Twin Cities, and Illinois has treated us very well lately with the likes of Cheatum, Bartels, Reyes, Kuska, Golliday, and Sharp. I think it would be great to win the recruiting battles in ND, but those 3 or 4 kids aren't going to be enough to build a successful recruiting class off of. Likewise, winning the northern half of Minnesota by dominating the recruiting scene in that hot bed of football talent otherwise known as Beltrami county isn't going to be enough. I don't think our teams have suffered from a lack of talent; the issues have been drive, desire, leadership. Kids like MdGill and Kuska have it and can be tremendous assets to the program. If we pass on those types of kids for someone more "local", we won't see the success everyone here is dreaming about.

So you don't believe that there are enough athletes between the 3 states to produce wins? The 3 states combine for over 7 million people and the state of Minnesota alone currently has 35 kids with offers to D-I schools and that number will probably climb. I am just guessing, but ND & SD should have at least 10 kids, so that leaves roughly 50 D-I recruits. I don't see any reason why we can't pull at least 10 each year which would give us 50 on the roster. If you would like, I can list off the recruits in Minnesota that we have not offered but have been offered by the 3 schools to our south.

Are we the only one recruiting these kids? If so great. Also, we cannot offer ever single player in the state that has another FCS offer.

Also, ND and SD do not have 10 impact players a year (that UND can get). They might have 10 total between them and then the battle begins with UND, NDSU, SDSU, and USD.

Are we the only one recruiting these kids? If so great. Also, we cannot offer ever single player in the state that has another FCS offer.

Oh really?! Of course, but we can't afford to miss out on kids in the backyard. Go look at the NDSU roster and tell me that you can't win with ND,SD and MN kids. Muss and his staff spent more time in AZ and Ill than they did in MN. All I am trying to say is that I hope that Bubba is willing to battle for the regional kids.

Terrible decision on our part not to offer.

What? Why? The past and present staffs both didn't offer him as well as the other hundred-some FCS schools in the country. So who's wrong on this one? Would have been a great kid to have walk-on though. Maybe that still could be an option if UND offers it to him?

Seriously? What a steal for coach Sauter. Terrible decision on our part not to offer. He will probably be a 4 year starter in that offense.

I have to agree with you on this one, especially since he seems to fit what Rudolph likes to do on offense. I watched him play a few times over the last couple of seasons and not only are we missing out on this one, but coach Sauter will set records in D-II with Wilkie. IMO, there are a couple of other MN kids that we haven't offered that should be on the roster next season.

I have to agree with you on this one, especially since he seems to fit what Rudolph likes to do on offense. I watched him play a few times over the last couple of seasons and not only are we missing out on this one, but coach Sauter will set records in D-II with Wilkie. IMO, there are a couple of other MN kids that we haven't offered that should be on the roster next season.

Yikes, kid hasn't even stepped foot on campus and he is already going to set records in D-II? Haven't seen much of him other than a few highlights, but I think the hyperbole is running a little high.

When an FCS player doesn't get the FBS offers he's looking for we call him a "steal".

When a d2 player doesn't get the offers he's looking for it is "validation".

Do I need to start naming NCC players that would have been impact players on a national FCS level?

When an FCS player doesn't get the FBS offers he's looking for we call him a "steal".

Do I need to start naming NCC players that would have been impact players on a national FCS level?

Maybe I am wrong about Wilkie, but a 6'5 QB that led the state of MN in passing as a Jr and Sr, a coaches kid and the son of a alumni......what's not to like?

No other FCS schools offered him. They didn't even offer him a PWO. Duluth didn't offer him. Mankato didn't either. But somehow, UND was supposed to offer him a scholarship based on what?

He is a good QB, highlights show that. But he cannot run and would not be able to play another position. That is a big part of recruiting a QB who you are not sure about.

No other FCS schools offered him. They didn't even offer him a PWO. Duluth didn't offer him. Mankato didn't either. But somehow, UND was supposed to offer him a scholarship based on what?

He is a good QB, highlights show that. But he cannot run and would not be able to play another position. That is a big part of recruiting a QB who you are not sure about.

I'm not making the argument he should have been offered. I am saying I'm not dismissing his ability to play by virtue of his other offers, or lack thereof.

What FCS offers did Todd Kovash have? Or Kory Wahl? Or Phillip Moore, Shannon Burnell, or Jed Perkerewicz?

I would take every single one of them on this team. Today.

• Upvote 1

I'm not making the argument he should have been offered. I am saying I'm not dismissing his ability to play by virtue of his other offers, or lack thereof.

What FCS offers did Todd Kovash have? Or Kory Wahl? Or Phillip Moore, Shannon Burnell, or Jed Perkerewicz?

I would take every single one of them on this team. Today.

Couldn't agree more. If our staff isn't smart enough to evaluate talent on their own without looking at which other schools have offered, we are in serious trouble. Kovash and Wahl were excellent QB's that didn't get heavily recruitted but had great careers at UND. We need to be able to find kids that buy in and have passion for the program and fit the scheme. I am not trying to make a case for anyone, just thought a kid that has all of the measureables would be a good fit. By the way Otto, Wahl and Kovash were not great runners, but they did hand the ball off to guys that were and were able throw the ball to guys who could make plays. If we are concerned that a QB we bring in won't be able to move to another position, then we aren't looking at a true QB.

Couldn't agree more. If our staff isn't smart enough to evaluate talent on their own without looking at which other schools have offered, we are in serious trouble. Kovash and Wahl were excellent QB's that didn't get heavily recruitted but had great careers at UND. We need to be able to find kids that buy in and have passion for the program and fit the scheme. I am not trying to make a case for anyone, just thought a kid that has all of the measureables would be a good fit. By the way Otto, Wahl and Kovash were not great runners, but they did hand the ball off to guys that were and were able throw the ball to guys who could make plays. If we are concerned that a QB we bring in won't be able to move to another position, then we aren't looking at a true QB.

I"m also not willing to shape an entire recruiting philosophy regarding the QB position, based on the assumption that the O-line will continue being unable to protect and therefore we must recruit "athlete" at the QB position rather than simply "QB".
  • Upvote 1

I"m also not willing to shape an entire recruiting philosophy regarding the QB position, based on the assumption that the O-line will continue being unable to protect and therefore we must recruit "athlete" at the QB position rather than simply "QB".

What if, by chance, they happen to be installing an offense that incorporates the QB as part of the running game? Such as operating out of the pistol 25-50% of the game and running QB power or read option at times, like many teams do these days.

What if, by chance, they happen to be installing an offense that incorporates the QB as part of the running game? Such as operating out of the pistol 25-50% of the game and running QB power or read option at times, like many teams do these days.

Then you better bring in 2-3 QB's and be prepare for injuries.

I love the "what if" game. What if they're running wishbone? Run N Shoot?

We will find out soon enough.

edit: if the SIU QB rushing stats are any indication, I would say probably no too relying on the QB to run much. Unless of course Bubba wants to go in an entirely different direction. How did he use his QBs at Duluth? I don't recall.

I love the "what if" game. What if they're running wishbone? Run N Shoot?

We will find out soon enough.

That's right we will. And their recruiting of the QB position is kind of tipping their hand.

I still don't understand why you two continue to preach about how they should have recruited Wilkie when nobody else has. The UND staff is apparently completely missing the boat on the kid - so why aren't you ripping on NDSU, SDSU, UNI, USD, UMD, MSU, and SCSU then as well? They must be blind to his talents also.

That's right we will. And their recruiting of the QB position is kind of tipping their hand.

I still don't understand why you two continue to preach about how they should have recruited Wilkie when nobody else has. The UND staff is apparently completely missing the boat on the kid - so why aren't you ripping on NDSU, SDSU, UNI, USD, UMD, MSU, and SCSU then as well? They must be blind to his talents also.

You've got me confused with someone else. You won't find a post from me preaching about Wilkie. My post was about recruiting philosphy in general, not Wilkie specifically, and that opinion was first espoused today.

However, if Wilkie is successful at SW (and we have no idea at this point), I'll reiterate it would neither be the first time nor the last that multiple FCS programs "missed the boat" on a d2 player (see the names I referenced earlier).

You've got me confused with someone else. You won't find a post from me preaching about Wilkie. My post was about recruiting philosphy in general, not Wilkie, and that opinion was first espoused today.

If by philosophy you mean "not offering because nobody else did"? My answer is that is what WE think on the Siouxsports. How does anybody really know why the staff did not offer him. If they liked him they would have offered at least PWO, right? Other offers or lack thereof don't necessarily mean a kid cannot get a PWO from a school. They certainly affect whether UND offers money. Why overpay when you don't have to?

For them not to offer him a PWO is telling me they do not have him high enough on their board and are thinking they are going to get 1-2 of their Top 3 QB's. Could be wrong but that is what I read from it.

For them not to offer him a PWO is telling me they do not have him high enough on their board and are thinking they are going to get 1-2 of their Top 3 QB's. Could be wrong but that is what I read from it.

Can anyone confirm that he did or didn't receive anything from UND? Is it possible they offered him a PWO and he decided to take what SWMU offered instead?

If by philosophy you mean "not offering because nobody else did"? My answer is that is what WE think on the Siouxsports. How does anybody really know why the staff did not offer him. If they liked him they would have offered at least PWO, right? Other offers or lack thereof don't necessarily mean a kid cannot get a PWO from a school. They certainly affect whether UND offers money. Why overpay when you don't have to?

I don't know what the staff thought of him. Again, I'm not even suggesting they're making a mistake here. Your analysis of the staff's perspective is probably accurate. I'm just saying it didn't bother me at all that no other programs offered him. I've seen that happen too many times before.

However, if Wilkie is successful at SW (and we have no idea at this point), I'll reiterate it would neither be the first time nor the last that multiple FCS programs "missed the boat" on a d2 player (see the names I referenced earlier).

I don't disagree with your point. I do think that the regional landscape for D2 vs FCS recruiting is much, much different today than a decade ago. That's obvious, isn't it? When UND, NDSU, SDSU, and USD were all D2 programs and UNI was the nearest FCS/D1AA program, the meaning of a kid being "overlooked" by FCS/D1AA was much different than it is today.