SiouxSports.com Forum

UMD Announcement

Brent_Bobyck

I would love to get people's thoughts on UMD announcing the coaching finalists just days before the championship game in Florence.

I think that their decision to announce this last week instead of this coming week is Busch League. Did they want to distract UND and their title hopes? I don't think in any way this had any effect on Saturday's outcome, but it certainly was in the back of their minds.

Simply Busch League UMD. Our hockey team took it out on them. :lol:

I was also disappointed in the timing. I thought it could have waited until Monday without any ill effects on UMD's part. This was their a.d.'s explanation in Saturday's Duluth paper:

Nielson said UMD did not want to disrupt the Fighting Sioux before the title game, but had to get interviews underway early next week.

"It's a tough situation because they have candidates involved who are still playing and we're on a tight time frame ourselves, and people here are getting anxious," Nielson said. "There wasn't any intention to do any harm."

If Mussman were to get the job, I imagine UND would probably have to go outside the program for a new offensive coordinator. If Schweigert gets the job, I would expect either Tom Dosch or Tim Tibesar to get promoted.

I wouldnt hold my breath on Tom Dosch moving up if Schwaggert got the job. I think by many he is considered the worst of the coaching staff followed closely by some Grad Assistants. I have heard of many players that are not fond of him. Tibbessar however I have only heard the greatest things about. I believe looking at the Inside Linebackers that we have had speaks to his coaching, and look at his career. He is a players coach. I heard Schwaggert was eyeing the Jamestown job. If mussmab leaves for Duluth, and Schwaggert leaves to Jamestown, things could be very different in Grand Forks

I wouldnt hold my breath on Tom Dosch moving up if Schwaggert got the job. I think by many he is considered the worst of the coaching staff followed closely by some Grad Assistants. I have heard of many players that are not fond of him. Tibbessar however I have only heard the greatest things about. I believe looking at the Inside Linebackers that we have had speaks to his coaching, and look at his career. He is a players coach. I heard Schwaggert was eyeing the Jamestown job. If mussmab leaves for Duluth, and Schwaggert leaves to Jamestown, things could be very different in Grand Forks

I can't say anything good or bad about Dosch because I don't know him and I've never heard anything about his coaching ability one way or the other. Just by virtue of the fact that he's been on the staff for so many years would probably merit some consideration for the coordinator job, even if ultimately he didn't get it.

I would agree that Tibesar would be a great choice to replace Schweigert if he were to leave. Tibesar is probably destined to be a head coach before too long. According to his bio on fighingsioux.com, he graduated with a 4.0 g.p.a. in business economics, so he's obviously a very smart guy. He was also a great player and if the players like him, that's all the better. If he's not the defensive coordinator at UND within the next year or so, I imagine he'll take a job elsewhere because he'll probably be a hot commodity.

UND fans arent ungrateful...football team had a great year...but for anyone who watched the Sioux offense all year....I know myself.....i could call out the play before the ball was snapped just by seeing the formation or motion....if the playbook was extensive...it was extensively used on Saturdays :lol:

From an outsider's perspective, you guys are definitely right. When you think of Sioux football you always think of their great defenses over the last 10 years, and I'm assuming Bubba has been there most of that time. I actually thought Mussman did a real nice job with the O this year, but in years past I thought his playcalling has been suspect. He is pretty young, so maybe he's just getting better. I'm too lazy to look right now, but if I'm not mistaken Mussman is an Iowa State alum. I'm surprised with the assistant coaching carousel going on there his name hasn't been brought up, but who know, maybe it will.

I have no idea why anyone would want to get rid of Mussman.

Haven't they led the conference in scoring/total offense/and QB efficiency in 3 out of the last 4 years? Plus, UND is a defensive/field position team and that reflects how you game plan and call a game. They are always in a position to win games---even last year. So in the last 3 years they have been in a positition to win every single game they have played in, plus, on numerous occasions, have displayed unbelievable 2 minute offense to pull these games out. How many teams in the country would like to have been in every single game for the last 3 years.

As for the "run over left guard" and "bubble screen" plays they are both legitimate offensive plays in their intent and design. The run over left guard is a zone running play that takes advantage of double teams on the line of scrimmage and overflowing LB's. Just like any football play, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. But if it is your base play you have to find a way to run it against everyone!!! You have to keep hammering your best play.

As for the "bubble screen" it is not intended to go for 25 yards every time...no play can do that. It is a pass but essentially a running play that hopefully averages over 5 yards per attempt. The next time UND runs theis for 4 or 5 yards you should be thrilled!!! It is a running play! It takes advantage of putting too many defenders in the box letting the offense outflank you to the perimeter. Once the defense removes one of these defenders from the box you can run your "over left guard" play with one less tackler.

Just my two cents worth. Mussman is a very, very, very good Offensive Coordinator and Offensive Line Coach who follows 1) UND philosophy 2)rarely turns the ball over 3)always sets up the team for a chance to win 4)and takes advantage of the field position that the defense provides. Plus, he has produced some All-Americans and numerous All-Conference players and Academic All-Conference players. How is this bad?

I think jonnyboy makes some good points, but the thing is that Mussman himself obviously aspires to be a head coach. It's not as though he's being forced out--he evidently wants a new challenge. He was also a finalist at MSU-Mankato last year. While it may be somewhat selfish of us as fans to hope that it is Mussman instead of Schweigert who leaves (at least as it pertains to the UMD job), it makes a certain amount of sense since Schweigert has probably played a larger role in the success of UND football, and for a longer time, than has Mussman. In any event, it's a moot point since our views and wishes are not going to affect the UMD hiring process anyway.

On the other hand, I certainly don't wish any bad luck to Bubba in terms of his interview(s) if he also aspires to be a head coach. He's one of the top dII assistants in the country, and if he wants a head coaching job, he has earned it. And with Tibesar waiting in the wings, at least there's an heir apparent to the defensive coordinator job, just as it was Schweigert who took over for Lennon when he left for UMary.

If there is some turnover on the defensive coaching staff, there are some ex-UND defensive players coaching high school ball in the area who may be candidates for position coaches if Bubba and/or Dosch were to leave and Tibesar moved up to the coordinator job. Eric Schmidt has done an excellent job at Crookston High School, Alex Starcevic has done a nice job at Larimore, and Mike Mannausau was a recent grad assistant at UND who just finished his first year as the head coach at GF Red River. With that said, I'd still selfishly like to see Bubba stay!

I felt like NDSU knew the play call for most of the game. That tells me that conservative has become predictable.

I was waiting all season for

- play-action on the "over the left guard" play, and

- the pump and go (or pump and post to the single receiver away from the three-wides) on the bubble screen.

As much as running those base plays moves the defense laterally, stretches them side to side, to the positions you want them in you also need to stretch them down the field.

the only gripe i have with Mussman's play calling is if you show the formation to the bubble screen and always throw the bubble screen...what is the defense gonna jump...i am saying mix it up out of the same sets, throw it deep, even if it's incomplete or the QB throws it away...at least then the safety and the corner wont be jumping the play....bubble screen is a great play if used correctly.....just not the same way every single time...varation is a huge key.....and also scouting themselves...i wonder how many times our offense scouted its own tendencies....zone blocking is great...if you can get it done..big if....

Just to clear something up, I think people are confused about the term 'bubble screen'. The bubble screen is where a slot receiver runs a pattern toward the sideline with the outside receiver(s) blocking the corner. The throw is made with the receiver moving away from the QB. Like someone else stated earlier, the intent of the bubble screen is to force the defense to move a player out of the box and cover the slot receiver. Many college and pro teams will automatically check off to the bubble screen if a receiver is uncovered. The bubble used to be a staple of the UND offense, but it was used very rarely this year.

The play UND ran alot this year is referred to as the jailbreak or tunnel screen. The tunnel screen is run alot differently than the bubble and has a different philosophy behind it. With the tunnel, the outside receiver catches the pass coming back towards the QB. The slot blocks the corner and linemen release downfield to block LBs and safeties. The main reason you run the tunnel screen is to keep the defense from blitzing. If a team blitzes a couple of LBs and you have the tunnel screen called, you've got the defense severely outnumbered.

The plays might be similar, but if you're trying to get an understanding of the philosophy behind running them, they're totally different.

This is what I should have said in my previous post: The main reason an offensive coordinator likes the tunnel screen is because it makes it very risky for the defense to run a zone blitz. You're forcing the defense to play a base defense and rush four, or if they're going to blitz, play all out man or man-free coverage. This makes the QB's read much easier because it forces the defense to tip their hand by matching up if they're going to blitz.

RD 17 you are my new hero!!! You definately know what you are talking about in reference to bubble screen and tunnel screen regarding blocking, design, and intent! Fun to read replies that have solid football explanations.

As for the person who mentioned that they could call the play based on the formation---this is highly improbable. You can't just predict that it's going to be a running play or a passing play. If you truly know what play is coming you would be able to predict the blocking scheme also. The "run over left guard" could actually be a number of running plays (i.e. power, isoloation, zone, trap, or counter). Each of these running plays have different philosophies on how to create a running lane. Some plays are better versus certain types of defenses than others. So maybe if UND seems to be running the same play it is for a perfectly logical reason---it fits versus the type of defense they see, takes advantage of a mismatch on the line, or perhaps it is simply the RB's or O-Line's favorite running play. Plus, they could run the same play (zone) but "tweak" their blocking rules based on a stunt/blitz that has given them problems.

Sorry, little venting there. I just don't see any reason to second guess someone who has lead an offense to the highest rating in the conference for 2 out of the last three years and usually has the QB with the highest rating in the conference. If you are leading the league in scoring and have the highest QB rating you can't really argue.

The tunnel screen can work even with a 1 WR, 2 RB, and 2 TE set.

If you are constantly getting blitzed by the OLB and LB to the WR side it is a great call! The TE to the WR side will go block the free safety, the Guard to the same side will block the corner and the Center will take the next linebacker to the inside.

Sometimes it's best to run the screen out of a typical "running formation" due to the fact that the defense is stunting/blitzing to stop your best running play. The you throw in some shifting and motion and you got some good stuff!!!

The odds have increased that Mussman or Schweigert will be the new UMD coach:

Minnesota Duluth's list of football coaching finalists was pared from four to three Thursday when Wisconsin-Stout's Ed Meierkort was named head coach at South Dakota.

Meierkort interviewed for the UMD job Monday after interviewing late last week at South Dakota in Vermillion, S.D.

UMD completed coaching interviews Thursday. Ripon coach Ron Ernst and North Dakota assistants Chris Mussman and Kyle Schweigert are the remaining candidates.