SiouxSports.com Forum

UMD Announcement

Brent_Bobyck

I understand that UMD will likely make an announcement regarding their new coach tomorrow - if it didn't happen this evening. Bubba and Mussman supposedly both had very good interviews. It is between them and one coach from a WS school. The other candidate, Meierkort, got the South Dakota job.

Dosch appears to be in the running for the Jamestown job. That announcement is also likely to be made quite soon.

A tidbit found on UMD's site:

Ernst has compiled an 85-40 overall record at Ripon College since taking over the head coaching responsibilities in 1991 (when he succeeded current UMD Director of Intercollegiate Athletics and former Bulldog head coach Bob Nielson.) During that time his Red Hawks captured three Midwest Conference North Division titles (1995-97) and two Midwest Conference championships (1996 and 2001). He previously served as a defensive line coach at the University of Northern Colorado from 1988-90.

Apparently the third man in this now three-horse race has head coaching experience, NCC experience, and some familiarity with UMD's AD.

Bubba Schweigert just was announced as UMD's new coach.

I know that Coach Lennon was preparing for this and has some plans in mind.  I would guess that he will try to fill the spot quickly for recruiting purposes - especially if we also lose Dosch.

Bubba has earned this opportunity and although I'm sure we're all going to miss him, I'm also sure none of us can blame him for wanting the chance to be a head coach. Best of luck, Coach Schweigert, except for when you play UND!

I really hope Tim Tibesar is promoted, and I wouldn't mind seeing somebody like Eric Schmidt or some other ex-UND linebacker take over Tibesar's current job.

We all should congradulate Bubba on his moving up, and thank him for what he brought to UND. He was a great representative of UND, a true class act, and a great and successful coach. I am also confident in UND's ability to fill his position, and would guess it will be Tibesar. Bubba's moving on makes me fear UMD a lot more now, as we know their defense will be much improved based on Bubba alone. It will be fun to see him out of the box and on the opposite sideline at the alerus for years to come. Good Luck Bubba!! :)

That's as big, if not bigger blow than losing Lennon!  WHY couldn't it have been Mussman?!?

I guess that's in the eye of the beholder, but the way I look at it, it's an inevitability when it comes to assistant coaches in a successful program. At any level of football, a successful program is going to lose assistant coaches on occasion because most of them aspire to eventually be head coaches. It's a small miracle that it took this long for Bubba to get a good head coaching job.

As we all know, Lennon was a very successful defensive coordinator, left to be a head coach at Mary, and Schweigert was promoted and proved to be outstanding in his own right. I am confident that if Tibesar is given the same opportunity that Bubba got back in '97, he'll prove to be just as good.

Trying to look at this situation with the glass half full here...

There is no doubt losing Bubba will hurt. But, with potential replacements like Tibesar, UND can maintain its defensive system and not lose much continuity, especially with all of the experienced players that are returning. The other plus that I see is that Dale Lennon was the original architect of this defense. He knows how he wants the defense run and who is capable of coordinating it.

On the other hand, if Mussman were to leave, UND probably has to go outside of the program for a new OC. UND also needs to rebuild the offensive line next year, and Mussman does an excellent job of coaching them. With all of the new faces that will have to contribute next year, it will be a big plus to have the same offensive system in place.

hey, i know its tough losing parts of your coaching staff, but it what happens in college football. hell, if i had a dollar for every time one of the MAC schools have tried to take our Coach Kelly to be their new savior, well, i sure would have a lot less i would have to pay back in student loans. right now the with the realinement going on in D-1A, there is a lot of flux, exspecially with the MAC. and there are some new rules out, that to be D-1A you have to average a certain number of attendence to be eligable. so, there are going to be a few teams droping down to D-1AA, and most of those schools have been trying to get ahold of Kelly. some of them just aren't really the top draw in town anyway. Who would want to go to a Eastern Michigan game when there's a Michigan game going on? we all know at GVSU that Kelly will one day leave, but hopefully it will be for really good job. hope your bubba has some success.

Do you think bubba will take any of his assistants from UND.. according the herald article it seems like the UMD assistants feel like they will be staying. NDSU has scheduled a game with UMD next year.. however i think there is an "out" clause if the new UMD coach didn't want to play

Edited by somebison

Do you think Mussman will take any of his assistants from UND.. according the herald article it seems like the UMD assistants feel like they will be staying.  NDSU has scheduled a game with UMD next year.. however i think there is an "out" clause if the new UMD coach didn't want to play

I assume you meant Schweigert--not Mussman. My understanding is that the UMD assistants will keep their jobs assuming they want to stay. It's probably not much of a surprise considering that Neilson hired them in the first place and wouldn't want to leave them out in the cold. But from Schweigert's perspective, it must be kind of weird not being able to assemble his own staff. I am glad personally since there's not much of a chance that any other UND assistants will be able to follow him to Duluth like Underwood did when Hedberg took the St. Cloud job.

With regard to the prospective game between NDSU and UMD, it surprises me that UMD agreed to that game unless they really need the money. They typically haven't played the strongest of non-conference schedules anyway, and with the way the strength of schedule index penalizes games against I-AA's, it would seem a strange time for them to do an about-face. I know UND has very much wanted to schedule them in the past and even offered to travel to Duluth but UMD refused--probably because they preferred to take their chances against the weaker NCC teams like Mankato and USD.

somebison - Obviously, you meant Schweigert... It appears that part of the deal was that all assistants would have their jobs for at least the first year. Plus, I don't think that any of our assistants would simply move for the same job over there. That actually would be a step in the wrong direction. I could see him hiring some former Sioux players and UND grad assistants down the line.

I am sure that Bubba would not have control of the schedule enough to pull out of the Bison game next year. Plus, I assume that it is in Fargo and UMD will get a guarantee - they need the $.

somebison - Obviously, you meant Schweigert...  It appears that part of the deal was that all assistants would have their jobs for at least the first year.  Plus, I don't think that any of our assistants would simply move for the same job over there.  That actually would be a step in the wrong direction.  I could see him hiring some former Sioux players and UND grad assistants down the line.

I am sure that Bubba would not have control of the schedule enough to pull out of the Bison game next year.  Plus, I assume that it is in Fargo and UMD will get a guarantee - they need the $.

i meant bubba i edited it

somebison - Obviously, you meant Schweigert... It appears that part of the deal was that all assistants would have their jobs for at least the first year. Plus, I don't think that any of our assistants would simply move for the same job over there. That actually would be a step in the wrong direction. I could see him hiring some former Sioux players and UND grad assistants down the line.

I am sure that Bubba would not have control of the schedule enough to pull out of the Bison game next year. Plus, I assume that it is in Fargo and UMD will get a guarantee - they need the $.

On the WDAY news last week they announced it as a home game in fargo ($$$ for UMD maybe to help them boost their scholarships) however they did say the deal was tentative and if the new coach did not want to play the game they wouldn't. I would think that would be somewhat awkward for a new coach not to be bring his own assistants, however UMD has done well in the NSIC the last few years so they are probably decent coaches. I realize a linebacker coach at UND wouldn't take the same job at UMD. I was thinking more along the lines of a UND GA becoming a UMD linebacker's coach or a UND linebacker's coach becoming a D. Coordinator at UMD (not targeting tibesar just an example). It think this will be a good job for Bubba .. once UMD up's their scholarships they should be competitive year in year out in the NCC.

It will be interesting to see what Bubba decides to do with UMD's defense. UMD runs a 4-3 and they've had some pretty solid defensive linemen the past few years. I would suspect that since the current defensive coordinator is staying on, they'll probably stick to a 4-3 next year, but maybe Bubba will want them to switch to his system in the future.