SiouxSports.com Forum

Printable 2012 Big Sky Schedules

bojeta

Interesting to see the number of non-D1 counters on the schedule for the Big Sky as a whole. Everyone around here seems to assume the non-D1 games will be a thing of the past but it certainly looks like our peers in the Big Sky are still having trouble filling out a full schedule. Hopefully we don't have to schedule those games in the future but its just an observation.

Interesting to see the number of non-D1 counters on the schedule for the Big Sky as a whole. Everyone around here seems to assume the non-D1 games will be a thing of the past but it certainly looks like our peers in the Big Sky are still having trouble filling out a full schedule. Hopefully we don't have to schedule those games in the future but its just an observation.

5 out of 13 play an all DI schedule. Thats not even half. Now I don't feel so bad we have SD Mines on the schedule (its better than 3 non DI teams last year).

The main reason so many Big Sky teams have non-DI teams on their schedule is that there just aren't many FCS programs in the west. There is only one FCS conference west of the plains states and that's the Big Sky. It costs lots of money to fly schools from the eastern half of the US to the western half...epsecially considering that only two teams (Montana and Montana St.) average more than 7500 for a home game.

I would guess you will start seeing a lot more of Big Sky teams fill the non-conference games similar to how UND and Portland State are doing this year. Nice option to have.

Also a good way to create interesting new rivalries at a faster pace.

• 1 month later...

So, I printed off the schedules today (and thanks bojeta for posting them here, that was really helpful) and ran through every game that every team will play and made my picks for each game of every team for the entire season. With my vastly superior knowledge of the sport of football, here is what I came up with as to how the season will unfold.

I cordially invite any and all fans of Big Sky Conference schools to rip apart this post, and fully expect numerous Bison fans to do the same..............because we all know that North Dakota is always on their mind. ;)

DISCLAIMER: When I made my predictions, by default I picked a loss for any Big Sky team playing an FBS team. Also, as a perpetual homer, I picked the Big Sky team to win every non-conference FCS game on their schedule.

Cal Poly

8-3 Overall

7-1 Big Sky

Conference loss to North Dakota

Montana St.

10-1 Overall

7-1 Big Sky

Conference loss to Portland St.

Eastern Washington

6-5 Overall

6-2 Big Sky

Conference losses to Montana, and Montana St.

North Dakota

8-3 Overall

6-2 Big Sky

Conference losses to Eastern Washington, and Montana St.

Portland St.

7-4 Overall

6-2 Big Sky

Conference losses to Northern Arizona, and Cal Poly

Montana

8-3 Overall

5-3 Big Sky

Conference losses to North Dakota, Weber St., and Montana St.

Northern Arizona

6-5 Overall

5-3 Big Sky

Conference losses to Montana, North Dakota, and Cal Poly

Weber St.

4-7 Overall

3-5 Big Sky

Conference losses to Eastern Washington, Cal Poly, Sac St., Southern Utah, and Idaho St.

UC Davis

4-7 Overall

2-6 Big Sky

Conference losses to Cal Poly, Weber St., Montana St., Northern Arizona, Portland St., and Eastern Washington

Southern Utah

3-8 Overall

2-6 Big Sky

Conference losses to Portland St., Montana St., Montana, Eastern Washington, North Dakota, and Northern Arizona

Sacramento St.

3-8 Overall

2-6 Big Sky

Conference losses to North Dakota, Southern Utah, Eastern Washington, Cal Poly, Montana St., and UC Davis

Idaho St.

2-9 Overall

1-7 Big Sky

One conference WIN against Weber St. in the rival game

Northern Colorado

2-9 Overall

1-7 Big Sky

One conference WIN at home against Idaho St.