SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Time

geaux_sioux

56 members have voted

1. 1. Where will UND finish in the Big Sky?

• 1st, champs and hosting a home playoff game
    • 2nd, maybe hosting maybe not in the playoffs
    • 3rd, in the playoffs
    • 4th, maybe back in to the playoffs
    • 5th, not in the playoffs (probabaly)
    • 6th right where the BleachReport thinks we belong
    • bottom 6, we aren't who we thought we were

If Hansen is a star and we beat Sand Diego St and Portland the place will be packed

I think the place will be packed for Portland State and not only for the Potato Bowl but what's on the line...our DI win count we need 7 or 8 whatever gets us in the playoffs, and it starts with PSU.

That sounds like an awesome trip! I'd love to do that. Depending on how the fall work schedule pans out, my family and I planning to load up and head to either the Montana St. or Northern Colorado game for a road trip.

As far as attendance goes, I predict a modest jump for this season. If we have a successful season, i could see 2013 being a big attendance year. Grand Forks loves a winner.

Hasn't been a ton of marketing for football tix as of yet. I've seen ads occasionally on WDAZ TV, WDAY radio, and about once a month in the Forum newspaper.

Grand Forks does indeed love a winner. I was at the Northern Colorado game last season and there was a good amount of UND fans. Many who traveled from Nodak but also a large number of alums like me who live down here (also dragged some non-alums with who weren't familiar with FCS (CU and CSU fans); they left the game impressed with the talent level because they thought it was D2)

Especially going forward UND will get a good crowd at places like UNC because of the large amount of Alums in the Denver metro area. Montanas should draw well too. I have said it before but the Big Sky was the best conference possible for us and I am STOKED for this season!

I think the place will be packed for Portland State and not only for the Potato Bowl but what's on the line...our DI win count we need 7 or 8 whatever gets us in the playoffs, and it starts with PSU.

This thread has been fun to follow, but what most of you are failing to grasp is that, with the exception of maybe two teams, any Big Sky program can, & will, bite you in the ass. Be prepared for the Viks or you may find yourself getting "pistol whipped"!

This thread has been fun to follow, but what most of you are failing to grasp is that, with the exception of maybe two teams, any Big Sky program can, & will, bite you in the ass. Be prepared for the Viks or you may find yourself getting "pistol whipped"!

I don't think UND or its fans are taking any BSC team for granite. Any team can beat anyone, and UND is being one who most BSC fans of teams not knowing much about us (EWU, PSU, Sac St) is overlooking. They see us as the newbie in the conference who hasn't made much noise during transition which is fine for me why come out screaming in transition and then falling on your face when it counts (2008 and 2009 NDSU). I think with a big crowd, lots of excitement, and confidence...UND will be making plenty of noise these first few seasons and turn a lot of heads in doing so.

• Upvote 2

I don't think UND or its fans are taking any BSC team for granite. Any team can beat anyone, and UND is being one who most BSC fans of teams not knowing much about us (EWU, PSU, Sac St) is overlooking. They see us as the newbie in the conference who hasn't made much noise during transition which is fine for me why come out screaming in transition and then falling on your face when it counts (2008 and 2009 NDSU). I think with a big crowd, lots of excitement, and confidence...UND will be making plenty of noise these first few seasons and turn a lot of heads in doing so.

you mean granted.

'08 NDSU wasn't that bad. They weren't any good. But not bad. UND will probably need to win games before crowds start showing up. That is generally what happens in sports.

you mean granted.

'08 NDSU wasn't that bad. They weren't any good. But not bad. UND will probably need to win games before crowds start showing up. That is generally what happens in sports.

I think what Darrel was trying to say is that we aren't taking any big sky teams as being very solid like a big hunk of granite pretty much the opposite of not taking teams for granted

Well, all I can say is that UM & MSU have been running around in circles sniffing each other's behinds for way too long. It's time for someone to turn the hose on them. And if it's not the VIKS, then let's hope it's the SIOUX!

So Mr. Portland St. how should your team be next year? Who'd you lose? Who'd you bring in? What's changing in your program? Est.

Geaux_sioux, without getting too wordy in this thread, a little background. This is Burton's third year as coach. He was at Nevada previously, where he was introduced to the 'Pistol' offense, which he brought to PSU. Before he arrived we suffered through a few years under Jerry Glanville, who nearly destroyed the program. The Viks had one of the biggest turnarounds at the FCS level last year and was a field goal away from sharing the conference title. We lost a very good QB in Conner Kavanaugh, great running back, and a dynamite SS. Having said that, we picked up some very promising transfers from FBS programs and have a recruiting class that was rated #2 in the nation at the FCS level. Offensive line is all returning (led Big Sky in rushing the last two years). The likely starter at QB is a transfer from a California JC that broke Aaron Rodgers record for completions. Ian Ruder, a beat writer here in the Rose City, put together a short piece recently outlining the current state of affairs. Here's the link if you're so inclined. Have a great Memorial Day weekend.

http://ianruder.com/wp/?p=696

The team will finish a solid 5th the first 2-3 yrs. then will climb into playoffs. This is a definite, as of our talent level right now. Good talent just not top 4 BSC yet.

With Montana, MSU, Cal Poly we have some tough trees to chop down. It may take UND some time to get used to the BSC schedule, however our talent level IMO is better than last year especially if we have our QB situation under control.

http://www.gogriz.com/blog/2012/05/news-and-notes-from-the-big-sky-conference.html

It looks like college football has a couple of rule changes for this year. It should make kickoff returns interesting.

Two other football-related changes: 1) Kickoffs will be from the 35 yard line, and players on the coverage team need to start within five yards of the ball. 2) Touchbacks will be brought out to the 25 yard line.

I think people have to realize that with the unbalanced conference schedule, UND could put up a very good record and still finish in 5th.

Here's a scenario where UND is 6-2 and alone in 5th

Montana St 7-1 Only loss to Montana

Cal Poly 7-1 Only loss to North Dakota

Weber St. 7-1 Only loss to Cal Poly

Montana 7-1 Only loss to Weber St.

UND 6-2 Losses to Montana and Montana St.

I certainly couldn't be disappointed in a season like that. A win vs. Portland State in the non-conference game would put UND at the magic 7 wins and likely mean a playoff berth.

I think people have to realize that with the unbalanced conference schedule, UND could put up a very good record and still finish in 5th.

Here's a scenario where UND is 6-2 and alone in 5th

Montana St 7-1 Only loss to Montana

Cal Poly 7-1 Only loss to North Dakota

Weber St. 7-1 Only loss to Cal Poly

Montana 7-1 Only loss to Weber St.

UND 6-2 Losses to Montana and Montana St.

I certainly couldn't be disappointed in a season like that. A win vs. Portland State in the non-conference game would put UND at the magic 7 wins and likely mean a playoff berth.

For some reason I feel like the conference schedule will be more like a meat grinder than a pinata