SiouxSports.com Forum

alerus is on the list

UND1

These lists are ridiculous. We are lucky to have the Alerus, but it was certainly poorly thought out. Who builds a $100 million facility that lacks the ability to grow to meet the needs of university it was designed to cater to? What will happen to the Alerus once UND outgrows it? I can't believe they didn't think this far ahead.

These lists are ridiculous. We are lucky to have the Alerus, but it was certainly poorly thought out. Who builds a $100 million facility that lacks the ability to grow to meet the needs of university it was designed to cater to? What will happen to the Alerus once UND outgrows it? I can't believe they didn't think this far ahead.

The Alerus wasn't designed for UND. It was designed as a multi-purpose facility for the city of Grand Forks. At the time there was no consideration of moving UND to Division I. Memorial Stadium has been around for decades and only needed additional seats for a limited number of games. And the building is a good size for FCS football, only a few schools in FCS have larger facilities.

The Alerus Center is well sized for the other events that are being held in the building. UND only plays 6 games in the building most years. UND moving out would hurt financially for a while, but those dates can be filled. UND is an important tenant for the building, but they don't cater the building to UND.

• Upvote 4

I have always thought that UND is very lucky to have the Alrus Center and Canad Inn complex. When we go to games we always stay at the Canad Inn. I am looking forward to this years football schedule with Big Sky teams.

• Upvote 3

1132719_f496.jpg

• Upvote 3

The Alerus Center cost $80 million, but you might want to ask that question to the people of the $105 million Ralph. The Alerus Center seats 13,500 for the secondary sport at UND, while the Ralph seats 12,000 for the big sport in town. While both should have used foresight, I would say the arena that has typically been subject to sellouts should be a little more culpable for lack of foresight, especially since Division 1 football wasn't in the immediate plans at the time and the Big Sky thus a pipe dream.

The Alerus Center cost $80 million, but you might want to ask that question to the people of the $105 million Ralph. The Alerus Center seats 13,500 for the secondary sport at UND, while the Ralph seats 12,000 for the big sport in town. While both should have used foresight, I would say the arena that has typically been subject to sellouts should be a little more culpable for lack of foresight, especially since Division 1 football wasn't in the immediate plans at the time and the Big Sky thus a pipe dream.

I agree with the REA point. Every time I go to a game there I look around at the wasted space and think of how many more people could fit in there if they had a little vision with the project. Sure the old one was tiny and people thought the new one was going to be too big, but this is just another example of a lack of vision up here. We should have taken the hint from Fargo with the Fargo Loaf and built bigger stadiums. Instead of being reactive we need to start having more proactive visions up here.

I agree with the REA point. Every time I go to a game there I look around at the wasted space and think of how many more people could fit in there if they had a little vision with the project. Sure the old one was tiny and people thought the new one was going to be too big, but this is just another example of a lack of vision up here. We should have taken the hint from Fargo with the Fargo Loaf and built bigger stadiums. Instead of being reactive we need to start having more proactive visions up here.

Actually, Ralph wanted it built at 15,000 and the other people talked him out of it, thinking it was too big for Grand Forks.