SiouxSports.com Forum

GW Tournament

UND92,96

Trying to figure this out. If they win the tournament, that is not an automatic NCAA bid. But, are they eligible for the NCAA tournament this year? I thought they had a year up on the men's program. If not, is there a post season possibility at all?

No autobid for this conference and UND isn't elligible until next year anyway, but they could be selected for other postseason tournaments.

Does anyone kn ow why Chicago State is not playing in the Men's tourney? Seems weird to host an event and not play?

I believe Chicago St. can't play in the tournament because of academics. I don't remember the details surrounding it, but they weren't in compliance with certain rules or regulations.

After searching for more information, I found this...

"If after all that, you're still interested in seeing the Great West Conference Tournament, great news! It's being held in Chicago! Sadly, the hometown team, Chicago State, won't be playing, as they were banned from postseason play by the NCAA for having an Academic Progress Rate below standards."

Source

Trying to figure this out. If they win the tournament, that is not an automatic NCAA bid. But, are they eligible for the NCAA tournament this year? I thought they had a year up on the men's program. If not, is there a post season possibility at all?

Like last year the GWC champ has an autobid to the CIT.

Like last year the GWC champ has an autobid to the CIT.

Just to point out, the autobid for the CIT is only on the men's side. The women don't receive a bid to any post season tourney for winning the GWC. However, there is a women's tournament called the Women's Basketball Invitational. Roebuck has said that if they win the GWC tourney, UND may have a pretty good chance of being invited to that. Chicago St. and South Dakota participated in the WBI last year along with schools like Cleveland St., Idaho, Northern Colorado, and Wright St. just to name a few. UAB won it last year.

Womens Basketball Invitational

Just to point out, the autobid for the CIT is only on the men's side. The women don't receive a bid to any post season tourney for winning the GWC. However, there is a women's tournament called the Women's Basketball Invitational. Roebuck has said that if they win the GWC tourney, UND may have a pretty good chance of being invited to that. Chicago St. and South Dakota participated in the WBI last year along with schools like Cleveland St., Idaho, Northern Colorado, and Wright St. just to name a few. UAB won it last year.

Womens Basketball Invitational

I hope UND gets invited to the WBI, as for the GWC tourny I hope UND can get over their road woes and step it up in the tournament. We need to make a statement, we already beat the Summit League champion, the Big Sky champion, our closest rival all in one season. Despite free throw hell and road woes if this team can pull it together and play solid basketball we can not only win the GWC tourny but make a dent in the CIT. Next year we take the Big Sky by storm!!!

I hope UND gets invited to the WBI, as for the GWC tourny I hope UND can get over their road woes and step it up in the tournament. We need to make a statement, we already beat the Summit League champion, the Big Sky champion, our closest rival all in one season. Despite free throw hell and road woes if this team can pull it together and play solid basketball we can not only win the GWC tourny but make a dent in the CIT. Next year we take the Big Sky by storm!!!

While I agree with this post, I think you are referring to the Men's team...Either way, good luck to both the Women's and Men's team. It would be nice for the Women to send Gene out with another conference Championship!

While I agree with this post, I think you are referring to the Men's team...Either way, good luck to both the Women's and Men's team. It would be nice for the Women to send Gene out with another conference Championship!

Dammit...brain fart I thought I was on the men's board. Oh well as for the women's team. You have won 10 in a row haven't lost since January, keep playing tough and you will win it all!!!!