SiouxSports.com Forum

This Nickname Issue is Wearing Me Out!

Taz Boy

My Friends:

I cannot tell you how tiring it is to have to deal with this nickname issue for so many years. The amount of energy I spend concerning the Fighting Sioux controversy heavily taxes my otherwise worthwhile endeavors. These would include sleeping, firearms, Guitar Hero, and setting up my DVR to record Spartacus: Vengeance.

It is so exhausting that I am compelled to post about it at length on this message board. Consider the time it takes me to turn on my computer, open Chrome, select thread http://forum.siouxsp...m/2-sioux-name/, and then read the contents in there entirety as well as all associated links to articles and blogs. Demanding to say the least!

Why, just yesterday, I spent nearly 35-40 minutes reading articles and posts during normal work hours when I could have been revising budgets, submitting proposals, and otherwise working revenue issues important to the business. Who is going to reimburse my employer for that lost time? Spirit Lake? Jim Dahl?

Then, just when I get back into focusing on important activities, like watching NHL hockey, CHIRP, CHIRP CHIRP, the damned phone announces the inevitable text...

"Hey, how bout that sue petishun drv? WTF? U need drink? We @ B-dubs in Chan. Get ovr here, panzy. John honked in sink after 4th shot. bwwwwaaaaaa haaaaa haaaaa. dooshbag."

...and so it goes. I'm now trying to navigate the touchscreen keyboard for the next 46 minutes to comment in detail on the all-consuming Fighting Sioux Nickname Issue while driving to BWW, nearly colliding head on with a F150 on Highway 5! I could have been seriously injured, all due to the stupid petition drive and selfish nickname supporters!

And now I'm late for yet another meeting. Thanks, SiouxSports. Thanks a lot.

taz

I'm afraid that is how the politcally correct machine of the world runs. Whine and whine until it wears people out into capitulating. What bothers me the most is that it seems by coaches saying they can't comment at this time, that they are being muzzled on the subject. While at this point it is probably best that they don't fan the flame, it really galls me that muzzling people wasn't practiced wisely by the prior administrations at UND. I fully agree with Ralph Engelstad that Professors that were slamming UND about the nickname years ago should have been fired because they worked for the institution. The fact that it now appears to be the other way around is really upsetting. If someone would have had the common sense back then to tell the Professor's to shut their yap if they want to remain employed at UND, then maybe it would never have come to this. Don't know if that same ultimatum has been laid down for the coaches now, but they sure get eerily quiet and on edge any time the nickname is mentioned.

Why, just yesterday, I spent nearly 35-40 minutes reading articles and posts during normal work hours when I could have been revising budgets, submitting proposals, and otherwise working revenue issues important to the business. Who is going to reimburse my employer for that lost time? Spirit Lake? Jim Dahl?

People like you make the rest of us look bad with all of your fancy, schmancy "productivity" ...

... I fully agree with Ralph Engelstad that Professors that were slamming UND about the nickname years ago should have been fired because they worked for the institution. The fact that it now appears to be the other way around is really upsetting. If someone would have had the common sense back then to tell the Professor's to shut their yap if they want to remain employed at UND, then maybe it would never have come to this. ...

...or maybe we should have dumped the arrogance and intimidation years ago and stated an honest discussion with the people who held the power on this issue all along: the tribes in North Dakota. At this point, however, I'm not sure doling out blame gets anything done.

...or maybe we should have dumped the arrogance and intimidation years ago and stated an honest discussion with the people who held the power on this issue all along: the tribes in North Dakota. At this point, however, I'm not sure doling out blame gets anything done.

It was done a long time ago in a tribal ceremony. If permission wasn't granted we wouldn't be having this discussion today -- period. We would have had another nickname that we cultivated and branded over the years and wouldn't have to start over 50 years later.

People like you make the rest of us look bad with all of your fancy, schmancy "productivity" ...

Ha! My original version had it at 3-4 hours. The truth lies somewhere in the middle. Cursed forum topics consuming my every waking moment. And, through no fault of my own, impacting my job. Why can't we pass legislation to protect me from this!

taz

Ha! My original version had it at 3-4 hours. The truth lies somewhere in the middle. Cursed forum topics consuming my every waking moment. And, through no fault of my own, impacting my job. Why can't we pass legislation to protect me from this!

taz

Taz, you are having a rough year.

Not only this Sioux nickname issue, but the bankrupcy of Dippin' Dots!

I feel your pain...

Ha! My original version had it at 3-4 hours. The truth lies somewhere in the middle. Cursed forum topics consuming my every waking moment. And, through no fault of my own, impacting my job. Why can't we pass legislation to protect me from this! taz

Meh, I bet I can find a better "kill switch" on Ebay.

BTW, have you filed your TPS reports with the new coversheet yet?

I'm afraid that is how the politcally correct machine of the world runs. Whine and whine until it wears people out into capitulating. What bothers me the most is that it seems by coaches saying they can't comment at this time, that they are being muzzled on the subject. While at this point it is probably best that they don't fan the flame, it really galls me that muzzling people wasn't practiced wisely by the prior administrations at UND. I fully agree with Ralph Engelstad that Professors that were slamming UND about the nickname years ago should have been fired because they worked for the institution. The fact that it now appears to be the other way around is really upsetting. If someone would have had the common sense back then to tell the Professor's to shut their yap if they want to remain employed at UND, then maybe it would never have come to this. Don't know if that same ultimatum has been laid down for the coaches now, but they sure get eerily quiet and on edge any time the nickname is mentioned.

Is that why Hak send out an email?

Is that why Hak send out an email?

Perhaps that is what led to the apparent need for silence on the homefront. Again, I don't disagree that it should be practiced, just not happy that it wasn't part of the philosophy before it ever came to this.

It was done a long time ago in a tribal ceremony. If permission wasn't granted we wouldn't be having this discussion today -- period. We would have had another nickname that we cultivated and branded over the years and wouldn't have to start over 50 years later.

Apparently, the next generation of leadership at SR didn't get the memo.

BTW, have you filed your TPS reports with the new coversheet yet?

"Aaaahhhhmmmmm, yyyyeeeeaaaahh. If you could just go ahead and do that from now on that would be grrrrrrreeeeaaat."

I didn't get the memo on those cover sheets. But, regardless, I tend to do the 15 pieces of flair for my reports.