SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. UNM

UNDsportsFANATIC

Don't you think we should hold off on saying this team has regressed? Last year through the first 15 games UND was 6-9 with there best win probably Sac State. This year through 15 games the team is also 6-9 but with some more impressive wins over Montana and SDSU. I think we need to let them start playing some of the other Great West teams before saying they have regressed.

Summed up so very well. There is a lot of the ''sky is falling" crowd prevalent right now. But your use of facts proves that we are panicked when we really shouldn't be...yet. Would last years team beaten either Montana or SDSU? I venture to say no. Last years squad took a long time to win on the road too, and they didn't have road games against KU and New Mexico either.

As I see it, some progress has been made this year in terms of how the team has played at home for the most part. However, the road play continues to be a big problem, and there's really no sugarcoating that. While I certainly do not expect wins at teams like Kansas or New Mexico, the fact that we can't win at UMKC (USD won there tonight by 19) or Idaho St. (Montana won there by 24) is quite disappointing, as is the lengthy non-conference road losing streak.

It's obviously this team has lost all chemistry.

Dont know if they have lost any chemistry from last year cause I dont think they had alot of chemistry last year either. They are playing the exact same way as last year and that is what puzzles me the most. Nobody is doing anything different, there are still guys taking terrible shots and shots they should not be taking. The coaches are allowing the same things game after game. They are not improving in the areas that need improved on. That is what is most discouraging. They have enough talent to do so much better. Is it coaching or do some of these players just not understand how to play TEAM basketball. I watch these good teams and they play fundamental basketball with good ball movement and a solid inside out game. We DO NOT have an inside out game at all and that makes it so easy to guard our bigs. It goes down low and all you have to do is collapse on them. Our guards plus Huff penetrate very well and never kick it outside but throw up some horrible shots. Players just stand on offense with little or no movement. Obviously this is what they are suppose to do cause they do it every game. We have had 2 very good wins this year and that is it. Until we learn to play as a team we will continue to be so so with some good games but mostly poor games. I see players getting frustrated with how we are playing.

Summed up so very well. There is a lot of the ''sky is falling" crowd prevalent right now. But your use of facts proves that we are panicked when we really shouldn't be...yet. Would last years team beaten either Montana or SDSU? I venture to say no. Last years squad took a long time to win on the road too, and they didn't have road games against KU and New Mexico either.

So you are happy with the level of play we are at? Do you feel this team has improved from where they were at the end of last year?

So you are happy with the level of play we are at? Do you feel this team has improved from where they were at the end of last year?

To answer your question- yes believe it or not this team has improved. Although, it's hard to say just how much- when it seems that we always are constantly battling players out of the line-up due to injury or illness. They still need to improve a lot more in my eyes. But compared to when they won the post season tournament title last year-- they are better- if only slightly so. It would appear that your expectations of this team are different than mine in that you set your hopes that this team would be at a different level because they won that post-season title. The reality was- they won the GWC post season title- nothing more. But, in my mind- we are improving. We have shown the ability to play with some pretty good basketball teams at HOME. That is a start. I submit- that we would have been stomped even at home previous years & even last year by the likes of SDSU, Montana & Western Illinois(who it appears, is actually a pretty good basketball team this year) So we are getting better. Being able to compete on the road in D1 college basketball is another thing this team will have to learn. But I'm not going to doubt that they won't eventually figure it out- because they are starting to figure out how to play to protect the home floor in big games-there's no reason to suggest that they aren't smart enought to figure out how to get some road wins eventually. I don't get to see every road game- in fact I get to see very few, but from what I gather it seems that no matter who it is...it seems we hang around for a good portion or even lead but always have a bad stretch of 6 to 8 minutes where it all blows up. No offense but that's on the players- whether it's nerves, or focus issues. They've got to be the ones that properly compartmentalize everything and get the job done.

Finally, how can you possibly be a good road team when all you do is travel during this D1 transition? I'm sorry but if you look at the month of December and you see just how little time the team got at home to practice. You can see why guys get tired or lose focus. The schedule isn't anything close to normal or balanced as compared to being in a decent conference with at least 8 to 10 schools. In order to get a full schedule of games they have to front load the schedule so much -most of the time with road contests- it quickly becomes survival when you get home from a 4 day road trip and then have 24 hours before having to depart on the next one. Honestly, looking at our December schedule I know I wouldn't be performing at my best level having to slog through all those road trips. It's just a fact of life. Do you remember how sharp you were when you were getting a wake up call at 330am to go to the airport when you were a college student? I can only imagine that it is a challenge at the very minimum. Our women's program to my knowledge has struggled mightily with this over their 5 year transition period too. I really despise excuses, because it appears to be what this is...but if you look at the facts, can you blame us for being crappy on the road.

So again, when i see us at home- yes as compared to previous years to me we are improved. Do we have to get better? yes. Do you think our players or staff are satisfied? I imagine no- if you answer yes- then I would be shocked and that would be bad. It appears to me that this D1 transition is beginning to wear on the patience of fans. But what can anyone really expect through this transition when you have periods on the road for a month at time. Look at Minot States D2 transition- they get 5 home games this year- 2 are on the same weekend. The rest of the time they are on the road- & the road is hard especially when you spend prolonged periods on it.

I wasn't ripping on him. Just don't want him to throw up threes when he isn't open. I agree he has been playing well. So settle down.

UNDsportsFanatic has a pretty serious man-crush on Huff. You just need to let it go.... regardless of how many shots the guy forces.

• Upvote 1

Also, it seems that Huff seems to be the primary target for strong criticism. I do believe Huff deserves scrutiny at times for some of the shots he takes, he also is not the only person on the team. When the offense has trouble in spurts it's on everyone. Because Huff has made some silly plays, he has also made some ridiculously wonderful plays- We can just hope as he continues to progress in his UND career that he will become better at discerning the time to force it and when not to. I actually believe sometimes he has to force it. He is a scorer and when the team isn't scoring I would want the guy that has the capibility of making a tough basket to try be the guy that gets us going. Now that doesn't mean I want him forcing it all the time and it certainly doesn't mean that I don't want him to get better in the area of shot selection. I'm just trying to point out that he too is growing & maturing, I'm not going to avalanche the young guy with constant criticism. Huff was good at New Mexico- attacking, he even hit from the perimeter.

One area that I will definitely find myself at the opposite end of the argument is that many here feel that Troy should stop shooting 3's. I completely disagree. He needs to shoot the 3 sometimes- not a lot- but some, we just need him to start making some, because if he's going to continue to score at the basket, he's going need guys to come out and guard him for the shot. Once he becomes one dimensional, he becomes easier to guard. Actually, of the 3's I've seen him take at home games- very few have been forced (challenged with a hand in his face) he just needs to knock down the 3's when he takes them and when he hits a couple in a game- he's going to have 20 plus points because they will have to come out and guard and then it's green light for the blow by.

Exactly my point green team. UND BIZ or whatever your screen name is; it's not about a man crush at all. You people on here criticize this kid in every forum. It's getting to the point where people are looking for things to point out. Like green team said, alllll of these young men make mistakes and take bad shots, but we only seem to focus on Huff. The kid is a scorer, every shot he takes won't be a good one. Give him credit for playing aggressively offensively. If he took 3 shots a game, you people will complain. The kid had 22 points @ New Mexico and 8 rebounds and only 2 turnovers. I'm just waiting for people find something negative to say about this one. Not to be negative like you all, but we never point Webb's turnovers, Brekkes lack of rebounding. So as far as a man crush, I'll take that, and I won't let go. When you become relevant let me know please.

Green team, I really dont think we have improved from last year. Yes, we beat a couple of really good teams at home. I look at areas alot of people tend to not look at. I look at good shot selection, amount of assists in a game, finding the open man when double/triple teamed and most importantly an inside out game. All are basic fundamentals of good basketball. This year we still take way too many bad shots and our assists in most games are dreadful and way too much one on one stuff. I watch everygame one way or another and hardly ever recall a game where we have a single inside out basket. Look at the assist numbers for our bigs. Its horrible for a D1 school. Granted bigs dont have alot of assists compared to other positions but ours are non-exisstant. I really dont understand what the coaches are looking at in our game films game after game. Players must understand by now what is a good shot for them and the coaches must inforce this on them. Dont see this happening. People are critical of Huff (including myself) because he takes way too many bad shots a game. Nobody needs to take that many bad shots a game for any reason. He can score his 15+ points a game taking 5-6 fewer shots easily. I have said many times this team has the talent in the sophomore class to really made a difference in the years to come but alot of changes have to be made by players and coaches. This class has now played 49 D1 games together and I see that nothing has changed from last year. I really hope it changes. Regardless I will still be at most home games and watching all the other games cheering on the Sioux and hoping for the results that can be made by this team. Go Sioux

Sioux2013: I knew u weren't far behind! Lol. Your Huff's biggest critic. Can I ask you a question, why is it that you don't critic ANYONE besides Huff? All of your posts are geared negatively toward Huff

Probably the same way you do nothing but talk about how great he is. From the very first scrimmage you claimed he was the best UND has ever had and continue to only comment every post on how good he is. Nothing good about anybody else I have said many times he has the most talent of anyone on this team and has by far the most athleticsm. With that maybe I expect better control by him than to watch his out of control play every game. He shoots so many shots with 2 and 3 guys on him with no thought what so ever of passing the ball to a wide open player. He has had a few games where he is under control and makes nice passes and when that happens the team is a much better team. Kind of like when Michael Jordan first came to the Bulls he shot the ball a ton and scored 50 points a game and the Bulls lost. Once he understood that did nothing for the team he got all his team mates involved more and he scored alittle less but the TEAM starting winning. Basketball is a TEAM game and I really dont think Huff truly understands this concept. Like I said I watch every game and once he changes and the coaches make him change then this team will start to win more consistantly. Alot rides on whether Huff changes. Look at the box scores and when he shoots15-20 times and no one else shoots much we lose big time. One player cannot take 30+% of our shots and we win with 5-6 of those horrible shots. If you dont understand this then you dont know anything about basketball. We need more balance cause 6 of our guys have proven if given the chance can put up 20 points in a given night.

Ok Siou2013. Alright buddy. You have the answer!

I think I do. I strongly believe that the future of this team in the next 2 years rides more so with Huff than any other player we have. He has the ability to make the biggest difference on this team and the ability to get everyone involved more. I truly like our players for the next couple of years and others need to make changes also. Webb needs to seriously cut down on turnovers, Brekke needs to play smarter and not get so many fouls and look opposite when he is double teamed, Schuler needs to look to shoot more, Goodman just needs to stay healthy, Anderson is playing great this season and needs to continue, Allard needs to stop shooting outside 5 feet. That pretty much is our players that play. Back to Huff, he is the difference maker for this TEAM. The smarter he plays the better we will be, period. Its up to him and the coaches. I hope someday soon he realizes this and then the team will unite. Go Sioux

Exactly my point green team. UND BIZ or whatever your screen name is; it's not about a man crush at all. You people on here criticize this kid in every forum. It's getting to the point where people are looking for things to point out. Like green team said, alllll of these young men make mistakes and take bad shots, but we only seem to focus on Huff. The kid is a scorer, every shot he takes won't be a good one. Give him credit for playing aggressively offensively. If he took 3 shots a game, you people will complain. The kid had 22 points @ New Mexico and 8 rebounds and only 2 turnovers. I'm just waiting for people find something negative to say about this one. Not to be negative like you all, but we never point Webb's turnovers, Brekkes lack of rebounding. So as far as a man crush, I'll take that, and I won't let go. When you become relevant let me know please.

:ohmy:

Oh now you hurt my feelings :silly: I hope you're at least able to get something out of being the loser who follows the one athletic kid he knows around campus acting like he's your best friend :lol:

I think the reason we focus on Huff's poor play is because we know he has the talent to be a great player, but his mind/ego are getting in the way. This makes us angry because if he played to what we believe is his potential, UND would be a much better team and would be winning more games (or at least one on the road maybe). From some of your previous posts stating that Huff is the best player UND has ever seen, it would appear that you don't even know who Jerome Beasley is. Therefore, I conclude that you are 1. new to UND and 2. not very knowledgable about UND basketball.

Back to UND relevance. I've seen a couple of the guys on campus. I overheard someone talking to them about the NDSU game. They seemed a bit confident that this half of the season will be a 360. And that "it will be a 360 from what we seen in the 1st half" I hope that's the case.

I'd prefer a 180 to a 360.........................

• Upvote 2