SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

No my sisters don't prefer me, open your curtains get some sun, better yet take those poor neglected kids of yours outside it is a beautiful day, I have to go take my kid to hockey now.

Why don't you go back to Bisonville and post about your love for UND athletics...I mean thats why you are here right.

I call you out on something you wrote and you resort to taking pot shots about my sister, you are unable to debate a single issue, youre responses are the exact same for the last 9000 posts, idiot behind a keyboard with no substance.

I want you to prove the numerous posts I did about UND playing in the FBS while still be in the Alerus Center.

Is this the numerous post you are referring to??

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:52 PM

Does playing at a neutral site count in the average attendance? I heard that's what Eastern Michigan and MAC teams sometimes do

Holy crap!! That is not only numerous but also proves that I said UND can get corporate sponsorship and play FBS footall in the Alerus.

Found one more using the search option:

Posted by darell1976 on 11 October 2011 - 05:03 PM in NCAA News

snapback.pngUNDColorado, on 11 October 2011 - 03:33 PM, said:

I definitely agree that we need to follow the Montana schools wherever they go. If for some reason we cant follow them, is it out of the question to get the 3 other Dakota schools in the Big Sky as a last resort? Maybe now is the time to get serious about upgrading facilities?!

We would need just 1 upgrade to move to the FBS (Memorial Stadium!!), but with Eastern Michigan averaging only 3903 per game...maybe we can get away with playing football in the Alerus. Just make up some pretend seats and sell them. According to NCAA rules you can count butts in the seats or tickets sold...IMO it should be butts in the seats. But thats how EMU gets away with that 15,000 attendance minimum.

The last paragraph was my response...2 1/2 years ago...again numerous.

Your posts:

Darryl has some misguided delusion that if und goes fbs a corporation is going to step in and purchase enough tickets to keep them over the 15000 attendance requirement.

I get that from you, you have mentioned it numerous times in other threads about eastern Michigan, than proceed to ask if any corp. would do the same in Grand Forks

Is this the numerous post you are referring to??

Holy crap!! That is not only numerous but also proves that I said UND can get corporate sponsorship and play FBS footall in the Alerus.

How is UND playing at a neutral site going to help them? If you only get 6,000 fans to travel 5 miles to see a game, how are you going to get more at a larger stadium 350 miles away? Any FBS school that plays you will be at their stadium (an away game). There isn't a big draw for a UND/Southern Illinois game at TCF Bank Stadium or Soldier Field. Can you give us an example of a neutral site game you have in mind?

How is UND playing at a neutral site going to help them? If you only get 6,000 fans to travel 5 miles to see a game, how are you going to get more at a larger stadium 350 miles away? Any FBS school that plays you will be at their stadium (an away game). There isn't a big draw for a UND/Southern Illinois game at TCF Bank Stadium or Soldier Field. Can you give us an example of a neutral site game you have in mind?

In the recent past Wyoming has played home games at Tennessee vs the Vols. Other schools have done the same vs FBS.

I'm not getting in the UND argument cause I don't see a FBS move but the neutral site game isn't as uncommon as you think for small FBS schools

All I said was does a neutral site game count as your home attendance. It was a question since other teams do it. I am sure UND vs NDSU can fill up TCF Bank stadium pretty easily.

All I said was does a neutral site game count as your home attendance. It was a question since other teams do it. I am sure UND vs NDSU can fill up TCF Bank stadium pretty easily.

Good question. But that would never happen.

Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa St, Nebraska and Wisconsin would all practically fill the new Vikings stadium just from local alumni if UND hosted them as part of home - neutral arrangement.

That will never happen. If UND ever plays those schools, it is a road game in the opposing teams stadium.

"Never" is a really big word. Who would've believed Wyoming would "host" a game in Tennessee.

FCS teams don't "host" FBS teams in any stadium. Wyoming was FBS when they "hosted" a game in Tennessee. UND needs to "host" games in larger stadiums before they qualify to go FBS, so it's not happening. NDSU will never agree to UND hosting a game in Minneapolis, and they are the only FCS team that would draw any kind of a crowd in the Twin Cities. And no, Iowa State or Iowa will not play UND at a neutral site.

FCS teams don't "host" FBS teams in any stadium. Wyoming was FBS when they "hosted" a game in Tennessee. UND needs to "host" games in larger stadiums before they qualify to go FBS, so it's not happening. NDSU will never agree to UND hosting a game in Minneapolis, and they are the only FCS team that would draw any kind of a crowd in the Twin Cities. And no, Iowa State or Iowa will not play UND at a neutral site.

In the scenario presented here, UND would be hosting as a member of an FBS Big Sky.

Beyond that, in Year 2 of transition a team counts as FBS (and only in Year 2, not Year 1 of transition, do they have to start meeting the "15k rule"). I recommend that you read Section 20 of the Division I manual to understand the rule and requirements. (I have.)

In the scenario presented here, UND would be hosting as a member of an FBS Big Sky.

Beyond that, in Year 2 of transition a team counts as FBS (and only in Year 2, not Year 1 of transition, do they have to start meeting the "15k rule"). I recommend that you read Section 20 of the Division I manual to understand the rule and requirements. (I have.)

Wow, talking about the DI Manual and an FBS Big Sky in the same sentence. That's rich. Now that's a new lesson on talking out of both sides of your mouth. Not sure how you have any credibility after that slight of hand.

UND "hosting" a member of an FBS Big Sky will not help much. There are only 2 teams that will help and those are your "biggest rivals" U of Mont and MSU. UND will tell their fans that we are going FBS but unfortunately we will never be able to play U of Mont or MSU in the Alerus. That should go over well. The Montana schools would love it because they would have to "host" everybody in the Big Sky to help them get to the 15,000 mark except each other.

I don't have to read that section of the manual. My favorite team qualifies without bending the rules.

As much as you may try to shoot the messenger, the notion SiouxVolley has put forth is completely within the NCAA rules per the DI manual Section 20. Does it have many, seemingly implausible, moving parts? Some would say so. Of course, Rutgers in the Big Ten and TAMU in the SEC was implausible not that long ago too.

Do I expect to see it? Not really. Is it possible under the current governance? Yes.

As much as you may try to shoot the messenger, the notion SiouxVolley has put forth is completely within the NCAA rules per the DI manual Section 20. Does it have many, seemingly implausible, moving parts? Some would say so. Of course, Rutgers in the Big Ten and TAMU in the SEC was implausible not that long ago too.

Do I expect to see it? Not really. Is it possible under the current governance? Yes.

The NCAA has specific rules in place that protect the FBS level from a large influx of FCS schools, the same way that DI protects itself from the DII level move ups. DI FBS football will not allow entire conferences to move up enmass, but rather require conference invites to go through a review process, accepting them one at a time pending a legitimate conference invite. This thing SV has cooked up is not a legitimate invite situation.

I can assure you, the Big Sky, as a whole, is not going to be allowed to move FBS (current structure), any more than the entire Northern Sun would be allowed to move DI as a group. Each school would be reviewed on its own merits and would require a specific conference invite from an existing conf. An entire conference trying to move up would quickly be shut down by both the NCAA and FBS governing bodies. I'm talking about now, today, not some future FBS that is a shadow of its current self.

I can assure you

In Volley's theory, the Sun Belt doesn't invite "the Big Sky"; however, they invite Montana, Montana State, North Dakota, Portland State, Sac State, (other?), each individually, but yet en masse. That would meet the Section 20 requirements.

The NCAA has specific rules in place that protect the FBS level from a large influx of FCS schools, the same way that DI protects itself from the DII level move ups. DI FBS football will not allow entire conferences to move up enmass, but rather require conference invites to go through a review process, accepting them one at a time pending a legitimate conference invite. This thing SV has cooked up is not a legitimate invite situation.

I can assure you, the Big Sky, as a whole, is not going to be allowed to move FBS (current structure), any more than the entire Northern Sun would be allowed to move DI as a group. Each school would be reviewed on its own merits and would require a specific conference invite from an existing conf. An entire conference trying to move up would quickly be shut down by both the NCAA and FBS governing bodies. I'm talking about now, today, not some future FBS that is a shadow of its current self.

I can assure you

Moving from DII to DI is not the same as moving up from FCS to FBS as they are both DI. The only requirement in short is the 15,000 attendance rule and the increase of scholarships. I think SV as with Fullerton is talking about a conference move up after a Super 5 split and not during the current FBS format. (SV please correct me if I am wrong)

In Volley's theory, the Sun Belt doesn't invite "the Big Sky"; however, they invite Montana, Montana State, North Dakota, Portland State, Sac State, (other?), each individually, but yet en masse. That would meet the Section 20 requirements.

Then the SB could have a "Big Sky" division.

What possible value would doing so have for the Sunbelt, which already has lots of mouths to feed? Why would the Sunbelt do this?

Why would the Big Sky want to lose 5 or 6 of their best teams, serving to weaken or destroy football in the Big Sky?

Can you make any sense of this for the readers? It's not like you can goto the Sunbelt for 2 years to learn the ropes, then go back to the Big Sky and declare it FBS. This makes no sense for the Sunbelt, and less for the Big Sky.

What possible value would doing so have for the Sunbelt, which already has lots of mouths to feed? Why would the Sunbelt do this?

Why would the Big Sky want to lose 5 or 6 of their best teams, serving to weaken or destroy football in the Big Sky?

Can you make any sense of this for the readers? It's not like you can goto the Sunbelt for 2 years to learn the ropes, then go back to the Big Sky and declare it FBS. This makes no sense for the Sunbelt, and less for the Big Sky.

I explained this a billion times but some people are so dumb to listen. The Sun Belt didn't want the MVC or CAA merging with the WAC. Nor does it want Idaho as a permanent partner. So it agreed to Idaho's plan to make the Big Sky FBS down the road and gains a couple million in fees from the Big Sky. The Sun Belt doesn't have to deal with another FBS league in its backyard. Ergo: Mo St, James Madison, Delaware, E Kentucky eastern FCS teams have to bargain with the Sun Belt to go FBS. It's a brilliant deal for Idaho to get a regional FBS league and the Sun Belt to avoid a another regional league. There will be at least 8 Big Sky FBS teams, maybe as much as 14.

It makes sense for the Big Sky because they know FCS is dying. When the Big Sky goes FBS, the FCS will be truly a niche regional sport and not national.

For Bison fans, I can understand the grief that this will cause them. :lol:

Rumors are that Mo St and JMU are gone to FBS Sun Belt. Have speculating on this before, but FCS is losing more name teams. We play Mo St, including in 2017 when they would be fully FBS.

How many teams is the SB going to have like 20?