SiouxSports.com Forum

Former UND Alumni Association, Foundation boards presidents chime in

The Sicatoka

Here's the most pragmatic approach I've seen yet.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/208211/

A sample from the article:

Morris Tschider, a Bismarck attorney who earned a law degree from UND in 1958 and a master's degree in accounting in 1960, said that signing the letter was "extremely difficult" because of his regard for the Fighting Sioux nickname.

"In 50 years of association with the university, I never saw or heard anything negative relating to the nickname," he said. "This is going down because the Standing Rock Tribal Council refuses to allow the people to vote, and the position of the NCAA is ridiculous.

"But we have to move on. We're looking out for the welfare of UND, its faculty and its students. I think the Sioux nation is giving up a tremendous positive position, an image that has developed over the years, but this fight can't go on."

To those that say non-UND people are trying to change the name, it's pretty tough to discredit the credentials of this group.

And I'm with Morris.

• Upvote 2

"There may remain pockets (even large ones) of popular sentiment to retain the name and stand up to 'political correctness.' However good those intentions, they are shortsighted and will only do great harm to UND. Please act quickly to protect UND from further damage."

Precisely.

"Barring a change in the position of the NCAA toward UND and the promised sanctions, we are asking you to move quickly to remove any roadblocks to retiring the Fighting Sioux nickname. If this requires a 'special session' of the Legislature to repeal the recent law, it should be done swiftly

just shows the timing of what the sky is falling crowd has once again added more negative to something that can still be won

Here's the most pragmatic approach I've seen yet.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/208211/

A sample from the article:

To those that say non-UND people are trying to change the name, it's pretty tough to discredit the credentials of this group.

And I'm with Morris.

What he said..................

I wonder if maybe..................just maybe.............15 former PRESIDENTS of the Alumni Association perhaps have a slightly better grasp of this situation and the potential consequences that could come from it that does Al Carlson.............

Former US Ag Secretary, former ND Governor, UND alumnus Ed Schafer chimes in as well.

http://plainsdaily.com/entry/ed-schafer-time-for-fighting-sioux-nickname-to-go/

Although he did not sign yesterday’s letter, Schafer, himself a past president of both UND’s Alumni Association and Foundation Board, expressed his weariness of the state’s continuing battle with the NCAA.

“I’ve just come to the conclusion that it’s over,” said Schafer. “As much as I would like to keep the name; it’s not going to happen. We’ve spent too much time, resources and effort to fight it. Let’s get it over with, make the transition and move on. I don’t particularly like that, but that’s where it’s at.”

Given this quote:

Former US Ag Secretary, former ND Governor, UND alumnus Ed Schafer chimes in as well.

http://plainsdaily.c...nickname-to-go/

Although he did not sign yesterday's letter, Schafer, himself a past president of both UND's Alumni Association and Foundation Board, expressed his weariness of the state's continuing battle with the NCAA.

"I've just come to the conclusion that it's over," said Schafer. "As much as I would like to keep the name; it's not going to happen. We've spent too much time, resources and effort to fight it. Let's get it over with, make the transition and move on. I don't particularly like that, but that's where it's at."

And this one:

QuoteMorris Tschider, a Bismarck attorney who earned a law degree from UND in 1958 and a master's degree in accounting in 1960, said that signing the letter was "extremely difficult" because of his regard for the Fighting Sioux nickname.

"In 50 years of association with the university, I never saw or heard anything negative relating to the nickname," he said. "This is going down because the Standing Rock Tribal Council refuses to allow the people to vote, and the position of the NCAA is ridiculous.

It would seem that there might be some high-powered support for proceeding as outlined below:

It may be the NCAA's game and they may make the rules - but they do not have the moral high ground. No organization that has such a narrowly defined policy that is so unevenly applied ever could. At this point we comply or perish, but because of the very narrowness of the policy's definition and the very uneveness of its application, only the most minimum of compliance can be justified. The law should be changed to reflect the following: The athletic teams of the University of North Dakota shall be officially known and referred to as the "Fighting Sioux" or if not, they shall be officially known and referred to as only "the University of North Dakota". That should be a way out for everyone - Al Carlson can claim that while he couldn't save it, he kept the name from being changed to another - the NCAA, Kelley and all the other academic PC elitists can claim they got rid of the nickname - and we fans can rest easy knowing we will not have to suffer the charade of pretending that any other nickname could possibly replace "Fighting Sioux". Further - since all of the NCAA membership left us twisting in the wind in our hour of need and support - it is only fitting that all opponents be referred in any University of North Dakota media (programs, publications, releases, PA announcements, scoreboards, etc.) as by only the name of their school - no nicknames. A subtle way to remind everyone that we may be beaten, but we will never be broken, and that we will always remember how it was and by whom we had our proud name ripped from us against our will and without justification.

More from Ed Schafer. A pretty good read actually.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/208333

Gov/Sec'y Schafer did a very nice job of presenting expectations of what the NCAA will do on the 25th:

He also said Bernard Franklin, the NCAA vice president who has taken the lead on pressing the policy against use of Indian names and imagery, was