SiouxSports.com Forum

Tate Forcier

the green team

I'm not sure what is going on with this guy. From what I read, he has some very good skill. I notice we're not anywhere on his list but ...his list of possibles does include of one of our soon to be conference mates...Montana. Don't we need a QB? Maybe we should somehow enter this fray. The Griz have a history of finding quarterbacks that have been unhappy at major schools and getting them to play effectively in Missoula. Perhaps, that's a philosophy we should start employing ourselves?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6584880

I'm not sure what is going on with this guy. From what I read, he has some very good skill. I notice we're not anywhere on his list but ...his list of possibles does include of one of our soon to be conference mates...Montana. Don't we need a QB? Maybe we should somehow enter this fray. The Griz have a history of finding quarterbacks that have been unhappy at major schools and getting them to play effectively in Missoula. Perhaps, that's a philosophy we should start employing ourselves?

The guy was academically ineligible, is from California, and obviously has no clue about geography. He is probably going to end up on the West coast somewhere if it is true he wants to play close to home, but I think he just has issues.

Unfortunately, UND doesn't have the facilities to attract a recruit like Forcier. Montana has excellent facilities including an impressive FBS quality stadium as well as a big fan base. If we had a practice facility and a new stadium we could easily out recruit most FCS programs. In my opinion, UND (and the city of Grand Forks) does a horrible job in constructing athletic arenas, they seem to construct buildings that will end up being to small (Alerus and REA).

I really don't see it as an arena issue. The Alerus has been fine. When were in the D2 playoffs it was a very good, loud and a great atmosphere. I think it can become that again. I don't agree that it's too small. Maybe someday attendance will warrant a look at another facility for football but not now. In fact, I would argue that our recent lack of attendance has very little to do with the Alerus being too small. As far as the comparison to Washington-Griz stadium. I argue that no stadium in FCS in the entire country compares to Washington Griz. Facilities wise, I've been told that recruits are very excited about what we have- it's often been said that if we can get a recruit to make a visit to campus (no matter the sport) there is a good chance we'll land them. (That speaks well of our campus and athletic facilities) Not to say that we can't get better as the practice facility is a vision t that has been put together, and hopefully that will have a chance to come to fruitition.

Tate Forcier, may have issues- but I don't think thats going to dissuade Montana from trying to bring him in. That's the game that is played now days. I agree that its a bit shameful that its like that... but, what do you do? Personally, I would think there is at least a 40 to 50 percent chance that he does indeed end up with the Griz. As I've mentioned Montana has a knack for getting players like that.

And no, he will not come here, but I think it would help our QB situation if he did.

I really don't see it as an arena issue. The Alerus has been fine. When were in the D2 playoffs it was a very good, loud and a great atmosphere. I think it can become that again. I don't agree that it's too small. Maybe someday attendance will warrant a look at another facility for football but not now. In fact, I would argue that our recent lack of attendance has very little to do with the Alerus being too small. As far as the comparison to Washington-Griz stadium. I argue that no stadium in FCS in the entire country compares to Washington Griz. Facilities wise, I've been told that recruits are very excited about what we have- it's often been said that if we can get a recruit to make a visit to campus (no matter the sport) there is a good chance we'll land them. (That speaks well of our campus and athletic facilities) Not to say that we can't get better as the practice facility is a vision t that has been put together, and hopefully that will have a chance to come to fruitition.

Tate Forcier, may have issues- but I don't think thats going to dissuade Montana from trying to bring him in. That's the game that is played now days. I agree that its a bit shameful that its like that... but, what do you do? Personally, I would think there is at least a 40 to 50 percent chance that he does indeed end up with the Griz. As I've mentioned Montana has a knack for getting players like that.

And no, he will not come here, but I think it would help our QB situation if he did.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. The Alerus was probably just fine for Div.2 playoffs, but we're moving up to Div. 1 and I guarantee attendance will skyrocket to new records within the first season of the Big Sky. As far as the facilities are concerned they are virtually non-existant, I work out at the Wellness Center on campus everyday and notice that is where the majority of the football, basketball, and most other sports teams work out at at (hockey is the exception). The Wellness Center is very nice and has decent equipment but it's not going to help sign high end recruits. We are a very proud institution and have high expectations for the future, we need a strong strategic plan on where we are going, how long it will take to get there, and what the students, faculty, alumni, and fans can do to get there faster.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. The Alerus was probably just fine for Div.2 playoffs, but we're moving up to Div. 1 and I guarantee attendance will skyrocket to new records within the first season of the Big Sky. As far as the facilities are concerned they are virtually non-existant, I work out at the Wellness Center on campus everyday and notice that is where the majority of the football, basketball, and most other sports teams work out at at (hockey is the exception). The Wellness Center is very nice and has decent equipment but it's not going to help sign high end recruits. We are a very proud institution and have high expectations for the future, we need a strong strategic plan on where we are going, how long it will take to get there, and what the students, faculty, alumni, and fans can do to get there faster.

While attendence should go up, UND will need to win, right away if they want "new records" in the Alerus, it would be very hard to warrant a new stadium if you don't sellout each and every game for years., I don't think athletes use the Wellness Center, at least at NDSU they aren't allowed to for team workouts, I'd assume UND is the same and has seperate facilities. The basketball arena for UND is the Betty right? Its very nice in there and people just aren't going right now. I do not think you should complain about the REA considering it is considered one of the best hockey facilities in the nation. Just cause something doesn't hold 100,000 people. Ever heard of Cameron Indoor? Where the mothertruckin' DUKE BLUE DEVILS play, it holds at most 10,000. Great atmosphere and fans. The REA holds something around 11 or 12,000 correct? Sounds like what a hockey game should be holding if you want everyone to have a decent/good seat.

Back onto topic, sorry for the rant. Guys like Tate Forcier don't come to places like NDSU or UND. That douche will think he is tough and transfer to some other school where he wont play or he will wise up and end up at Montana, they have that reputation of getting those guys and have a fantastic program right now.

While attendence should go up, UND will need to win, right away if they want "new records" in the Alerus, it would be very hard to warrant a new stadium if you don't sellout each and every game for years., I don't think athletes use the Wellness Center, at least at NDSU they aren't allowed to for team workouts, I'd assume UND is the same and has seperate facilities. The basketball arena for UND is the Betty right? Its very nice in there and people just aren't going right now. I do not think you should complain about the REA considering it is considered one of the best hockey facilities in the nation. Just cause something doesn't hold 100,000 people. Ever heard of Cameron Indoor? Where the mothertruckin' DUKE BLUE DEVILS play, it holds at most 10,000. Great atmosphere and fans. The REA holds something around 11 or 12,000 correct? Sounds like what a hockey game should be holding if you want everyone to have a decent/good seat.

Back onto topic, sorry for the rant. Guys like Tate Forcier don't come to places like NDSU or UND. That douche will think he is tough and transfer to some other school where he wont play or he will wise up and end up at Montana, they have that reputation of getting those guys and have a fantastic program right now.

I have witnessed on a regular basis UND athletes working out at the Wellness Center, granted that they are not official group work outs, but they do a majority of their strength training in that facility. I am definitely not complaining about the REA, my point was that it was built without the possibility of being able to accommodate more seating, they could easily sell 2,000-5,000 more tickets per game (depending on the game). The Alerus is a nice facility but my main complaint is the lack of vision on the part of the City to sink that much money into an arena that the University will one day out grow, if they would have built it with expansion in mind we would not be having this conversation and UND football would have a permanent home.

If Idaho's Kibbie Dome can seat 15,000, so can the Alerus Center. The Kibbie Dome has bleacher seating with narrow width "seats". One way that the Alerus could be "expanded" is to temporarily replace the student section folding chair seating with bleacher seating - that could add almost 1000 "seats" just by having narrow "butt" width for the students (who have smaller posteriors anyway and often stand anyway). Make the folding seats and bench seating interchangeable for football to concert changeover. Then add risers in the endzones concourses for another 700 to 1000. Include the seating of the suites as part of the capacity, and, voila, more than 15,000 capacity.

Ralph originally wanted the REA to seat 15,000 or more, but was talked out of it. The REA is fine as is, as its size maintains high demand. Because of the Ralph's "limited" size, that allows higher pricing power.

If and when the indoor practice center is constructed, that should create an athletic "Wellness Center", which is the major need of the athletic department.

The venue that is truly undersized is the Betty. Perhaps the Betty could be expanded to the north so the stands are "U" shaped around the court and larger restrooms and concession areas under a north end stands.

The word on Forcier is that he likes the "herb". That plus his academic issues make him a risk for anyone who ends up with his services.

A growing cottage industry in Missoula is a certain medicinal herb, complements of the Montana legislature. Could understand Forcier's attraction to that city. :ohmy:

If Idaho's Kibbie Dome can seat 15,000, so can the Alerus Center. The Kibbie Dome has bleacher seating with narrow width "seats". One way that the Alerus could be "expanded" is to temporarily replace the student section folding chair seating with bleacher seating - that could add almost 1000 "seats" just by having narrow "butt" width for the students (who have smaller posteriors anyway and often stand anyway). Make the folding seats and bench seating interchangeable for football to concert changeover. Then add risers in the endzones concourses for another 700 to 1000. Include the seating of the suites as part of the capacity, and, voila, more than 15,000 capacity.

Ralph originally wanted the REA to seat 15,000 or more, but was talked out of it. The REA is fine as is, as its size maintains high demand. Because of the Ralph's "limited" size, that allows higher pricing power.

If and when the indoor practice center is constructed, that should create an athletic "Wellness Center", which is the major need of the athletic department.

The venue that is truly undersized is the Betty. Perhaps the Betty could be expanded to the north so the stands are "U" shaped around the court and larger restrooms and concession areas under a north end stands.

The Kibbie Dome is an embarrassment to FBS football, I wouldn't want to put UND in that boat. It's hard enough to get students to come to football games even when the tickets are free, taking away our individual seating and replacing it with a bench would be a terrible ideal. I like the REA, but the fact that it was built in a way that it could never be expanded was a major oversight in my opinion. We are lucky to have the REA and it has no equal, but it would be amazing to see it with 15,000 people in it. Also, higher prices for tickets is not a good thing, it makes it more difficult for people to take their families out to the games and spend quality time together. I get it, we haven't outgrown the Alerus yet, but we will soon and we need to have a plan for when that happens.

The Kibbie Dome is an embarrassment to FBS football, I wouldn't want to put UND in that boat. It's hard enough to get students to come to football games even when the tickets are free, taking away our individual seating and replacing it with a bench would be a terrible ideal. I like the REA, but the fact that it was built in a way that it could never be expanded was a major oversight in my opinion. We are lucky to have the REA and it has no equal, but it would be amazing to see it with 15,000 people in it. Also, higher prices for tickets is not a good thing, it makes it more difficult for people to take their families out to the games and spend quality time together. I get it, we haven't outgrown the Alerus yet, but we will soon and we need to have a plan for when that happens.

The Kibbie Dome and Alerus Center are not even in the same "ballpark" as far as comfort, as the Kibbie Dome is a semi-decrepid wood shed. Most FBS stadiums have bench-type seating, so creature comforts isn't what brings students to a football game. If it was up to the students, they probably not even want the Ralph's cherry and leather seating: as they'd rather stand the whole game.

• Downvote 2

If UND moves football back on campus, the Alerus Center would be perfect for UND Basketball and The Betty is perfect for volleyball (and soccer training space).

</pie-in-the-sky glasses>

A growing cottage industry in Missoula is a certain medicinal herb, complements of the Montana legislature. Could understand Forcier's attraction to that city. :ohmy:

Yeah, another thing we can add to our list of "Montana Infamous History".

Unabomber

Freemen

No Speed Limit Law

Medical Mary Jane

Never a dull moment in Big Sky Country.

Kid is messed up and I wonder how much Daddy "helping" and looking over his shoulder had to do with it. Hope he's getting help with his issues.

As far as where he goes, I don't know if anybody in the upper echelon would take a chance on him, but somebody like San Diego State or U of San Diego might take a flier...the upside could be worth the gamble for someone like that.

As far as Montana, even though the QB spot is wide open they already have Joe's boy from Notre Dame and a couple other guys who looked good in the spring game...I would rather pass on him unless he gets his head and grades in order and his Dad is banned from Missoula.

Kid is messed up and I wonder how much Daddy "helping" and looking over his shoulder had to do with it. Hope he's getting help with his issues.

As far as where he goes, I don't know if anybody in the upper echelon would take a chance on him, but somebody like San Diego State or U of San Diego might take a flier...the upside could be worth the gamble for someone like that.

As far as Montana, even though the QB spot is wide open they already have Joe's boy from Notre Dame and a couple other guys who looked good in the spring game...I would rather pass on him unless he gets his head and grades in order and his Dad is banned from Missoula.

Joe's boy from Notre Dame wasn't even really in the running from what I heard, as an avid Notre Dame fan, let me tell you, he'd be lucky to play at UND

Joe's boy from Notre Dame wasn't even really in the running from what I heard, as an avid Notre Dame fan, let me tell you, he'd be lucky to play at UND

I don't think he will be here at all, there was speculation that he would come back when he lost the starting job at Washington...which he has...but it looks like he will stay there. Sounds like he would have been the 2nd or 3rd QB here too, he wasn't any better than what they already had brought in.

Joe Montana he ain't.

• 1 month later...

Update on Forcier, Hawaii has said no to him because of his academics so he is now down to San Jose State as his last option, and rumblings are they are lukewarm about him at best.

So todays lesson kids is: Academics + Behavior > Any Amount of Talent