SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

You may be a better team right now, but as someone pointed out earlier 3 years is a long way out. Enjoy it while it lasts. Really after seeing how childish moo u supporters are I can care less at this point because our new conference is in a good spot with the demise of the WAC as a football playing conference; meaning the Sky will be the third highest football playing conference in the west. At this point I will take that.

Great, so be happy in the Big Sky. We'll be happy in the MVFC and that's it. We don't need each other and you'll see that in the coming years with scheduling.

So you're saying you do think more people would watch the rivalry game than the FCS title game? You're delusional.

No genius I am saying more people would watch the rivalry since it will be nationwide and not on KVLY. UND=Nationwide. NDSU vs Cupcake U (Wagner, Morgan State, St. Francis) = KVLY. Understand.

• Upvote 1

No genius I am saying more people would watch the rivalry since it will be nationwide and not on KVLY. UND=Nationwide. NDSU vs Cupcake U (Wagner, Morgan State, St. Francis) = KVLY. Understand.

At least we beat the sh$t out of our cupcakes not losing to them! Darell you keep bring up Wagner - Morgan State - St. Farncis, They'll a hell of a lot better than the NAIA and DII teams you guys scheduled.

Exactly. NDSU is considered the better team nationally. Using your own logic, this game is more important to UND. Thanks.

NDSU is a better team right now...yes I agree. But guess what..they will not always be the #1 ranked team in the country. I know right now it is hard for Bison fans to grasp that concept. As we all know, many Bison fans have a short memory. Hey, remember in 2009 when you guys won 3 games? That wasn't 20 years ago. that was 3 years ago! And guess what, the game is scheduled for 3 years from now!! Believe it or not, NDSU could be a 3 win team in 2015!! You can't deny that this is a possiblity because it happened just 3 short years ago!! And guess what, there have been many years where UND has had a better team than NDSU as well!!

• Upvote 1

At least we beat the sh$t out of our cupcakes not losing to them! Darell you keep bring up Wagner - Morgan State - St. Farncis, They'll a hell of a lot better than the NAIA and DII teams you guys scheduled.

You guys never played any non DI teams in transition...got it thanks Dan. BTW I will let NDSU know to erase the Concordia-St. Paul, Arkansas-Monticello, Montana Tech, Carson-Newman games from the gobison.com website and record book.

NDSU is a better team right now...yes I agree. But guess what..they will not always be the #1 ranked team in the country. I know right now it is hard for Bison fans to grasp that concept. As we all know, many Bison fans have a short memory. Hey, remember in 2009 when you guys won 3 games? That wasn't 20 years ago. that was 3 years ago! And guess what, the game is scheduled for 3 years from now!! Believe it or not, NDSU could be a 3 win team in 2015!! You can't deny that this is a possiblity because it happened just 3 short years ago!! And guess what, there have been many years where UND has had a better team than NDSU as well!!

No they won't they will be in the Big 12 in 2015...or is the Big 10. I keep forgetting. Once NDSU goes FBS I bet GT will be calling UND for a game then when UND goes FBS sorry we don't want to play you.

Great, so be happy in the Big Sky. We'll be happy in the MVFC and that's it. We don't need each other and you'll see that in the coming years with scheduling.

When NDSU fans are crying why didn't you schedule UND instead of Sioux Falls or Moorhead State then we can say, yep they were right UND doesn't need NDSU.

When NDSU fans are crying why didn't you schedule UND instead of Sioux Falls or Moorhead State then we can say, yep they were right UND doesn't need NDSU.

I honestly don't even know how to respond to that Darrell. Are you saying that you think NDSU will be scheduling DII and DIII teams like UND did in the coming years?

I honestly don't even know how to respond to that Darrell. Are you saying that you think NDSU will be scheduling DII and DIII teams like UND did in the coming years?

Look what they paid for Prairie View A&M and looked what happened to UNI. When the list runs out you have 2 choices...DII or a 10 game schedule. Which would GT choose?

Look what they paid for Prairie View A&M and looked what happened to UNI. When the list runs out you have 2 choices...DII or a 10 game schedule. Which would GT choose?

When the list runs out?

You guys never played any non DI teams in transition...got it thanks Dan. BTW I will let NDSU know to erase the Concordia-St. Paul, Arkansas-Monticello, Montana Tech, Carson-Newman games from the gobison.com website and record book.

Did we lose To any of those teams Darrel? And the bigger question is are we still playing them? SD Mines!!!! You guys probaby have played the fewest FCS games than anyone transitioning during your transition.

Again, I understand how PR works. But, using your Coke analogy, do you think coke benefits as much from putting out an Ad where they also mention pepsi in the ad?

This used to happen far more often in the PR world, where companies would address their competition by name in their ads. Now they compare themselves in thier ads if they feel the need to, but you'll notice they NEVER mention them by name.

The car insurance industry has been the most notable as of late. You'll see Nationwide or Statefarm run an ad comparing themselves to that "other company" (Geicko)and then use a lizard to signify the Gecko. But they will never actually mention the other company because they realize that by mentioning their competitors in an ad they are paying for eyeballs as you put it.

Dominos is doing the same thing, they show people delivering pizza and it is obvious they are comparing their product to Papa John's and Pizza Hut. But they will never show their competitors logos or say them by name.

Playing UND is the equivalent of Statefarm saying they are better then Geicko in a nationally run ad. Some people just see the Geicko part of it and Statefarm loses some of the advertisements impact.

You don't share the spotlight with a direct competitor and expect it to be a 100% PR gain for you, especially when you can just as easily play a different team and get 100% of the PR.

I'm sorry if you can't grasp this concept.

You do realize that NDSU wouldn't be paying for this PR. They would actually be getting paid for the PR. And getting paid more than if they were playing Podunk U. But that was almost a good example for you.

What is really coming out here is that NDSU fans are worried more about NOT helping UND than they are about helping NDSU. They would much rather try to hurt UND than try to help NDSU. Is that an institutional attitude?

Let me know when you can officially put the National title game on your schedule every year. That is the only time you can compare the PR potential for a rivalry game versus the National title game.

• Upvote 1

USD 29 FCS games....UND 28

UND lost to Sioux Falls.....South Dakota State lost to DIII Wisconsin-Lacrosse. It happens.

Are you still playing them no you are currently lucky. Other teams do have to fill out their schedule and play them like Big Sky teams, MVFC teams including UNI. Don't say it won't happen that you have to play a poor DII team (oh wait that would have meant NDSU would have stopped playing UND when UND was DII) thanks again Dan. Now NDSU fans can't say UND stopped the rivalry because NDSU would have done it a short time later.

You do realize that NDSU wouldn't be paying for this PR. They would actually be getting paid for the PR. And getting paid more than if they were playing Podunk U. But that was almost a good example for you.

What is really coming out here is that NDSU fans are worried more about NOT helping UND than they are about helping NDSU. They would much rather try to hurt UND than try to help NDSU. Is that an institutional attitude?

Let me know when you can officially put the National title game on your schedule every year. That is the only time you can compare the PR potential for a rivalry game versus the National title game.

UND showed what their priority was when they ended the rivalry. You should've been having this same argument with UND fans 10 years ago. They ended the rivalry because it could've potentially hurt their playoff hopes. Why should NDSU be expected to get it going again when losing a home game could potentially hurt our playoff/national championship hopes?

Edit: Just to clarify, I didn't mean we would lose the game at home. I meant we would have one less home game.

USD 29 FCS games....UND 28

UND lost to Sioux Falls.....South Dakota State lost to DIII Wisconsin-Lacrosse. It happens.

Are you still playing them no you are currently lucky. Other teams do have to fill out their schedule and play them like Big Sky teams, MVFC teams including UNI. Don't say it won't happen that you have to play a poor DII team (oh wait that would have meant NDSU would have stopped playing UND when UND was DII) thanks again Dan. Now NDSU fans can't say UND stopped the rivalry because NDSU would have done it a short time later.

That's awesome. You just referred to UND as a poor DII team.

UND showed what their priority was when they ended the rivalry. You should've been having this same argument with UND fans 10 years ago. They ended the rivalry because it could've potentially hurt their playoff hopes. Why should NDSU be expected to get it going again when losing a home game could potentially hurt our playoff/national championship hopes?

But you have played OOC games on the road...what's the difference? Are you saying because you had 1 OOC home game in 2009 you will wind up 3-8 again?

That's awesome. You just referred to UND as a poor DII team.

When you were 10-1 in the FCS during your transition and we were just a "poor DII team". I know NDSU fans wanted the NCAA to overturn the no playoff rule just for them. You were on top the world and we were just in the NCC.

Why would App St., Montana, MT State, Georgia Southern schedule NDSU? They would only be helping them by having them play prestigious programs like that. It will be a bigger game NDSU, they need it more!! They will benifit more from the game! You see how rediculous that sounds when you put the shoe on the other foot??

Why would App St., Montana, MT State, Georgia Southern schedule NDSU? They would only be helping them by having them play prestigious programs like that. It will be a bigger game NDSU, they need it more!! They will benifit more from the game! You see how rediculous that sounds when you put the shoe on the other foot??

NDSU fans wear shoes?

Sounds like someone or a particular fanbase is more scared of the game cause of how it may end up. I get it now after reading pages of this thread, they think its great to chant how UND sucks and its great when your players stand up on a stage and proclaim how this is Bison country and UND sucks, but when it comes time to prove it onthe field, there is no benefit. Talking the talk is easier sometimes I guess.

• Upvote 4

Once again people need to be reminded. UND and NDSU are both out of transition and are both in conferences. Both schools have similar situations. when it comes to scheduling non conference games neither school needs the game more than the other. When it comes to making the playoffs a win or loss in the game affects both schools the same. It would seem that NDSU has a harder time bringing in teams to the Fargodome at the moment because of their very recent success which reflects in the huge amounts of money it costs them to bring a team in. Bottom line the game seems to make sense for the same reasons for both schools.

Edit: Just to clarify, I didn't mean we would lose the game at home. I meant we would have one less home game.

At the time in Division II you didn't get credit for a win that wasn't in Division II. NDSU missed the playoffs one year because they played and beat Montana instead of beating a cream puff Division II school. That was what UND was trying to avoid. In a way it is similar to what UND will face this coming year. FCS schools usually need 7 wins to make the playoffs. But Division II games don't count. So the SD Mines game doesn't count and UND has to win 7 out of 10 games rather than 7 out of 11. UND and NDSU will both be full members of FCS in 2015, so this issue does not exist. Your comparison is apples and frogs. But nice try. Your post just pointed out the worry about losing to UND.

Whether or not the PR is paid for is irrelevant to this discussion. The fact remains that NDSU would be using it's resources to help UND more than it helps NDSU.

Whether or not the PR is paid for is irrelevant to this discussion. The fact remains that NDSU would be using it's resources to help UND more than it helps NDSU.

We get it, you don't care about UND. That is why you have 239 post on a UND sports website and have over 200 posts in the Football category.

We get it, you don't care about UND. That is why you have 239 post on a UND sports website and have over 200 posts in the Football category.

I have never said I don't care about UND, I just don't care to see NDSU play UND at this point. I know the conversation is moving fast here but try to keep up.