SiouxSports.com Forum

Another point of view of the UND vs NCAA

darell1976

I would guess the Geronimo nickname has more to do with how he has evaded capture for a very long time and less with the whole "enemy of the state" thing. Perspective, please.

And not to inject "fact" into the discussion, but Geronimo, Sitting Bull, Chief Joseph, etc. were at times considered enemies of this very same US Govt, and pursued accordingly. It's nice the Senate has no other major issues to consider other than somebody's hurt feelings ...

A Sooner just means someone who got an illegal start on the land claims in Oklahoma yes? I do not see what is controversial about that.

They stole Indian lands ... SOONER ... than it was already allowed by law. :glare:

This is kind of off topic but to an extent it does have some of the same NA issues. Apparently the Indian Affairs Committee is upset with the fact that the government used the code name Geronimo for Bin Laden. I actually laughed when I read the article.

http://news.yahoo.co..._laden_geronimo

Again I am not posting this for any political agenda, just simply pointing out another NA leader/ tribe upset with their names being used. I think this is getting out of hand.

"These inappropriate uses of Native American icons and cultures are prevalent throughout our society, and the impacts to Native and non-Native children are devastating," Tuell said.

"Apparently, having an African-American president in the White House is not enough to overturn the more than 200-year American tradition of treating and thinking of Indians as enemies of the United States," Newcomb wrote.

"It's another attempt to label Native Americans as terrorists," said Paula Antoine of the Rosebud Sioux Tribe in South Dakota.

Gimme a break.

People with the follow names should start protesting immediately:

Arlene

Bret

Cindy

Don

Emily

Franklin

Gert

Harvey

Irene

Jose

Katia

Lee

Maria

Nate

Ophelia

Philippe

Rina

Sean

Tammy

Vince

Whitney

These are the 2011 hurricane names. This could traumatize little kids when they see their name associated with storms that many times take lives.

:silly:

• Upvote 2

People with the follow names should start protesting immediately:

Sean

These are the 2011 hurricane names. This could traumatize little kids when they see their name associated with storms that many times take lives.

:silly:

Whew! S is Sean this year. They missed me again. ;)

Looks like the US Justice Department's antitrust chief is asking the NCAA questions. Interesting.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/318495/group/homepage/

The real interesting thing is why the DoJ is asking the ncaa about something they don't control, the BCS post season, I believe they gave up control to the Bowls many years ago. I don't think the DoJ has done enough research on this and now asking the wrong people questions, typical.