SiouxSports.com Forum

banned on bisonville

huskies679

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to repeat myself, but what about the other 15 sports?

You mean like basketball, wrestling, baseball, etc? Sports in which they'll get throttled on a daily basis? What goober logic--wanting the prestige of a D1-AA program but sucking as a result instead of staying at the D-II level & at least being a contender.

Are the Bison still in Fargo or did they relocate to Bismarck or something? Haven't read about them in awhile & was just wondering.

The Bison will be very competative in wrestling from the start. Basketball will need to be beefed up significantly. The start this season (in BB) has been a bit scary, but with the additional scholarships it will help. I also think that being a D1 BB program will help in the retention of coaches since after probation there will be a chance to make it to March Madness. I suspect if NDSU had not been D2 we probably would not have lost Ray Giacoletti to Eastern Washington. That was truely a set back for a program that was on the rebound. Womens BB and Volleyball will also do fine. So, my feeling is that mens BB is where most the work needs to be done...and we have the probation period to do that.

The bottom line is both NDSU and UND should have kept pace with the Montana schools and moved up when they did. But, then again, our state is not known to move very darn fast on anything.

Basketball will need to be beefed up significantly. The start this season (in BB) has been a bit scary, but with the additional scholarships it will help. I also think that being a D1 BB program will help in the retention of coaches since after probation there will be a chance to make it to March Madness.

By the time the current probationary period expires, members of the current roster will be receiving their applications to AARP in the mail. :) B.S. aside, I think if the basketball probation period is reduced, UND will leave D2 in a New York second.

There has been a huge amount of serious discussion about knocking the probationary period back to 5 years for BB. I think that will happen, and NDSU needs that time to build a BB program that would be decent in D1. I think most NDSU alumni would be more than happy with a team that would be competative in what ever conference home we find and that would make it to the big dance in March on occasion. It is so much more exposure that we could ever get in D2 BB right now. Perhaps if a quality BB program is built there would be some NIT action too. There is a huge amount of committment among Team Makers and other NDSU alum so I think that all this is very much with in reach.

Basketball to me has always been the most compelling reason to consider a move up to D-I. I would take a sixteen seed and a blow-out loss to the likes of Duke, Kansas, Arizona, etc. over an Elite Eight appearance any day. The I-AA football is just a by-product. Football weighs the whole model down like an anchor, having to fund an additional 27 scholarships. Where's the incremental revenue? Sorry if this is all rehash from the last two years, I'm new to the party on this issue.

Here's an interesting article from the Lansing State Journal, dated last spring, that articulates the business case behind D-I basketball, the trickle down of the TV money, etc.

Cash Up For Grabs

I'm the minority here, but if the waiting period indeed is reduced to five years, this becomes a no-brainer. The way I read the article, even a bottom feeder in a mid-major conference ends up with $200-$300K in the coffers from TV. That funds incremental scholarships, travel expenses, etc. The additional alumni giving becomes gravy.

I think with success at the D1AA level in football NDSU will put enough people in the seats to make football a big money maker. NDSU does have to do a lot of work though to enhance the pre-game atmosphere (tailgating) and bring more excitement into the Fargodome. The fans seem to go dead at the Fargodome way too easy. People complain if you are rowdy and loud....which is insane at a Football game. I think the fact that the games being indoors kills a lot of the atmosphere....but this far north playing outside is a catch 22.

Basketball to me has always been the most compelling reason to consider a move up to D-I. I would take a sixteen seed and a blow-out loss to the likes of Duke, Kansas, Arizona, etc. over an Elite Eight appearance any day. The I-AA football is just a by-product. Football weighs the whole model down like an anchor, having to fund an additional 27 scholarships. Where's the incremental revenue? Sorry if this is all rehash from the last two years, I'm new to the party on this issue.

Here's an interesting article from the Lansing State Journal, dated last spring, that articulates the business case behind D-I basketball, the trickle down of the TV money, etc.

Cash Up For Grabs

I'm the minority here, but if the waiting period indeed is reduced to five years, this becomes a no-brainer. The way I read the article, even a bottom feeder in a mid-major conference ends up with $200-$300K in the coffers from TV. That funds incremental scholarships, travel expenses, etc. The additional alumni giving becomes gravy.

here is a link on the proposal to decrease the probationary period

http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/governance...als/2003-13.htm

the big time schools do not want to reduce the probation period and they are the ones who will make this call for the NCAA...as always...the big dogs rule the porch.....Duke, Kansas all of those schools do not want to share the pot with every and any school dreaming of making it to the field of 64...that is the reality or a piece of a bowl game pie either......as far as Ray J. leaving NDSU he left cuz he got ran out of town for recruiting all those juco and D 1 transfers that didnt pan out...am i not correct on that?:)

legend334,

The big dogs don't always rule the porch. They didn't in DII when football scholarships were reduced numerous times. :) They didn't when the NCAA allows a team to play a DI sport with an otherwise DII program and budget. It will come down to a vote and politics.

Or it'll come down to history repeating itself:

A few big dogs will look around and see all the puppies and decide it's time to go to a different porch.

Of course, in this case, those big dogs are the ones who "make rain" for the big TV deals for basketball and football. They'll take those with them wherever they decide to go and the puppies will all be left yippin'.

Or it'll come down to history repeating itself:

A few big dogs will look around and see all the puppies and decide it's time to go to a different porch.

Of course, in this case, those big dogs are the ones who "make rain" for the big TV deals for basketball and football. They'll take those with them wherever they decide to go and the puppies will all be left yippin'.

Does that broad brush paint the hockey landscape, as well? :D

Are you expecting me to speak for superconferences who have officials that have been heard (and put in print) saying things like (paraphrased):

NCAA membership is voluntary. We choose to pay dues. We choose to be a member.

All I can do is sit back and watch how it shakes out.

Who knows what a reshaped landscape would look like (other than the big dogs keeping a bigger share of the TV money for football and basketball. That I'd bet on.).

Are you expecting me to speak for superconferences who have officials that have been heard (and put in print) saying things like (paraphrased):

NCAA membership is voluntary. We choose to pay dues. We choose to be a member.

All I can do is sit back and watch how it shakes out.

Who knows what a reshaped landscape would look like (other than the big dogs keeping a bigger share of the TV money for football and basketball. That I'd bet on.).

I'd be willing to bet the big dogs will keep more of the hockey money, if it's as profitable as stated. Aren't the same superconference powers the ones Sioux fans boast of playing against in hockey?

Jim,

Don't you get the feeling that we "kids" miss the D1aa board talk yet? :huh:

As for the endless bs about not wanting to play NDSU.I have even changed my mind.Not because of the bragging rights but because of the chance of NOT making a play off run.

I don't have the link to the "article" but North Bamma played a D1AA school and it landed them at the Al this weekend. :D

But one never knows maybe NDSU will pony up some big $$$ for UND to play them.And UND won't be able to say no.

Nah, they would never want to pay a little old country D2 school to play against such a D1aa "BIG DOG" would they? :D

Aren't the same superconference powers the ones Sioux fans boast of playing against in hockey?

Yes they are. And in hockey UND is perceived as a peer because of proven performance (in all aspects important to them).

If they leave they'll create their own rules about who and when they'd play in their areas of concern. Do we know what they'd decide? We can speculate. I'd speculate their primary concerns would be football and basketball.

It is possible to have a non-NCAA program at an NCAA school. There's a school in Utah that the mens soccer program plays in a semi-pro league yet the rest of their athletics is NCAA so there is precedent.

Again, you're asking me to speak for superconferences.

All I can do is watch how it unfolds.

I don't have the link to the "article" but North Bamma played a D1AA school and it landed them at the Al this weekend. :D

hate to keep on kicking this around but.. the win over a IAA did not help UNA, but they played a prov D2 school which only gave them two points towards their SSI.. the main reason UNA is at UND. TAMUK played two IAA schools and is hosting this week

ps I don't care if we play anymore just putting the facts up