SiouxSports.com Forum

UPSET CITY!

szavodnik

Being a SIOUX fan, I would LOVE to say that North Dakota has a FOR SURE shoe in to the second round playoffs, but I think we all can remember what happened around this time of year....Anyways...I posted the UMD vs. Union a little while ago to see what people thought about Union taking advantage of a disoriented UMD team at the moment. I know my motives for choosing Union as the team that comes out on top, but lets look at the rest of the field.....Merrimack vs. Notre Dame. I think Merrimack will proceed to the second round playoffs for various reasons....What do you all think? Miami Ohio vs. UNH..Im confident to say that Ohio will come out on top as well...BC vs CC....Originally thinking that BC would have thier way of it, now thinking that CC could really post problems for last years Champions. These are just a few of the contemplations I've had since this bracket came out!! I'd love to hear everyone's two cents on what they think may be possible upsets in this years playoffs!

Being a SIOUX fan, I would LOVE to say that North Dakota has a FOR SURE shoe in to the second round playoffs, but I think we all can remember what happened around this time of year....Anyways...I posted the UMD vs. Union a little while ago to see what people thought about Union taking advantage of a disoriented UMD team at the moment. I know my motives for choosing Union as the team that comes out on top, but lets look at the rest of the field.....Merrimack vs. Notre Dame. I think Merrimack will proceed to the second round playoffs for various reasons....What do you all think? Miami Ohio vs. UNH..Im confident to say that Ohio will come out on top as well...BC vs CC....Originally thinking that BC would have thier way of it, now thinking that CC could really post problems for last years Champions. These are just a few of the contemplations I've had since this bracket came out!! I'd love to hear everyone's two cents on what they think may be possible upsets in this years playoffs!

I like Nebraska Omaha over Michigan

I've got Duluth over Union, Notre Dame over Merrimack, and Omaha over Michigan for the first games this weekend. Then for the second games, I have Duluth over Yale. I think Duluth is good team in a slump and will come back to show how good they are.

I've got Duluth over Union, Notre Dame over Merrimack, and Omaha over Michigan for the first games this weekend. Then for the second games, I have Duluth over Yale. I think Duluth is good team in a slump and will come back to show how good they are.

With Duluth dropping to a #3 seed after losing to Bemidji St., they don't get to ever match up their top line with who they want. To me, that's a big deal for a team that relies so heavily on their top line for scoring. I picked them to get out of their region, only because of the teams they would have to beat is favorable to them.

I picked UNO over Michigan and UNO over Boston College. (the first is more likely). That's probably my heart talking. That and I saw Cam Atkinson's tweet about basically already putting BC in the national championship game and I found that arrogant.

Aside from that, I picked Western Michigan over Denver (Heart talking again). I picked UMD over both Union and Yale.

Those were my picks. That said, I wouldn't be all that surprised if none of that happens. I also won't be disappointed if UMD doesn't get out their regional, if CC beats BC,or if UNH beats Miami in the first round.

With Duluth dropping to a #3 seed after losing to Bemidji St., they don't get to ever match up their top line with who they want. To me, that's a big deal for a team that relies so heavily on their top line for scoring. I picked them to get out of their region, only because of the teams they would have to beat is favorable to them.

It doesn't matter for UMD though, since that line is on the ice every other shift anyway. :)

Brown and Oleksuk provide solid numbers on the second line, so I don't think the Dogs need to worry about not having last change.

As far as other upsets go, I like UNH over Miami, and UNO over Michigan.

New Hampshire has a good chance to beat Miami....I just hope they can score at the pace Miami does. Notre Dame's goaltending is suspect. Whoever makes it out of the Northeast will have a tough time in St. Paul. Miami is due for an early exit one of these years.

(Now I sit back and watch someone copy this post into a forum on April 10th after somebody like Merrimack wins it all).

UM-DULUTH

NOTRE DAME (luke-warm pick)

NORTH DAKOTA

NEBRASKA-OMAHA

UNH has about as much likelihood to beat us as you guys do losing to Denver. Both our sets of boys are on absolute rolls right now, and I don't see any team in our regional getting in either of our ways this weekend. Reichard has been a stud in goal and we haven't lost in over 2 months. You guys get BC in the semis. We get the tourneys best team in Yale :silly:

UNH has about as much likelihood to beat us as you guys do losing to Denver. Both our sets of boys are on absolute rolls right now, and I don't see any team in our regional getting in either of our ways this weekend. Reichard has been a stud in goal and we haven't lost in over 2 months. You guys get BC in the semis. We get the tourneys best team in Yale :silly:

What makes this tourney hard to pick upsets over top seeds this year is all number one seeds are coming in hot having won there conference tourneys. I still believe in hindsight that DU should have been a higher seed than number 7 overall. I think they should have been a five and Michigan a 7. But it is what it is and UND has to beat DU again.

first round winners:

Yale

UMD

Irish

Miami

Sioux

Western Michigan

UNO

BC

Second Round winners:

Yale

Irish

Sioux

UNO

Semis:

Irish

Sioux

Champions:

SIOUX

Good call....considering game is in 2nd intermission and UMD is winning. ;) Even though it's only 1-0

What makes this tourney hard to pick upsets over top seeds this year is all number one seeds are coming in hot having won there conference tourneys. I still believe in hindsight that DU should have been a higher seed than number 7 overall. I think they should have been a five and Michigan a 7. But it is what it is and UND has to beat DU again.

I still doubt that Yale will make it out of the East, even though that is by far the weakest regional. Then again, I figured Duluth would put up more than 2 on Union. Find out tomorrow.