SiouxSports.com Forum

WDAZ and GF Herald...

Let'sGoHawks!

I am seeing more and more stories from these media outlets coming AFTER I see a post here on siouxsports.com. They have gone as far as quoting posters on the messageboard. The latest WDAZ "SCOOP" was the Gaddafi rebel wearing the Sioux shirt, which was old news to me, since I read the story this morning. The Williams and Ree story was also posted on siouxsports.com first, with a GF Herald story coming later.

Thanks to all of the fine members of this site, these guys have a much easier job. And to all of the WDAZ and GF Herald people reading this right now, instead of lurking, why don't you register, say hi, or maybe offer a kind "thank you" to the posters on this site?

I am seeing more and more stories from these media outlets coming AFTER I see a post here on siouxsports.com. They have gone as far as quoting posters on the messageboard. The latest WDAZ "SCOOP" was the Gaddafi rebel wearing the Sioux shirt, which was old news to me, since I read the story this morning. The Williams and Ree story was also posted on siouxsports.com first, with a GF Herald story coming later.

Thanks to all of the fine members of this site, these guys have a much easier job. And to all of the WDAZ and GF Herald people reading this right now, instead of lurking, why don't you register, say hi, or maybe offer a kind "thank you" to the posters on this site?

I've noticed the same thing lately... many times. :silly:

I used to complain a lot about this sort of thing (e.g. "Dear Mr. McFeely") but decided it's just a cultural difference.

Traditional media tend not to acknowledge competitors or their scoops. When WDAZ sees something interesting in the Herald, they don't feel the need to say "we saw in the Herald...". Instead they run out and try to duplicate the story, feeling freely entitled to report on the same facts as the Herald did, without attribution to the idea having come from the Herald. It makes sense if you think of them as competitors.

On a lot of Internet communications, the culture is to give credit to where you discovered something. If one of us saw an interesting link on GPL, we wouldn't just come post it here with our own commentary, we'd repost it and say "saw this on GPL". People don't take the game lines and post them without attribution, they post "from Brad's blog" or "from UND's Twitter". You don't just copy interesting links from other people tweets and tweet them with your own headline, you RT them.

Since the Herald and WDAZ stories appear online, it's a little jarring when they don't follow online social conventions, but those stories are written for the traditional media. When guys like Brad write posts for their blogs or Twitter, they do a lot more linking and acknowledging of sources.

I am not.

I'm Virg Foss. ;):D

Just as this occurs in GF's, it occurs in Fargo with Bisonville. Knowing that, assuming it happens everywhere is not that far of a stretch. I think of it as the media relying on the collective intelligence and or knowledge of the biggest fans of a given team. Not that bad of an idea for a source or a story when your investigative or other resources are somewhat limited, but there is little chance of the media giving credit for this type of a source or story--they just are not going to acknowledge that, at least for the time being. The good thing is, I don't need to buy the Herald or the Forum just to read the sports sections, and the other "news" contained in other sections is really history from the day before that one can obtain, for the most part, by watching the world and local nightly news broadcasts.

What's interesting is that I saw the story on the Herald's site linked over to 'daz. I posted it on SayAnythingBlog, sourcing WDAZ, not knowing it probably started out here.

I'm not surprised that reporters are doing more research out on the blogs. With the cutbacks they have they aren't out on the streets very often anymore. It's got to be a lot more efficient getting your story ideas off of the net.

There is so much more information out there now that 5-10 years ago, that a news agency can't be covering everything everywhere at all times. I would think that monitoring the message boards and blogs would be wise way to find information and evaluate peoples opinions, alhouigh anonymous opinions can be somewhat dubious.

I know that I have posted some obscure stories that eventually wound up on the Herald's site, but then again I post a lot of "uninteresting things", also. :D

I am an employee of the GFH and an avid follower of siouxsports.com. My question is, how many more people are on SS.com at any given time then in the newsroom at GFH or DAZ? It's a huge difference. We are all doing our daily jobs and for us to stumble upon a link the the one in the Libya would take us away from doing our work. The post of the Sioux sweatshirt in Libya was from a person who had the time to surf the net and happend to stumble upon it at CNN.com. Once a reporter got wind of it, it was put on DAZ's website. It's unreasonable to think that every bit of news that we find is found from inside the newsroom. If it weren't for the internet and things of the like, it would be impossible for the GFH and DAZ to survive.

Also, when it comes to the Williams and Ree story and many others that make it into the paper and onto our website, our reporters check facts, get quotes, re-check facts, then write the story. Reading something on a message board and the slapping it on the web for all to see does not constitute good journalism. So, maybe yes I am being a bit of a homer for my place of work, but lay off the finger pointing and bedroom journalism.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am an employee of the GFH and an avid follower of siouxsports.com. My question is, how many more people are on SS.com at any given time then in the newsroom at GFH or DAZ? It's a huge difference. We are all doing our daily jobs and for us to stumble upon a link the the one in the Libya would take us away from doing our work. The post of the Sioux sweatshirt in Libya was from a person who had the time to surf the net and happend to stumble upon it at CNN.com. Once a reporter got wind of it, it was put on DAZ's website. It's unreasonable to think that every bit of news that we find is found from inside the newsroom. If it weren't for the internet and things of the like, it would be impossible for the GFH and DAZ to survive.

Also, when it comes to the Williams and Ree story and many others that make it into the paper and onto our website, our reporters check facts, get quotes, re-check facts, then write the story. Reading something on a message board and the slapping it on the web for all to see does not constitute good journalism. So, maybe yes I am being a bit of a homer for my place of work, but lay off the finger pointing and bedroom journalism.

hide.gifhide.gifGheesh, I don't think that is what the OP meant. What he meant is that local media obviously gets some possible story source from forums like this, not that you guys just cut-n-paste--Easy, Easy!!!

hide.gifhide.gifGheesh, I don't think that is what the OP meant. What he meant is that local media obviously gets some possible story source from forums like this, not that you guys just cut-n-paste--Easy, Easy!!!

Just a little frustration with the blogosphere and things like that coming to the forefront. I just get frustrated sometimes with people throwing stuff on a blog and it being taken as good journalism. I worked very hard for a long time to get where I am and crappy blogs that lack research and facts just get under my skin. Sorry. I'm on a six-day Sioux hockey-less streak and I need it quenched haha. This coupled with a cold makes for one disgruntled poster ha :lol:

Just a little frustration with the blogosphere and things like that coming to the forefront. I just get frustrated sometimes with people throwing stuff on a blog and it being taken as good journalism. I worked very hard for a long time to get where I am and crappy blogs that lack research and facts just get under my skin. Sorry. I'm on a six-day Sioux hockey-less streak and I need it quenched haha. This coupled with a cold makes for one disgruntled poster ha :lol:

Half of my blogging seems to be on uncovering factual errors put out by the GF Herald. When I email the facts to the reporter I might get a response but never a correction.