SiouxSports.com Forum

Gopher fans searching for "Savior"

sprig

I don't see Minnesota as having the same situation as we had last season. When Weber left, Lucia didn't have time to bring in another goalie who could fill in or start. Most teams tend to carry three on their rosters, and sit one routinely, so I see Lucia as bringing in another recruit for next season to probably backup Briggs, who I think is the better of the two starters right now. I believe Smeija is similar to Sofie in that he's primarily around for practice and doesn't take any scholarship $$$.

That said, our goaltending situation was pretty f'ed up last season on a number of levels, and I'm glad it's settled down to two pretty reliable starters with Ziggy in the wings.

I don't see Minnesota as having the same situation as we had last season.

Neither do I, but it was hiliarious to see "savior" and "another goalie" in the same post. :silly:

Appears, anyway, that they need someone to kick some forwards butts to get them back into their own end occasionally. Probably still playing like they did in the championship game when UNH sent only one forward at a time into the MN end. No need for forwards to bother with defense the way UNH played.

*gasp* I am agreeing w/ ScottM!

Trying to compare our goalie situ to yours last year is laughable...when a goalie leaves you with your jock around your ankles, you need a good third goalie, Smenja was nothing ever but a prctice goalie and everyone knows that. So to compare the Gophers looking to have a quality third tender, that will prolly not see the ice (unlike the 3rd or 4th goalie at UND), is completely ludicris.

WPoS

WARNING: consider this source.

Dubay said yesterday on the radio that Hairdo Lucia is bringing in a goalie at Christmas.

And just for fun, cruise over to POI and read all the rats leaping off a sinking ship. OMG what a bunch of fair-weather fans.

*gasp* I am agreeing w/ ScottM!

Trying to compare our goalie situ to yours last year is laughable...when a goalie leaves you with your jock around your ankles, you need a good third goalie, Smenja was nothing ever but a prctice goalie and everyone knows that. So to compare the Gophers looking to have a quality third tender, that will prolly not see the ice (unlike the 3rd or 4th goalie at UND), is completely ludicris.

WPoS

Maybe but I'll tell you where I do get some satisfaction.

Several gopher fans were very vocal early in the season about how MN didn't have goaltending problems and the Sioux still do. Some of them are the same ones who would rip on Blais for pulling goalies during games last year, etc.

Don't hear much from them these days.

WARNING: consider this source.

Dubay said yesterday on the radio that Hairdo Lucia is bringing in a goalie at Christmas.

And just for fun, cruise over to POI and read all the rats leaping off a sinking ship. OMG what a bunch of fair-weather fans.

rats leaping off a sinking ship? Where? What threads you reading over on POI? I think your green glasses have colored your vision. What I see is a bunch of frustration, and dissapointment, not anyone leaving their Gopher Fandom behind to go chase after any other team..every die hard fan on POI is pretty much saying the same thing "wait". So go clean your glasses and open your eyes... :silly:???

WPoS

Maybe but I'll tell you where I do get some satisfaction.

Several gopher fans were very vocal early in the season about how MN didn't have goaltending problems and the Sioux still do. Some of them are the same ones who would rip on Blais for pulling goalies during games last year, etc.

Don't hear much from them these days.

thing is dagies, that was BEFORE Web dropped out! I have been for Briggs as soon as Web dropped...so the whole comparison is still silly.

WPoS

thing is dagies, that was BEFORE Web dropped out! I have been for Briggs as soon as Web dropped...so the whole comparison is still silly.

WPoS

I seem to remember Gopher fans saying Johnson led them through the Final Five, so he was better than Brandt. And then Parise was only hear because of his brother, he really wasn't that good, Briggs was better. This was after Weber left.

I seem to remember Gopher fans saying Johnson led them through the Final Five, so he was better than Brandt. And then Parise was only hear because of his brother, he really wasn't that good, Briggs was better. This was after Weber left.

I have always stated both here and on POI that Briggs would be our guy after Web left...JJ reminds me of Calinan too much, great save then lets in a softy form the blue line...

WPoS