SiouxSports.com Forum

Final 5 information/suggestions

CMSioux

We've stayed at the Hilton Garden more often than not (only stayed elsewhere three different years) and I think it's the best. You can walk via the skywalk to the X, it's close to everything game/party related, the rooms are fine-fridge and microwave, and they have ample parking. The one time we stayed at the Holiday Inn, they ran out of hot water, parking is not sufficient for the number of rooms, no fridge or microwave and a drunk fan from a rival team tried to start a fight with my kid. We stayed at the Crown Plaza, too expensive for me but everything else close to the X was booked that year. Holiday Inn at Bandanna (?) was a short drive away but the traffic was a beast before and after the games. There are lots of hotels near MOA but I'm not into shopping during the F5 and, again, would have to drive to the games.

Which one of your kids got into a fight? Were we there also? I do not remember that. Where are you staying this year, we have not made reservations yet. Where are you staying for the Frozen Four?

Which one of your kids got into a fight? Were we there also? I do not remember that. Where are you staying this year, we have not made reservations yet. Where are you staying for the Frozen Four?

Yes, you were there. Ben and I were waiting for the elevator, a drunk goopher fan started talking smack to us, Ben asked if he could take the guy out, I said yes just as the elevator doors opened and I pushed him in. I saved a life and kept my kid out of jail that day.

We're staying at the Hilton Gardens for both the F5 and the F4. I made our reservations last summer. Get on the ball there, Mr. Procrastinator! Make your reservations!!

Yes, you were there. Ben and I were waiting for the elevator, a drunk goopher fan started talking smack to us, Ben asked if he could take the guy out, I said yes just as the elevator doors opened and I pushed him in. I saved a life and kept my kid out of jail that day.

We're staying at the Hilton Gardens for both the F5 and the F4. I made our reservations last summer. Get on the ball there, Mr. Procrastinator! Make your reservations!!

And by the way, my fish is bigger than your fish!! :D

Two questions: One is it better to stay in downtown St. Paul for the Five and why? Second where to eat around the X?

Personally, I like staying downtown because 1) you don't have to drive anywhere/find parking, 2) everything that's going on around the games (Pre and Post game get togethers, getting together with old and new friends, etc.) is downtown and you don't have to drive anywhere, 3) if you have too much to drink, you don't have to drive anywhere, 4) the atmosphere of the whole Final Five event is all over

the downtown area which contributes to the fun, 5) you get to meet nice people from different fan bases and can actually stop and visit without having to worrying about 'beating the traffic, 6) people with younger children can let them chill in the pool or room right up to game time, 7) ......there's more but I have to get ready for work.

Personally, I like staying downtown because 1) you don't have to drive anywhere/find parking, 2) everything that's going on around the games (Pre and Post game get togethers, getting together with old and new friends, etc.) is downtown and you don't have to drive anywhere, 3) if you have too much to drink, you don't have to drive anywhere, 4) the atmosphere of the whole Final Five event is all over

the downtown area which contributes to the fun, 5) you get to meet nice people from different fan bases and can actually stop and visit without having to worrying about 'beating the traffic, 6) people with younger children can let them chill in the pool or room right up to game time, 7) ......there's more but I have to get ready for work.

Thanks. This does make lots of sense. If I stayed downtown where can I find good Mexican food?

Good points, you don't have to worry about D.D.'s and you don't have to worry about finding parking. Last season I parked my car on Thursday in the lot and didn't drive it till I went home on Sunday. The area around the Xcel has awesome bars and places to eat.

Good points, you don't have to worry about D.D.'s and you don't have to worry about finding parking. Last season I parked my car on Thursday in the lot and didn't drive it till I went home on Sunday. The area around the Xcel has awesome bars and places to eat.

There's family stuff, too. The Science Museum is right across the street from the Xcel and would be a great Saturday outing for folks not planning to catch the Wild game.

There's family stuff, too. The Science Museum is right across the street from the Xcel and would be a great Saturday outing for folks not planning to catch the Wild game.

Donn actually went to that one year while we are down there... Not my cup of tea...

Donn actually went to that one year while we are down there... Not my cup of tea...

Lol. Perhaps other people might find it their cup of tea? :lol: Did he go by himself? In a van, with candy?

I wonder what it's going to be like this year. It's going to be a heck of a lot more stressful! Nobody is guaranteed to see their team more than once, not even the top seeds. That's my biggest pet peeve. I enjoyed those guaranteed games and I am sure many out-of-towners did, too.

I have ZERO interest in going to the Wild game. I wonder how many WCHA fans will take that opportunity? If Toews or Parise or someone was in town to play the Wild....then I'd probably go.

Thanks. This does make lots of sense. If I stayed downtown where can I find good Mexican food?

Likely nowhere downtown, but just south of the river in downtown is South Saint Paul, West Saint Paul, and Caesar Chavez Boulevard. Great authentic Mexican cuisine at any number of places. The Boca Chica perhaps being the most well known.

Likely nowhere downtown, but just south of the river in downtown is South Saint Paul, West Saint Paul, and Caesar Chavez Boulevard. Great authentic Mexican cuisine at any number of places. The Boca Chica perhaps being the most well known.

This is like a little latin america, love the area.

Lol. Perhaps other people might find it their cup of tea? :lol: Did he go by himself? In a van, with candy?

I wonder what it's going to be like this year. It's going to be a heck of a lot more stressful! Nobody is guaranteed to see their team more than once, not even the top seeds. That's my biggest pet peeve. I enjoyed those guaranteed games and I am sure many out-of-towners did, too.

Yeah, I was never a huge proponent of the 3rd place game until I started to understand Pairwise a little better...Most teams treated it as their last chance to beat a quality team before the NCAA's...(try to go into the big dance on a positive note or improve their seeding) I remember Lucia whining that the game was meaningless and his teams played accordingly...:)

I have ZERO interest in going to the Wild game. I wonder how many WCHA fans will take that opportunity? If Toews or Parise or someone was in town to play the Wild....then I'd probably go.

Me and my old college buddy from Fargo are going to all five tournament games, the Wild vs. Blue Jackets game on Saturday afternoon and the Wild vs. Canadiens game Sunday evening. That's seven hockey games in four days! :ohmy:

Might be a good day for a Keg Party and fan Mixer down by the Xcel somewhere...

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know how the seeding will work for the Final Five this year? If the Sioux make it will they play the Friday afternoon or night game? Is the Minnesota rule still in place? I cannot find any information on this and I am looking at purchasing single game tickets this year.