SiouxSports.com Forum

Control of the Old Ralph

GeauxSioux

Another bill from the wacky world of the ND legislature...

The board also discussed a number of other issues it will face in the Legislature, including:

A bill that would give the director of UND’s Energy Environmental Research Center veto power over any use of the old Ralph Engelstad Arena. That is, UND’s president would have to get permission from his own subordinate. Reps. Mark Owens, R-Grand Forks, and Lonny Winrich, D-Grand Forks, are co-sponsors.

Board members were shocked by the move.

Board member Duaine Espegard, a former state senator from Grand Forks, called it “unconstitutional” because lawmakers were usurping authority from both the board and from the university president.

The board agreed to oppose the legislation, but stopped short of Espegard’s proposal to require that the EERC director also oppose the legislation.

The older I get the more I can't believe the things elected officials come up with.

This is just another example of the wackey ego of Gerry Groenewold at work.

He goes to bed every night hoping, praying, that some day he can claim he tore down something with Ralph's name on it. That'd make him a demi-god amongst his circle of friends.

But the rest of us will remember his recent run-ins with the law involving (a) the Manvel Fire Department and (b) allogations of spousal abuse.

This is hands down the most idiotic piece of legislation to come out of Bismarck in quite some time.....................................

I hope they also give my employees the authority to overrule me........................

Where's a good old Sioux-Bison football bill when you need one.................... :silly:

Hi, Devil's Advocate here....

Something to consider... UND has the premier energy and environmental research facility in the world. This research facility brings in contracts from everywhere, and makes a lot of money for the university. This facility would like to expand to the currently unoccupied area of campus adjacent to the facility. Expansion has been limited and held up over debate on who is going to get control of the area currently inhabited by the old Ralph. Something in the future here is not going to make sense...people want the practice facility and a new football stadium on that location, and that's understandable. It would be a great location for a new stadium/indoor facility. If that happens, where is the EERC going to expand to? A satellite facility in another location? Not an great option...The EERC could be completely relocated, in theory, to another location, but that's not going to happen. Especially not with the new carbon research facility just having been completed.

While I agree that Gerry and the EERC should not have 'veto power' over what happens on that land, they should have some serious input. The impact of the EERC cannot be understated here, and any personal feelings or judgements toward Gerry should not have any bearing on the matter either. Personally I would be in favor of giving the land to the EERC, but I see a very sticky situation that is going to require some serious logistical maneuvering by President Kelly to keep everyone happy.

UND has the premier energy and environmental research facility in the world.

That's perhaps stretching it a bit. If they really want to expand, why not move out of town? Their limited interaction with other university departments doesn't require them to be on campus, whereas student activities like sports are best placed near the students. I seem to recall them adding the "Environmental" to their name after a flap about burning PCBs in town, once others in the scientific community came forward about the dangers of burning chlorinated phenols in the middle of a city. Plus, if they stay in town, expansion capability will always be limited, especially considering the equipment and space much of their competition already have available to them.

Why not expand EERC to the ... EAST!

They already have authority and control over that space. There were plans drawn at one time for EERC to use that space. Why not?

Isn't their a huge city water tank under that open lot to the east? I thought I remember that being reported years ago as part of news articles about building a new Water Treatment plant in Grand Forks. The point being: how much development could take place on that land, and what kind of development could take place, if there is a water tank underneath? Again, I don't know if that is the case. Someone from the Public Works might know.

That's perhaps stretching it a bit. If they really want to expand, why not move out of town? Their limited interaction with other university departments doesn't require them to be on campus, whereas student activities like sports are best placed near the students. I seem to recall them adding the "Environmental" to their name after a flap about burning PCBs in town, once others in the scientific community came forward about the dangers of burning chlorinated phenols in the middle of a city. Plus, if they stay in town, expansion capability will always be limited, especially considering the equipment and space much of their competition already have available to them.

[my best PA announcer-guy voice]

... johndahl, unassisted, at 10:25, ... that's johndahl, all alone, at ten twenty-five ...

[/my best PA announcer-guy voice]

And one more thing about that bolded portion: When Dr. Kelley first came into 300 Twamley he made a statement about how he expected more collaboration between all UND entities (especially the big three: EERC, Med, Aero). Gerry G. publicly skoffed at the notion. Not a great start. And it seems that Gerry (still?) thinks he's bigger than UND as a whole as he hasn't come out against this.

Closing thought: Do we really want all the NDUS campuses micromanaged at this level from the Legislature?

Hi, Devil's Advocate here....

Something to consider... UND has the premier energy and environmental research facility in the world. This research facility brings in contracts from everywhere, and makes a lot of money for the university. This facility would like to expand to the currently unoccupied area of campus adjacent to the facility. Expansion has been limited and held up over debate on who is going to get control of the area currently inhabited by the old Ralph. Something in the future here is not going to make sense...people want the practice facility and a new football stadium on that location, and that's understandable. It would be a great location for a new stadium/indoor facility. If that happens, where is the EERC going to expand to? A satellite facility in another location? Not an great option...The EERC could be completely relocated, in theory, to another location, but that's not going to happen. Especially not with the new carbon research facility just having been completed.

While I agree that Gerry and the EERC should not have 'veto power' over what happens on that land, they should have some serious input. The impact of the EERC cannot be understated here, and any personal feelings or judgements toward Gerry should not have any bearing on the matter either. Personally I would be in favor of giving the land to the EERC, but I see a very sticky situation that is going to require some serious logistical maneuvering by President Kelly to keep everyone happy.

Gerry is just blowing smoke up some legislators a**, and everybody looks like clowns listening to him.

Dyke Avenue to the east is essentially all light industrial, with many buildings in decay. That's the perfect area for expansion and revitalizing.

This is just another example of the wacky ego of Gerry Groenewold at work. The representatives didn't come up with this on their own.

Totally agree!! No way a legislator from Tioga or Dickinson know the first thing about this plot of land without someone (Gerry G.) influencing whats going on. Gerry G. believes he's the best thing for UND, regardless of what Dr. Kelley and the Mr. Goetz think. For him to say he knew nothing about this bill is ludicrous.

Really?

Gerry G. had, at one time, planned to put a technology commercialization center on that site.

I honestly don't know. I vaguely recall hearing that years ago. Just seems odd that that open lot has sat vacant for so long. No development of any kind what so ever. It would be interesting to know if it is zoned as University Development, or Industrial or residential.