SiouxSports.com Forum

Game 2 thread

sprig

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great game for the boys. Way to stick with it and come from behind. Great job of preventing MN's 3rd goal from giving them life. Fantastic 3rd period. Matt Jones is a STUD!!!! Great weekend by many others too. Zach may not have had a point tonight (he might have too, I honestly don't know), but his presence on the ice was definitely felt. He hustled his ass off. Also very impressive games by Fylling, Prpich, McMahon, and Brady Murray, another guy who busted his behind. No prima donnas for the Sioux so far, which is always the key to success in hockey it seems. Jordan I think had a pretty good game too. 3rd goal is one I'm sure he'd like a second chance on, but I'm really impressed by his poise. Doesn't seem to get rattled and keeps his head in the game.

REALITY CHECK - It's really early. MN fans should take heart in the fact that once they get their top two D back, they will be better. They will also get better as the year goes on. I for one will not count them out until they have been eliminated (mathematically for the WCHA race, and literally from the NCAA tournament). They still have a ton of talent on their team. That being said, they are nothing but scum and I would like nothing better than to climb over the glass into their bench and get in as many as I could before getting killed. I hate that team in a way that cannot be described in words. It is beyond me how anyone can find them otherwise.

ANYWAY (rant over, living in yellow verminville is slowly eroding my never very secure hold on sanity), caught the govs in the post-game show w/ Scott Hennen. Hoeven should have been a lot more deprecating IMHO. Pawlenty definitely looked like he was gritting his teeth through the whole thing, but was a pretty good sport. If his "the REA is a fantastic venue, but not as nice as the John" comment was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, he wasn't very convincing.

Matt Jones is a STUD!!!! 

Some defensive weekend for the team. Jones and Greene were super defensively. Almost lost in the good defensive play was the scoring by the two.

52102410200.jpg

Nice shot. A good photo of the less than stellar defensive play by the Gophs. Seems that some Gopher might have wanted to get to that puck rather than let Jones skate down low and shoot from that close. I love it when the Gophs play D like this :silly:

You know, I truly think Parise proved this weekend just how much better than he is than Vanek. Getting mugged at every turn and still putting up points.

He gets in the nitty gritty all the time while Vanek tries to work the finesse. True, that's European in style of play, but if he plays like this, Vanek is going to have an NHL career plagued by poor performances based on the fact that the NHL is getting more physical. If he can't get in the play, he won't be on the ice much.

I have no doubt Vanek is good, but this was a big series and he got out performed by players who were drafted later than he was.

As much as I would like to knock Vanek, you don't determine who is a better player based on one big weekend. Remember, Parise didn't exactly light it up in the playoffs while Vanek was rolling and before this weekend, Bochenski was a non-factor in the rivalry. That said, I think Parise had more focus put on him by other teams and Bochenski, well, he is one of the most pure goal scorers I've seen at UND. I think you can definitely say Parise puts forth a more consistent effort than Vanek, the Randy Moss of college hockey.

As much as I would like to knock Vanek, you don't determine who is a better player based on one big weekend.

Agreed. Vanek is a very good and dangerous player. However, like anybody else if you take him out of his game, like Prpich and Greene did most of the weekend, he looks pretty ordinary. That said, I think he played more one dimensional hockey than I have seen since last season, and he got very frustrated at times too.

I think Zach has matured mentally and physically and is able to fight through the muggings better than last season. Moreover, Money and Murray are also dangerous so if you put too many guys on Zach, the other two can make you pay. And vice versa. That additional support is something that Vanek was missing for the most part, and shutting him down pretty much quieted his linemates too.

Agreed. Vanek is a very good and dangerous player. However, like anybody else if you take him out of his game, like Prpich and Greene did most of the weekend, he looks pretty ordinary. That said, I think he played more one dimensional hockey than I have seen since last season, and he got very frustrated at times too.

I think Zach has matured mentally and physically and is able to fight through the muggings better than last season. Moreover, Money and Murray are also dangerous so if you put too many guys on Zach, the other two can make you pay. And vice versa. That additional support is something that Vanek was missing for the most part, and shutting him down pretty much quieted his linemates too.

Vanek is a fantastic player, no question. I have never seen a college player, let alone a freshmen, have a month like he had at the end of last season, but the fact remains he has a tendency to take shifts off and loaf.

He certainly has done nothing in his career against UND. Perhaps he is intimidated by the Sioux! :silly: I am kidding Gopher fans, calm down. I do think though that by Saturday night MG was firmly in his head.

As for Parise although he is not scoring like he did last year he has been much more valuable to the team. The attention he has received has opened up the ice for Money and Lightning. And he has seemed to elevate his game, which is quite impressive.

As for Murray has he exceeded expectations or is he simply living up to the hype?

Hey guys, just wanted to say congrats on a well earned sweep. I could not watch Saturday's game so I've kept me yap shut.

I sincerely hope the Gophers noticed how the Sioux played the game with desire and intensity this weekend (at least Friday) and learn by example. Here is hoping our series in January has something more on the line other than pride. :silly:

Hey guys, just wanted to say congrats on a well earned sweep. I could not watch Saturday's game so I've kept me yap shut.

I sincerely hope the Gophers noticed how the Sioux played the game with desire and intensity this weekend (at least Friday) and learn by example. Here is hoping our series in January has something more on the line other than pride. :silly:

I must agree with GE's general comments, I was unable to actually watch the games, so I am at a loss as to what happened, beyond your boys outplayed ours...I look forward to a better showing by the Gophers in Janruary.

WPoS

I don't think there was an AR there. The tape replay (and from what I remember at the game) just shows Schmitt happened to be right next to them, and when he put out an arm to separate Lundblom and Hirsch he just whipped himself away. I don't know that he actually hit Schmitt, but it was a rather violent gesture and I would assume there were some choice words that went along with it. No reason for a suspension.