SiouxSports.com Forum

Taylor Dickin

Wilbur

I read on Brad's blog that this guy is joining the team after semester one comes to an end. Does anyone have any info about why the sioux are adding this kid to the roster? Being the MJHL MVP is pretty impressive.

I have a feeling that someone is going to come into this thread and put me to shame that we've all heard of this guy, and we all knew that he was coming in and would dress against Duluth in the HoF game... :blush: Please, take it easy on me..... ;)

He committed last fall around the time Taylor Holst first committed, then failed to get through the NCAA clearinghouse. He had something like 22 points as a 19 year old in the MJHL, so he must be a late bloomer. Having never seen him play, I wonder if he may have a Davidson-like college career (Brent, not Lee ... though Lee would be nice). One fact that isn't speculation: he attended Toronto's summer prospect camp this year as an undrafted free agent.

I read on Brad's blog that this guy is joining the team after semester one comes to an end. Does anyone have any info about why the sioux are adding this kid to the roster? Being the MJHL MVP is pretty impressive.

I have a feeling that someone is going to come into this thread and put me to shame that we've all heard of this guy, and we all knew that he was coming in and would dress against Duluth in the HoF game... :blush: Please, take it easy on me..... ;)

I knew he was coming, and the MJHL MVP thing, but nobody has speculated whether or not he is supposed to make an impact. Anybody out there have any insights, opinions, or ANYTHING on this player?

I knew he was coming, and the MJHL MVP thing, but nobody has speculated whether or not he is supposed to make an impact. Anybody out there have any insights, opinions, or ANYTHING on this player?

The talk back in July when he first committed was that he would probably start as a 3rd line type player, but had enough talent that he could become more. I believe that he is a tough, 2 way player that is much like so many of the Fighting Sioux players coming out of the western junior leagues. Probably not going to be a scoring leader, but has a chance to be a solid contributor.

You would think that they would bring him in next year so he wouldn't lose an entire year of eligibility. But I guess that his age puts him in a situation of sooner rather than later. Hopefully he's a good fit, and can fill in with Lamoureax on the third or fourth line.

He may have been recruited as a depth player like Davidson, but I'm sure he is thinking if he gets his chance he plans on making something of it. I know that Davidson was compared to Dustin Penner before he came here just as an observation of his size and perceived upside, but there are circumstances where guys do come in and get their chance and never look back. Hopefully he is one of those players, although they are few and far between. The fact that I haven't heard comments from the coaches or players about how this guy is amazing in practice like you heard about guys like Lee Goren or Jason Blake, leads me to believe he will be a depth player, and that is needed on every team as well. Players that accept and fill certain roles are what championship teams are made from.

He may have been recruited as a depth player like Davidson, but I'm sure he is thinking if he gets his chance he plans on making something of it. I know that Davidson was compared to Dustin Penner before he came here just as an observation of his size and perceived upside, but there are circumstances where guys do come in and get their chance and never look back. Hopefully he is one of those players, although they are few and far between. The fact that I haven't heard comments from the coaches or players about how this guy is amazing in practice like you heard about guys like Lee Goren or Jason Blake, leads me to believe he will be a depth player, and that is needed on every team as well. Players that accept and fill certain roles are what championship teams are made from.

Technically, he wasn't on the team in the fall semester, right? What are they supposed to say about a guy that isn't technically on the team?

Is this one of those signing situations? The coaches can't say anything about the player until he signs with the team. And if he's a recruited walk-on, maybe there are other factors that come into play for the coaches/players not being able to comment.

I have no idea, just speculating.