SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Basketball Traveler's Classic

bincitysioux

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

USD Coyotes lost today to Wisconsin by 15. You cannot compare scores, but UND lost to Wisconsin by over 30 and it could have been worse. Obviously USD has come farther than the Sioux on the MBB scene the last two years.

It looks to me like you are comparing scores. I wouldn't say South Dakota has come farther because they have been ahead of us for years. We'll see when we play them if the Sioux have made any progress in cutting that gap. I think the basketball program is where the football program is at this point. They have a year or two with the young players, then the expectation for major improvement will definitely be there.

A couple of notes from the game.

UND led the entire game. EMU tied it up twice but the Sioux never let them pull-ahead.

UND was led by Troy Huff with 11 points and Patrick Mitchell with 10. They were the only 2 to hit double figures.

The guys only shot 29.8% from the field.

The Sioux were 21 of 26 in free throws in the 2nd half! It was hitting them down the stretch that won us the game.

Monmouth beat EMU with a last second three to win 64-63 on Friday night. Idaho just beat Monmouth 69-66 but Monmouth was nailing every 3 they threw up in the last 5 minutes of the game to make it a close one at the end.

Hopefully the Sioux can heat up from the field, as both games at the tourney they have shot in the 20's. Also, they only had 6 assists as a team last night, which is pretty sad. But, they held on to win the game, and didn't let EMU get back into it. Good win guys!

It looks to me like you are comparing scores. I wouldn't say South Dakota has come farther because they have been ahead of us for years. We'll see when we play them if the Sioux have made any progress in cutting that gap. I think the basketball program is where the football program is at this point. They have a year or two with the young players, then the expectation for major improvement will definitely be there.

Agree with statement that USD was already ahead of us. Also believe that basketball is a sport where improvement can be made more quickly than a sport like football. 1 or 2 impact basketball players can turn average into very good in a year. I don't believe that can be done in football.

The four freshmen continue to be in the top five in scoring. Mitchell is the only veteran in the top 5 group.

With only two seniors (Benter and Clausen), and one player signed (Gentry - G) - that leaves only one more scholarship to get any kind of offense inside. Next year, there are only two juniors - so presumably at most two schlolarships (if that) are available. The following year, when we've already played a season in the Big Sky - as many as six scholarships become available.

To get the freshmen guards real DI help inside - and to balance out the scholarships in coming years - it would seem prudent to drop scholarships from the sophomores that aren't performing even at a low DI level. Unless there is dramatic improvement with the inside game with our existing players - this team seems destined for mediocrity. The freshmen guards need inside help before their senior year in order for this team to compete at the Big Sky level.

The four freshmen guards are the first real mid-major talent we've had here in the transition. It would almost be tragic for them and the program if they don't get a supporting cast inside during their four-year career.

The four freshmen continue to be in the top five in scoring. Mitchell is the only veteran in the top 5 group.

With only two seniors (Benter and Clausen), and one player signed (Gentry - G) - that leaves only one more scholarship to get any kind of offense inside. Next year, there are only two juniors - so presumably at most two schlolarships (if that) are available. The following year, when we've already played a season in the Big Sky - as many as six scholarships become available.

To get the freshmen guards real DI help inside - and to balance out the scholarships in coming years - it would seem prudent to drop scholarships from the sophomores that aren't performing even at a low DI level. Unless there is dramatic improvement with the inside game with our existing players - this team seems destined for mediocrity. The freshmen guards need inside help before their senior year in order for this team to compete at the Big Sky level.

The four freshmen guards are the first real mid-major talent we've had here in the transition. It would almost be tragic for them and the program if they don't get a supporting cast inside during their four-year career.

It appears the final scholarship will be going to shooting guard Shane Benton from Iowa: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Shane-Benton-119969

It appears the final scholarship will be going to shooting guard Shane Benton from Iowa: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Shane-Benton-119969

Forgot about Benton. That means no more scholarships next year - unless some changes are made.

This team needs some inside presence on offense. Seems like some very difficult decisions may have to be made before spring signing.

Forgot about Benton. That means no more scholarships next year - unless some changes are made.

This team needs some inside presence on offense. Seems like some very difficult decisions may have to be made before spring signing.

I wonder why Benton has not been announced - maybe he has yet to qualifiy.

Even if Benton does sign, we still have one scholarship remaining. I don't know how the scholarships are currently allotted but I do know that there is one scholarship available during the spring signing period.