SiouxSports.com Forum

Suhaki (Sioux Hockey)

krisg

Has anyone seen this Suhaki deal? it looks like a way to keep the name alive until UND finds a new name. I found it pretty interesting how it all plays out. The clothing looks high quality and the design is sharp. Here is the site www.suhaki.com , I think its cool, whats everyone else think?

I don't think this is such a bad idea. North Dakota is already home to speed goats, and as best I can tell, a suhaki is basically some kind of foreign speed goat. And to give a nod to our most prestigious and storied sport is just fine with me (heck, thats where Grafton Spoilers comes from in a sense). I like it I think.

* Editors Note: Suhaki (soo-ha-kee) is oftentimes mistaken for a legendary collegiate ice hockey team located at the Ralph Engelstad Arena, Grand Forks, North Dakota, United States of America.

Hmmmmm...... I'v never said "I'm going to a Sioux hockey game" and someone thought I was going to watch some goats. I do like the way they say " LEGENDARY" however.

I hate this idea more than any other one I've heard out there. If this is given any serious consideration by anyone other than a few deranged hockey fans then I'd start having some serious doubts about UND as an institution.

this sounds like it is not trying to replace the name but just to have fun with a play on words. Us Fighting Sioux fans need something to lighten up the air in the mean time and this looks like a fun concept. I am sure there will be some haters out there but just like anything that will be. I thought it was neat.

this sounds like it is not trying to replace the name but just to have fun with a play on words. Us Fighting Sioux fans need something to lighten up the air in the mean time and this looks like a fun concept. I am sure there will be some haters out there but just like anything that will be. I thought it was neat.

Kris, we have clearly looked an seen you are the head of this Suhaki concept...So obviously you are going to think it's neat.

Kris, we have clearly looked an seen you are the head of this Suhaki concept...So obviously you are going to think it's neat.

I am in no way the head of the Suhaki concept, but I did develope the website and decorate the clothing. I am a big Sioux Hockey fan, both my wife and I went to college at UND and we have been Fighting Sioux season ticket holders for 5 years. I am not very happy about the Sioux nickname being retired and will support anyone that actually has a concept that is fun to have around for awhile. Sorry Chad if I offended you.

I was the one who put it on the Bisonville board. Pretty interesting and clever. I guess I don't think it's something to get mad about. I don't follow UND although I did have a cousin play football and another played hockey at UND. I don't think the website is to make the new nickname 'Suhaki'. I think it's a fun thing for fans to do as in "Save Our Suhaki". That's why I think it's so clever. It would be funny to see a lot of people wearing that stuff around, although I would never see it much as I live in the Twin Cities.

I usually follow the SDSU and NDSU boards. Probably will be following this one a little more that UND is finally getting through to full fledge D-1. Best of luck in the Big Sky.

It's pretty obvious when someone comes on the board with no post count, and tells you to check out something new and exciting like it's the next great thing.

You'd have more credibility in my eyes if you didn't play the clueless card.

Big A HG, how did I play the clueless card? look at my original post then also a second post. This is not my idea, just helping promoting it.

Can you please explain to me why a supporter of UND's other teams on campus (like myself) should not absolutely hate this idea?

I have no part in this thing. But I will say that nicknames have come from a particular sport before. My other favorite team, Notre Dame's nickname came from their early football teams. And Grafton Spoilers got their nickname from beating Grand Forks Central in hockey and playing "spoiler" (at least this is what I'v heard). Nothing wrong with Suhaki at all as far as i'm concerned.

I have no part in this thing. But I will say that nicknames have come from a particular sport before. My other favorite team, Notre Dame's nickname came from their early football teams. And Grafton Spoilers got their nickname from beating Grand Forks Central in hockey and playing "spoiler" (at least this is what I'v heard). Nothing wrong with Suhaki at all as far as i'm concerned.

You really can't see why Sioux football players might not appreciate even a chance of being called Suhaki?

A Suhaki is an Asian Antelope basically. Why would they have a problem with that? And do Notre Dame hockey or basketball players have an issues with their name, because it comes from the football team?

I am not positive but I dont think the guys that came up with the Suhaki concept even remotely thought that this would be the new nickname, just to poke a little fun at the NCAA and prove that the Sioux name can live on.

A Suhaki is an Asian Antelope basically. Why would they have a problem with that? And do Notre Dame hockey or basketball players have an issues with their name, because it comes from the football team?

Not even close to the same. I don't care what a suhaki is. A UND football player would not be happy if their team nickname was pronounced "Sioux Hockey". It doesn't matter where the nickname comes from, whether it was hockey or football or the geology department. As a joke, or a way to poke fun at the NCAA this is fine. But there is no way that any other sport on campus would support the actual use of suhaki as a nickname.