SiouxSports.com Forum

2010 Season in Review

UND Fan

I fully realize that this is a duplicate thread to a large degree. However, the other thread started with a close look at the positives. While I agree with much of this, I am going to give my thoughts about the program as a whole from a few different aspects. Please understand that I am a long time UND fan and booster I will be until I pass on. Much of this may come across as negative but I think it is accurate. I will do my best not to have any of my comments reflect on any specific player as that would be very inappropriate. I also fully understand that we are in transition, not playoff eligible, didnt have a respectable conference, etc. These are difficult challenges.

My thoughts:

The Season

While I expected it to be a 4 or 5 win season, I was very disappointed in our effort in many games and in the fact that there was little, if any, improvement as the season progressed.

Idaho We just didnt show up for this game this certainly got the season off to a rough start and negatively affected fan interest.

N. Illinois We had a chance to win this game and I was proud of the effort. Giving up 500+ yards is a bunch but they are a very good team.

NE/NW games As expected, we won these two games rather easily and put up two 500+ yard offensive efforts.

USD Although the score was relatively close, USD controlled this game throughout. This was disappointing for many reasons: coming off of two wins, USD being the primary rival on our schedule, it certainly didnt help the recruiting efforts, etc.

S. Utah After scoring the first 14 points, we put up an embarrassing effort. They outgained us 509-173 yards. This disengaged UND fans and students. Importantly, many potential recruits were in attendance. The game experience sure was not positive due to: the way we played, the fans disappearing early in the game and, my biggest concern, they may not have been impressed with the coaching effort during and after the game.

Cal Poly We played well but while it is difficult to win on the road, it is a game you need to figure out how to win. We didnt do so.

Lamar A relatively easy win. Lamar played some other teams tough so this was a positive. Unfortunately, there were 4,000 less fans in the stands than the previous home game.

UC Davis We hung in there for awhile but UCD controlled the game. Not having Landry certainly made a difference but we shouldnt get outplayed like that at home. I think numerous recruits were at this game as well.

UM Our offense was nonexistent, proud of the defense. I will mention the decision to punt on 4th down in their territory a little later.

SDSU Another embarrassing loss to an old rival. The defense played well to keep the score from being terrifically embarrassing. Not a good way to end the season.

While we were pretty respectable in some of these games, I saw little improvement as the season went on.

Offense

Line The last couple of years, we have been smaller up front than our D2 teams of the previous 10 years. I think they played pretty well much of the time but 280-290 pound lineman just wont cut it at this level. Some kids with good HS credentials left the program in the last few years. I dont know why but, to some degree, it reflects negatively on our recruiting efforts or the ability of the coaching staff to retain these kids in the program. There are some OL being redshirted that may assist greatly in the next few years.

Backs Murray is a stud and Sutton isnt too far behind. It is too bad that they both had injury challenges. It was really too bad that we had to pull Millers redshirt but that was necessary as we didnt have other talented young backs waiting in the wings.

Receivers Hardin certainly was a pleasant surprise but no one else stepped when we had injuries to a couple others who may have contributed. I guess I dont really know what role the TE is to play but they werent an integral part of the offense (other than blocking).

QB Landry is a tough, loyal, local kid for whom I have great respect. He had some good games and some not-so-good games. It was a bit surprising to me that Goska saw very little game time early in the season. I would have thought that with his style differing so much from Landrys would be very effective in a series or two now and then. It was disappointing that we didnt have better QB results in the last few games. We definitely need quality depth in that position. Next year is scary I dont know how much progress the two returning QBs can make nor do I know if either Detmer or Comes will be able to step into a starting role.

Bottom line In six of the eleven games, we had less than 300 total yards. We wont win many games with that kind of production.

Defense

Line although it appears we have some talented kids up front, we didnt get consistent pressure on the QB throughout the season. See 3-4 comment below.

LBs Hendrickson had a great year and Dublanko was hurt a lot. It appeared this group as a whole was quite average. Good to see some of the new faces get some game time.

DBs Throughout the year, we played so far off of the line of scrimmage that opponents were able to get the quick out quite easily. I would think that this wasnt a strategy by the coaching staff but a necessity to ensure we didnt get beat downfield. I can think of no other reason. We have some young players with good speed who need to work on their tackling techniques. They are quite small it would be good if we can bring in some DBs with better size.

Bottom line Although the 3-4 has served UND very well for many years, it may be time to change to the traditional 4-3 as we dont see much option anymore. Our pass rush and pass defense was quite poor at times. As noted above, it was easy to take advantage of our playing so far off of their wideouts.

Recruiting

We have all been excited about the last two recruiting classes. This years group of redshirts becoming eligible included three starters who contributed quite well: Hardin,

Kleason and Mackey. The young linebackers saw the field quite a bit but I really was surprised that a few others did really impress and win starting jobs as the season went on.

The kids being redshirted this year also have good credentials. I wish we had been able to keep the redshirts on Miller and McGill. Both would have benefited from another year of growth and experience.

We, as fans, are relaying on these two classes to help us turn the corner in FCS play. I hope we are right. At this point, it is too early to tell.

I like the fact that we are recruiting outside of our normal area and that needs to continue. However, I sure hope we can continue to get good kids out of WS and we really need to get more kids out of the only metropolitan area near to us the Twin Cities.

Being in a conference and especially the Big Sky should help. Hopefully, the excitement of playing in CA, AZ, MT, etc. will outweigh Midwest kids and their parents wanting them to play more games closer to home.

Coaching

I have many concerns about the coaching of this years team. In brief:

the 3-4 it may be time to get away from it.

the sense that I had that they were playing not to get killed on the scoreboard the last few games rather than wanting and expecting to win.,

decision-making at times (punting on 4th down) if I were a young athlete being recruited and saw that my future coach made that decision, I would seriously question whether I wanted to play that style of ball at UND. I also find it amazing that Hardin only caught three passes in the last two games. I realize that our passing game was almost non-existent at the end - only completing 21 passes but not figuring out how to get the ball to Hardin was concerning.

post-game interviews, and interviews in general, are difficult for coaches. But talking about the officiating or how we gave a great effort after getting pounded is not appropriate.

While Mussman and his staff probably deserve another year, if things dont get better soon, we will get off to a very poor start in the Big Sky. This will affect interest in the program, attendance, fund-raising, second guessing of the decision to move on our own to the BSC, etc. In other words, it wont be good! The problem is that if we make a coaching change in a year or so, then we will likely have a couple of years of transition to a new coaching staff, new offenses, etc.

Big Sky

It is great to be in the Big Sky. We know all the positives there are many. I do have concerns about our not getting off to good starts (with FB as well as both BB teams). If we do not compete well, having a good team come into the Alerus will not have much influence of potential attendees. I also have major concerns about money. The cost of travel will be huge. Yes, we have similar costs now but it would sure be nice if we could use all that excess travel $ to increase recruiting budgets; upgrade facilities, do more marketing, etc.

Stadium/Facilities

I certainly hope a new practice facility will be announced soon. It would help in so many ways: recruiting, team preparation (not just FB), upgrade the FB offices, etc. The announcement would create a lot excitement.

As far as a new outdoor stadium is concerned, that would be outstanding but I dont think it makes sense any time in the near future. While it would probably assist in recruiting, I have real concerns about attendance if we are not winning and winning often. There would be the usual excitement and higher attendance for a year or so but then what. Having 5,500 people in a 20-25,000 seat stadium would be counterproductive in impressing potential recruits, etc. Until we develop a much larger and loyal fan base, you wont get a whole lot of people showing up for a November game when it is 25 degrees out. I the rumors about a retractable roof were real, that would be a different story but I would be amazed if that happened. Additionally, the cost of maintenance on this type of facility would be a factor.

Attendance

This has been discussed a bunch so I wont go into it much. We need to do all we can to get more people interested in Sioux FB. We need to get them to the Alerus and make sure they have a great time while watching an exciting and successful home team. That wont happen overnight but we need to start working on that hard. Just think how it would help our athletic budget if we had another 3-4,000 fans at the Alerus for every game.

Student apathy is a real problem. With hockey being the cool sport on campus, it is more difficult to get students interested in other sports. We have talked quite a bit about how student attendance has changed since some of us were in school (more than 15 years ago). That is fact but I think that it is partially due to the fact that the population in ND and NW MN has rapidly declined (especially in ND). While enrollment is up, a large number of students are not from the area and dont have any allegiance or major interest in UND sports because they have not been exposed to it for their first 18 years of their lives.

Summary

Obviously, I have some real concerns about the program some about the coaching staff, about attendance, our lack of a practice facility (today), our ability to be successful in D1 (in FB and all sports) due to our remote location, etc.

In rereading the above, it was much more negative than I had hoped but I dont have the time to soften it up a bit. You may ask what am I going to do about it other than bitch and complain; I am going to put my money where my mouth is and write a larger check to the FSC. Money, in my opinion, is the single most important factor in UNDs athletic success (actually leadership of the President and AD is right there with money). More dollars would allow us to attract/retain quality coaches, increase recruiting efforts, improve facilities, etc. I would ask that anyone reading this to help UND athletics a little more than you have in the past, if possible. Heck, help UND a lot more, if you can.

My epistle is complete!

I certainly may have made a factual error or two above. If so, my apologies! Unless it is a major error, lets not waste time talking about it.

• Upvote 4

I could not agree more with this post. The other critique I would add that happens to be a "negative" would be I'm extremely disappointed in the coaches for fostering an environment where losing is now "acceptable". That hasn't been the case with this program since Roger Thomas took over after the Behrns debacle. UND has had less talented teams that were able to put together winning seasons simply because they went out every day and worked their ass off to get victories. We don't do that anymore and that reflects poorly on the coaching staff and the athletes.

For those of you who have read the above already, I have added under Coaching Concerns the fact that Hardin only had three receptions in the last two games. Despite problems with the passing game, you have to figure out how to get the ball to him!

Having only one player among the 28 players named to the GWC first-team is not good. Congrats to Ryan on this honor!

Some reasonable comments. I've played the game and have only missed attending 7 home games dating back to the 1969 seasons. (I hate fall weddings) Plus 2 very long trips I was fortunate to make to Alabama. But, I find much of what you write amusing. It's easy to sit in the stands or at a keyboard and have all the answers. I guess this forum is a good place to pontificate and that's OK.

It's easy to have an opinion, but let's be serious here. Having all the answers based on watching the games and reading the newspaper is pretty silly. Sioux football coaches are full time professionals. Year round jobs on Sioux football. They have been through the recruiting process with these kids. Through every practice, every film session, every bus trip, every off season. They know and work with these young men every day. You don't think they've considered the use of a 4-3 instead of a 3-4? You don't think they'd like to have got the ball to Hardin more? Most defenses can take away any single player if they want and that's partially what happened as Hardin emerged into a great player. Good teams can shut down one great player and dare you to beat them other ways. Turns out it worked for some teams.

I agree a 5 win season was possible. Losing Landry and watching the forced growing up of 2 younger QB's was tough. They each showed flashes of good play, but not enough to win games. I don't think we even have this discussion if Landry hadn't been hurt. Unfortunately, young backup QB's thrown into the mix don't always do so well. In years to come I'm guessing there will be more quality depth at all positions, but especially at quarterback.

Again, I agree with some of what you write here. But, realistically you're doing it with about 5% of the knowledge and information that the coaching staff has. It would be similar to me judging your work performance at your job without having met you or knowing how to do your job. But, maybe if I watched you work for a few hours one day and talked one of your co-workers, I'd have all the information I need to tell you what you're doing wrong. You stated "But talking about the officiating or how we gave a great effort after getting pounded is not appropriate" Maybe you should explain to Mussman what is appropriate for him in post game interviews. I often hear that kind of coach-speak from other college coaches. If it's the truth, I can hardly see why it's not appropriate.

Patience. Depth and quality and many more wins will be coming. The North Dakota football tradition is solid. I know this is the place for opinion, and that's a good thing. But, like I said having all the answers when you don't know all the facts isn't always the best thing. But, it's a fan's right to have an opinion. I admire your passion for Sioux football, and stay tuned, because great things are going to happen in the coming years.

I don't think we even have this discussion if Landry hadn't been hurt.

I think even if Landry doesn't get hurt Sioux fans would still be talking about a 2010 Season in Review. :lol:

2010 Season in Review:

1: Total number of wins against IAA opponents with football programs before this year.

Some reasonable comments. I've played the game and have only missed attending 7 home games dating back to the 1969 seasons. (I hate fall weddings) Plus 2 very long trips I was fortunate to make to Alabama. But, I find much of what you write amusing. It's easy to sit in the stands or at a keyboard and have all the answers. I guess this forum is a good place to pontificate and that's OK.

It's easy to have an opinion, but let's be serious here. Having all the answers based on watching the games and reading the newspaper is pretty silly. Sioux football coaches are full time professionals. Year round jobs on Sioux football. They have been through the recruiting process with these kids. Through every practice, every film session, every bus trip, every off season. They know and work with these young men every day. You don't think they've considered the use of a 4-3 instead of a 3-4? You don't think they'd like to have got the ball to Hardin more? Most defenses can take away any single player if they want and that's partially what happened as Hardin emerged into a great player. Good teams can shut down one great player and dare you to beat them other ways. Turns out it worked for some teams.

I agree a 5 win season was possible. Losing Landry and watching the forced growing up of 2 younger QB's was tough. They each showed flashes of good play, but not enough to win games. I don't think we even have this discussion if Landry hadn't been hurt. Unfortunately, young backup QB's thrown into the mix don't always do so well. In years to come I'm guessing there will be more quality depth at all positions, but especially at quarterback.

Again, I agree with some of what you write here. But, realistically you're doing it with about 5% of the knowledge and information that the coaching staff has. It would be similar to me judging your work performance at your job without having met you or knowing how to do your job. But, maybe if I watched you work for a few hours one day and talked one of your co-workers, I'd have all the information I need to tell you what you're doing wrong. You stated "But talking about the officiating or how we gave a great effort after getting pounded is not appropriate" Maybe you should explain to Mussman what is appropriate for him in post game interviews. I often hear that kind of coach-speak from other college coaches. If it's the truth, I can hardly see why it's not appropriate.

Patience. Depth and quality and many more wins will be coming. The North Dakota football tradition is solid. I know this is the place for opinion, and that's a good thing. But, like I said having all the answers when you don't know all the facts isn't always the best thing. But, it's a fan's right to have an opinion. I admire your passion for Sioux football, and stay tuned, because great things are going to happen in the coming years.

I won't say I played college ball, but I've played the game as well and it doesn't take alot of experience to see having the DBs play 10 yards off the receivers results in a lot of 3rd down conversions. The first game of the year was very telling with the pounding they got, the on-side kick to the side where the player wasn't even looking for the ball, and not being able to finish the possesion with a score, but rather a fumble or turnover. I don't think the post by the UND Fan was anything but a very good interpretation and fair based on what most of us saw on the field. Having intimate knowledge about the coaches and the kids doesn't mean squat if you are not producing...The system is based on merit and if you don't earn the merit then you will be removed. Given the outcomes for this year, I agree the staff should get one more year to show its either a fluke or its the best you are going to produce given the coaches capabilities. One way or another, a 3 win season again will help make this decision pretty easy...

BobIwabuchiFan

I appreciate your comments. As a former player and avid follower of Sioux football, there is no question that you that have much better insight into the actual situation than I do. I do feel better about the state of the program based on your observations.

That being said, it appears that you and I are about the same age. I have followed all UND sports very closely through all these years. I have seen the great times in Sioux football (I was in Florence when we won it all) and I have seen the not-so-great times but I am not an "insider" so I certainly do not know the real situation. My comments are based on my observation over the last 40 years - especially the last 15 or 20. It does not appear to me that our players are as disciplined or focused nor are our game plans as well-designed as those under the previous two coaches. Plus I don't sense the same level of confidence and control from this coaching staff. *That is probably not a fair statement as I really don't know about the other staff members. This is what I sense from the leader of the team. I hope I am wrong!

Regarding what coaches should or should not say in post-game interviews - I did prefice my comments by acknowledging that emotions at the end of a game make these interviews very difficult for coaches. I would likely be quite lousy if I were the one with a microphone in my face after a tough loss! That being said, it sure seemed to me like we heard too many excuses rather than "I'm proud of the way the kids played tonight" or "I was disappoionted that we weren't ready to play tonight for some reason - that will be addressed this week during practice and we will do our best to make sure it doesn't happen again." Talking about referreeing or bad bounces when your team has played very poorly and has been beaten soundly just doesn't seem like something you would hear from a true leader of a football team. Granted, I might be overly critical of Mussman in this area.

As mentioned, my No. 1 concern is that if UND is not competitive (we sure don't need to be great - yet!) in the major sports as we move into the BSC, attendance and apathy will become a much bigger problem. Regarding fundraising, most people are willing to write decent-sized checks to the program when things are going well but not so interested in doing so when their teams aren't very good. Again, I am not in that category. I will continue to write the largest check I can afford for the support of UND athletics for as long as I am around.

Once again, I really appreciate your thoughts. I do feel better about the FB situation based on your comments. I absolutely hope that Muss and his staff take us to many very successful years in the BSC and the FCS.

Coaching

I have many concerns about the coaching of this year’s team. In brief:

• the 3-4 – it may be time to get away from it.

• the sense that I had that they were playing “not to get killed on the scoreboard” the last few games rather than wanting and expecting to win.,

decision-making at times (punting on 4th down) – if I were a young athlete being recruited and saw that my future coach made that decision, I would seriously question whether I wanted to play that style of ball at UND. I also find it amazing that Hardin only caught three passes in the last two games. I realize that our passing game was almost non-existent at the end - only completing 21 passes but not figuring out how to get the ball to Hardin was concerning.

post-game interviews, and interviews in general, are difficult for coaches. But talking about the officiating or how we gave a great effort after getting pounded is not appropriate.

While Mussman and his staff probably deserve another year, if things don’t get better soon, we will get off to a very poor start in the Big Sky. This will affect interest in the program, attendance, fund-raising, second guessing of the decision to move on our own to the BSC, etc. In other words, it won’t be good! The problem is that if we make a coaching change in a year or so, then we will likely have a couple of years of transition to a new coaching staff, new offenses, etc.

Excellent post...but of all the things you mentioned...coaching still is what drives the bus day in and day out in a big time program. From X's and O's, to play calling and in game adjustments, commuication with media, to leadership of the whole program. You can have all the other things in place that you described, but if you can't coach 'em up, if you can't create an envirioment of we will "battle" and still give us the opportunity to WIN mentality, all the other stuff is for not.

Great things can be accomplished with less talent if you have a group of men that are willing to "battle" and overcome because the man leading the program is someone they'll stand in front of a moving bus for because they know he is providing them with all avenues to be successful and win games. Mussman has a long way to go IMO to accomplish that...and frankly, it doesn't take someone who has played college FB to see that.