Yale @ UND game update thread (game 1)

U2Bad1

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sioux win 8-4.

Ugly win over a less than mediocre Yale team. They aren't awful but they aren't good either.

Lundbohm out in the 2nd with an injury and it's still unknown what happened. Poor goalie performance by Parise giving up 3 goals. Ziggy came in and let in a goal. Overall Parise and Ziggy let in 4 goals on 10 shots. That's 40% if you do the math. That doesn't win Championships at any level. Somebody needs to step up. Hopefully Brandt is solid tomorrow night.

Good game by Bochenski, Fylling, Murray, and others. Hennessey said Parise looked to be favoring his knee at times. Maybe it would be smart to rest the kid tomorrow and get him angry for the Goophers.

A "W" is a "W" on the ole record though. I'll take it.

I was at the game for the 1st 2 periods (had to leave because someone else needed the camera) and Parise was not looking very good. Either of them. Zach looked about a step slow and you could tell he was still favoring his leg a little bit. The 2nd Yale goal made Adam Houser's five hole look tiny. It was a right side backhander that caught the inside of Jordan's right pad and slid between his legs. On the 1st one, it just slipped right underneath him, howeer it was a pretty hard shot from about 10 feet out.

Genoway was a pimp like whoa tonight. His goal was amazing, he was being hauled down by two guys and just flipped it up and in as he went down. Quite the goal. Stafford's goal was also pretty clutch, he's going to be pretty good. Porter was all over the ice tonight, and he has been a very nice suprise. Give him 30 points possibly this season.

Good offense, horrible goaltending, ok defense by the Sioux tonight. I give them a B- for their overall performance. No way you should give up 4 goals to any team, yet alone Yale with as few shots as they had.

Anyone know what's up with Massen? I think I've only heard his name once all night.

Massen saw the ice a bit but didn't get in on any plays.

The first goal was a hard shot for Parise to stop. The third goal or was it the fourth? Was an impressive goal by number 13 of Yale. NO WAY anyone could have stopped it. Actually, from my angle, it looked a lot like the same move that won BC the game in over time in 2001. Great move.

I think the plays of the night were: On offense, Brady Murray's pass to Bochenski. UNBELIEVABLE pass. WOW! 3 assists for Murray tonight.

Defensive play of the game was Ziggy's stop on the breakaway.

Notable players on the ice to me were Colby Genoway, Mike Prpich, and Brady Murray. Yes, Colby got a goal and Murray had three assists, but that's not why I thought they deserved recognition. They skated their butts off tonight. They were incredible on the ice. All Prpich needed was a goal and I thought he'd be player of the game. Instead, I think the three stars of todays game are: Bochenski, Murray, and Porter (Fylling could also work).

And the way we were missing the net in the first period, we could have ended up with an 11-4 win.

I saw the last 40 % of the game or so on TV at Senser's and I would say Zach looked like he was flying around out there to me. But that gives a limited perspective.

Who was in Genoway's uni last year? Because this isn't that Genoway. He looks way more confident. He made some great passes and a fantastic goal. That puck was in his skates as he was getting hauled sideways right in front of the tender and he still managed to flip it up and over him.

Porter also looked really good. For a freshman he's flying around out there and making plays. Again, I thought he was playing with more authority than most of our freshman have for a few years here.

Bochenski looks like a man among boys out there. His all-around game looks strong to me. Not only offensively, but the guy comes screaming in to help backcheck and clear the area around the goal when necessary too.

Murray has great puck skills. His individual hussle put him in position where a STUPID pass by the Yale dman bounced off his chest. He was able to backhand a quick pass to Bochenski for possibly the easiest non-empty netter he's ever scored.

Parise fanned on a similar shot minutes later but picked up the puck and passed out front to Bo who buried it.

Anyone else think the Yale goalie was starting to get on his teammates in the 3rd for hanging him out to dry so badly? Looked like you could see it in his body language.

Some of our pp in the 3rd looked fantastic but we just couldn't score. But the last one without the first team in it looked pretty bad.

Sioux looked great, I thought, except for some very sloppy play in their own end that hung out the goalies. The goalies also played pretty soft. Of the 2 goals I saw Parise give up I thought he should have #2. But #3 looked like a pretty nifty move.

Ziggy's first save was a fantastic stop on a breakaway. He stayed with the shooter until he tried to break around him at the last moment and then Ziggy shot the right leg out and stopped the puck. Excellent save.

Murray and Genoway both made ill-advised passes in their own end that ended up on Yale sticks. That needs to get fixed before next week...

Signs were awesome!

Bochenski was not that great in the first period. He wasn't completing checks and the Sioux were giving up way to many turnovers in the first period and even some in the third.

There was some diving out there by Yale, but nothing too serious. I loved how Mayer (#8) tried to sell it, but Campion didn't dig it. In any case, Steeves is one cheap joke of a hockey player.

As for Gartner, yes, I would most definitely think he did and he should have. He truly is the only great player on the Bulldogs. He was left high and dry pretty much from the second period onwards. I think him and Cam Ellsworth should get together and chat. Both of them seem to know what it is meant to be out on the clothsline.

We'll see better things tonight I hope.

Goaltending sucked! 4 Goals on 10 shots...seriously guys

Brandt will show up tomorrow and prove again why he is the #1 so I'm not too worried...and I'm sure if he doesn't I'll hear about it, but for now I will hope for the best and stay positive.

There is a difference between playing like a #1 goalie, and Blais recognizing it. I think someone should call into the coaches show and ask him why he doesn't like Brandt. :D

There is a difference between playing like a #1 goalie, and Blais recognizing it. I think someone should call into the coaches show and ask him why he doesn't like Brandt. :D

Well it's early in the season and playing against non-conference teams like Yale I'm sure Blais wants to see what the others can do. That's the beauty of having 5 goalies or whatever they have.

I don't think the off season Brandt had helped either.