SiouxSports.com Forum

Hitting from Behind

siouxnami

From the travel blog:

http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=205012290

9:29 p.m. -- BAM! That's the sound that awoke me from a deep -- and I mean DEEP -- nap on the bus this afternoon just outside of Erskine, Minn. The sound was unmistakable: our bus had been hit. As I shook the nap grogginess, the only question was 'What exactly hit us?'

It turned out that while our bus made it's precautionary stop in front of a railway crossing, we were slammed into from behind by a car at a fairly high speed. Apparently, the driver was a beet truck driver heading home from his shift and had dozed off at the wheel. By the time he opened his eyes, it was too late to react.

Amazingly, the driver seemed to have escaped serious injury. You wouldn't have known it by looking at the car, which was totaled. Everyone on the bus was fine, although the players who were sitting in the back row are a little sore after being jarred pretty significantly.

Once it was clear everyone was okay, associate head coach Cary Eades, never one to pass up the chance for a good one-liner, quipped, "They've gotta crack down on all this hitting from behind." It was a light moment in what could have been a very, very bad situation. Coach Eades had been one of the first people off the bus and immediately checked on the driver, who insisted he was fine.

The bus was leeking coolant, so we had to wait approximately an hour for an area school bus to pick us up and take us the rest of the way to Bemidji. It was interesting to watch 20-plus players fiddling with various high-tech gadgets ranging from laptops to iPhones to iPods while jammed into a little yellow school bus.

The eery part of the whole situation is prior to leaving Engelstad Arena, Derrick LaPoint, Brad Eidsness and myself were discussing the horrific 1986 Swift Current Broncos bus crash, as well as our own personal harrowing bus tales we've experienced over the years. With the thousands upon thousands of bus trips taken by teams each year, often through dark nights and on wintery roads, it's amazing there aren't more accidents.

So here is a tip of the hat to Jerry Eggers and all of the other bus drivers who keep our Fighting Sioux teams safe on the highways each year.

On a lighter note, we dropped the gear off before dinner and got our first look of the Bemidji Regional Event Center. Bob Peters and the entire BSU community should be very proud. It's a beautiful arena and it looks like it will trap the noise very well.

I'm looking forward to a memorable weekend on the ice.