SiouxSports.com Forum

Stories from "The Barn"

yababy8

fightingsioux.com had an interesting article on the old Hockey barn on their website today.

It made me curious about what Sioux Hockey was like back then...

Is there anyone on SiouxSports.com that can claim to have been a fan and watched Sioux hockey back when they played there?

Or at least does anyone know of a person who experienced Sioux BARN hockey?

If so let's here about it.

Also, where was the barn located??

I remember going with my dad when I was very young and the things that sticks out in my mind was the chicken wire that kept the pucks from going out of play. Unlike pounding on the plexiglass now, you could really make an impression on the opposition if you pounded on the chicken wire -- literally! The other thing I remember is how cold it was. Everyone would go underneath the stands to the concession area between periods just to get warm. It was very crowded, and second hand smoke made it seem like there was a fire burning somewhere. Also seemed like everybody had a thermos full of something to keep warm. No alcohol served back then, but I imagine there was plenty in the building anyway. We certainly have come a long way since then.

I loved the barn - I think the hard-nosed attitude that our teams developed playing there carries over into the Sioux Hockey Program today (contrast that with the Gophs)

My memories start with standing outside at -20, then getting in and it's still -20. Luckily, we all carried the accessory of choice, a wineskin filled with a strong warming fluid. The fog or mist that formed inside the barn gave it a surreal appearance. Chicken wire added to this. You had to rush to the warming rooms between periods. They resembled a very packed smoking lounge, with people re-loading their drinks. Add a very hard-nosed team and many animals ready to be thrown (gophers, badgers, whatever) and it was a hockey classic. When I see our team play in the Ralph, I think in some ways we have come light years in facilities, but in other ways, we are still a team that would feel at home playing in the barn. I hope we never lose the edge.

The barn had a certain magic to it, even though it pales in comparison to the new Ralph. I remember going to my first Sioux game with my Dad in November, 1964. It was against Michigan and I witnessed my first hockey fight. I was in the second grade, and I thought how cool was that to see blood on the ice. Between periods, my buddies and I would walk under the stands looking for treasure (pucks, sticks, money). Witnessed alot of inebriated adults in those days. The consession stands used to sell hot Dr. Pepper in a styrofoam cup with a lemon in it. It sounds gross, but it was awsome when it was -20 inside :ohmy:

I have attended UND Fighting Sioux Ice Hockey games in all three home venues. The Barn had no magic when I attended. It was very cold in the early 1970s as a young lad, the hot chocolate was great, the Sioux, not so great. The Winter Sports Building was an amazing advance. I saw many great games there while at school at GFRR and when I was a UND student from 1976-1983. The massive pre-game fight that Scott Marvin started against the BADgers, the 3 goal deficit come back win against the rodents. The atmosphere in the packed to the rafters WSB was amazing. The Ralph, well what can you say, it is very civilized.

• 3 weeks later...

The Ralph, well what can you say, it is very civilized.

I don't know - the last couple of years (last year especially) it seems the Ralph is coming into it's own a bit. For the first time in a while, I'm starting to believe in a home ice advantage. Sure you'll have your stinker games now and then, but I like what I've been seeing lately.