SiouxSports.com Forum

2011 schedule concerns

Ole in MSP

Is anyone else getting a little nervous about what the 2011 schedule will look like as final? Right now it only shows 7 games with lots of open spaces. Would like to see at least two more "quality" games and a total of at least 10. Have heard some rumors about games, but seems like time is fleeting especially re telling recruits who they might see on the field the next few years.

Is anyone else getting a little nervous about what the 2011 schedule will look like as final? Right now it only shows 7 games with lots of open spaces. Would like to see at least two more "quality" games and a total of at least 10. Have heard some rumors about games, but seems like time is fleeting especially re telling recruits who they might see on the field the next few years.

My guess is that there maybe has already been a couple other games finalized for 2011. I think they maybe want to save a few of the games for the public announcement and official release of the 2011 schedule for PR purposes.

At least I HOPE this is the case. I would be very disappointed if we still only had 7 games scheduled for 2011 at this point.

My guess is that there maybe has already been a couple other games finalized for 2011. I think they maybe want to save a few of the games for the public announcement and official release of the 2011 schedule for PR purposes.

At least I HOPE this is the case. I would be very disappointed if we still only had 7 games scheduled for 2011 at this point.

I waited a week to see if anything changed to reply to your comments. I also HOPE you are correct in your statements, but reality is, with about 12 months until practice starts for the 2011 season there are only 7 games listed, only 3 at home and one against that nemesis NAIA school that kicked our butt last year. As a program this seems concerning to a diehard Sioux fan, but more importantly what message is it sending to any kids being recruited. Now, there may be all kinds of wonderful games being scheduled, but this year's HS seniors will likely be the first class that will have 4 years of eligibility when UND is playoff eligible at the FCS level and they ought to know what the future competition might be outside of the Great West teams. Hopefully no news is good news, but I doubt it.

I waited a week to see if anything changed to reply to your comments. I also HOPE you are correct in your statements, but reality is, with about 12 months until practice starts for the 2011 season there are only 7 games listed, only 3 at home and one against that nemesis NAIA school that kicked our butt last year. As a program this seems concerning to a diehard Sioux fan, but more importantly what message is it sending to any kids being recruited. Now, there may be all kinds of wonderful games being scheduled, but this year's HS seniors will likely be the first class that will have 4 years of eligibility when UND is playoff eligible at the FCS level and they ought to know what the future competition might be outside of the Great West teams. Hopefully no news is good news, but I doubt it.

You are probably going to be waiting for many more weeks. This is the time of year that most college coaches and athletic directors take their vacation. Very little happens in college athletics during June and July. You probably won't hear anything on scheduling until after the football season starts.

I'm less concerned about next year, but very much concerned about longer-term. For this situation to be abated, a Summit Football League must be started, or a MVFC bid occur, or UND somehow must get football-only membership in the Big Sky. There really aren't other options, barring the long-shot chance of an FBS bid (with a huge donation).

UND's has scheduling problems because we have a decent program, we're not in a recruiting area, and it is difficult and expensive to travel to GF. NDSU struggles mightily too just to get three OOC games. USD has been more successful in scheduling for later years because it is a bus trip for more teams (like UNColo) and the probability for a visitor to win in Vermillion is higher. Cal Poly and UCDavis are having some of the same issues, so it's not just us. I'd really like to see more games against Southland teams (maybe a H&A with Lamar while they transition up) or Big Sky teams. But so many of the Big Sky schools are forced to schedule two FBS games just to make budget. UND is forced to schedule two FBS (with low payouts) just to make a schedule. Even a hockey/football scheduling agreement with schools like Maine, UNH, and UMass are unlikely, as those schools have so many cheaper eastern football options.

With the dissolution of the Gulf South DII conference, some of those schools look to move to DI and FCS. Perhaps North Alabama or Valdosta State can be scheduled.

Well said Star. It will take a lot of work but I'm confident that next year's schedule will come together. Very rarely are schedules completely more than a year before the season starts. While having 4 games left to schedule is concerning I highly doubt this has been placed on the back burner and some contacts have been made. Getting into a conference is very important though for the future of this will be a yearly thing.

I'm less concerned about next year, but very much concerned about longer-term. For this situation to be abated, a Summit Football League must be started, or a MVFC bid occur, or UND somehow must get football-only membership in the Big Sky. There really aren't other options, barring the long-shot chance of an FBS bid (with a huge donation).

UND's has scheduling problems because we have a decent program, we're not in a recruiting area, and it is difficult and expensive to travel to GF. NDSU struggles mightily too just to get three OOC games. USD has been more successful in scheduling for later years because it is a bus trip for more teams (like UNColo) and the probability for a visitor to win in Vermillion is higher. Cal Poly and UCDavis are having some of the same issues, so it's not just us. I'd really like to see more games against Southland teams (maybe a H&A with Lamar while they transition up) or Big Sky teams. But so many of the Big Sky schools are forced to schedule two FBS games just to make budget. UND is forced to schedule two FBS (with low payouts) just to make a schedule. Even a hockey/football scheduling agreement with schools like Maine, UNH, and UMass are unlikely, as those schools have so many cheaper eastern football options.

With the dissolution of the Gulf South DII conference, some of those schools look to move to DI and FCS. Perhaps North Alabama or Valdosta State can be scheduled.

How can UND generate interest in a FB program playing Lamar, Valdosta and North Alabama etc.? No one in the upper midwest knows where they are and could care less. Talk about travel costs! On the other hand, you are correct, being in the Big Sky, MVFC, or a Summit FB league is a must to survive. The move to D1 will be a total failure in my opinion if this program does not find some way to play some newsworthy opponents soon. If Faison is not working 24 hours a day to resolve this then UND is in serious jeopardy of not being a viable D1 university.

How can UND generate interest in a FB program playing Lamar, Valdosta and North Alabama etc.? No one in the upper midwest knows where they are and could care less. Talk about travel costs! On the other hand, you are correct, being in the Big Sky, MVFC, or a Summit FB league is a must to survive. The move to D1 will be a total failure in my opinion if this program does not find some way to play some newsworthy opponents soon. If Faison is not working 24 hours a day to resolve this then UND is in serious jeopardy of not being a viable D1 university.

Step away from the ledge. I know Faison and the coaching staff is working hard on this. Just cause we don't have the schedule filled for the next five years don't jump. Recruiting is going fine, the team is improving.

Honestly whats the difference between North Alabama or Western Illinois? Just getting FCS teams on the schedule is important.

When we are playoff eligible people will care especially when we have no auto birth in the playoffs..every game counts and every win counts. IMHO in 2012 attendance will be at max we will have football fever like we did back in the NCC days. It will be different fighting every opponent to get a spot in the playoffs than just winning the GWFC title. Just be patient.

The transition to Division I is a marathon, not a sprint. The most important leg is getting into a viable conference. That is much more important than what the football schedule looks like in 2011. And that includes all sports, not just football. Mr. Faison is working very hard on the conference issue. The prospects look good for the Summit for the majority of sports. Mr. Faison will find a good answer for football also. Just relax for a little while.

The transition to Division I is a marathon, not a sprint. The most important leg is getting into a viable conference. That is much more important than what the football schedule looks like in 2011. And that includes all sports, not just football. Mr. Faison is working very hard on the conference issue. The prospects look good for the Summit for the majority of sports. Mr. Faison will find a good answer for football also. Just relax for a little while.

OK, I will relax and be patient. Got it. But I am too old to be patient for long. UND is "sort of" approved for the Summit. USD is in the Summit already. USD has "newsworthy" games scheduled against Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Northwestern in FB which will all generate midwest interest, not to mention NDSU and Northern Iowa. It matters little at this point that UND beat USD the last two years. Almost zero info on blogs and in the Herald on UND FB. I guess time will tell, but seems to me that someone needs to generate some enthusiasm for this program and soon. A couple of wins at Idaho and NIU might do it, but that would be just a start.

OK, I will relax and be patient. Got it. But I am too old to be patient for long. UND is "sort of" approved for the Summit. USD is in the Summit already. USD has "newsworthy" games scheduled against Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Northwestern in FB which will all generate midwest interest, not to mention NDSU and Northern Iowa. It matters little at this point that UND beat USD the last two years. Almost zero info on blogs and in the Herald on UND FB. I guess time will tell, but seems to me that someone needs to generate some enthusiasm for this program and soon. A couple of wins at Idaho and NIU might do it, but that would be just a start.

Is there any word on the ban with Minnesota? I am sure that will be lifted with the name retirement, also since we played Wisconsin in basketball any talks of a trip to Madison?

But so many of the Big Sky schools are forced to schedule two FBS games just to make budget.

Speaking of this, Montana announced earlier this week that they will open the 2011 football season at Tennessee, for which they will be paid $500,000 plus expenses.

I don't think the Griz have played a FBS powerhouse since 2005 or 2006, but it just shows how even the healthier FCS teams have to bow down to an ass-kicking just to make the numbers work.

Money is getting tighter everywhere it appears.

Is there any word on the ban with Minnesota? I am sure that will be lifted with the name retirement, also since we played Wisconsin in basketball any talks of a trip to Madison?

The number of FCS-FBS matches may very well be going down, as the Big 12 is going to a 9-game conference schedule and the Big 10 is pondering that. If that happens, none of the western or midwest FBS conferences would need as many games. That's 22 less interconference (many of them may be FBS-FCS) games that would be wiped out every year. The days of NDSU playing Kansas, SDSU playing Nebraska, and USD playing Minnesota all in the same year may be gone. In addition, CUSA may also move to 9 conference games, which drops 12 more interconference game, and Western Kentucky with full scheduling in the SunBelt drops 9 more, and Colorado/Utah to the Pac10 dropped two more (for a total of 45 less inter-conference games - many of which would have been FCS-FBS).

Schools in the WAC are the ones that need games, as they now can only schedule 7 conference games with Boise gone. But already have two FBS teams scheduled for next year.

Big Ten scheduling issues yet to be resolved

Furthermore, until the Big Ten has an internal scheduling plan, they won't be signing more game contracts. Watch for a number of schedule shakeups and contracts that have to be broken.

Speaking of this, Montana announced earlier this week that they will open the 2011 football season at Tennessee, for which they will be paid $500,000 plus expenses.

I don't think the Griz have played a FBS powerhouse since 2005 or 2006, but it just shows how even the healthier FCS teams have to bow down to an ass-kicking just to make the numbers work.

Money is getting tighter everywhere it appears.

Montana's seems very smart to sign this game now, rather than waiting. The number of FCS schools clamoring to FBS pay dates will likely be going up, while the need by FBS schools will be less.

With regard to UND, if the new Montana president is in favor of FBS and pursues the WAC, Montana will definitely drop the return UND home game.

I'm not concerned about the 4 games left, we have plenty of time, but what does worry me is that we haven't found a replacement for the Sioux Falls game and bought them out. There is no way that we should be playing NAIA schools.

I'm not concerned about the 4 games left, we have plenty of time, but what does worry me is that we haven't found a replacement for the Sioux Falls game and bought them out. There is no way that we should be playing NAIA schools.

They should be D2 by the time we play them again.

There will be no buyout, I was told today.

They should be D2 by the time we play them again.

The thing is, we shouldn't be playing D2 schools any more either. As I recall, we went D1 to escape playing these lower class teams. For the transition to be successful, it needs to be all D1 schools.

The thing is, we shouldn't be playing D2 schools any more either. As I recall, we went D1 to escape playing these lower class teams. For the transition to be successful, it needs to be all D1 schools.

A lot of teams play at least 1 game each year against a team from a lower division. Look at all of the FBS schools that play FCS schools. A lot of FCS play a game against a Division II school. The reason is that it is hard to get home games. Quality FCS teams are looking for more home games, not more road games. Plus they would rather have an easy game or 2 on the schedule. So getting FCS schools to schedule a lot of games in Grand Forks is always going to be a challenge. You probably won't see a Division II school every year, but don't be surprised when they turn up on occasion.

A lot of teams play at least 1 game each year against a team from a lower division. Look at all of the FBS schools that play FCS schools. A lot of FCS play a game against a Division II school. The reason is that it is hard to get home games. Quality FCS teams are looking for more home games, not more road games. Plus they would rather have an easy game or 2 on the schedule. So getting FCS schools to schedule a lot of games in Grand Forks is always going to be a challenge. You probably won't see a Division II school every year, but don't be surprised when they turn up on occasion.

I am guessing that unless something really unusual happens, UND will be playing at least 2 more lower division teams in 2011 to fill out the 11 game schedule that right now only has 7 games. I suspect that there are very few if any D1 level schools that do not have their 2011 schedule completed now.

I am guessing that unless something really unusual happens, UND will be playing at least 2 more lower division teams in 2011 to fill out the 11 game schedule that right now only has 7 games. I suspect that there are very few if any D1 level schools that do not have their 2011 schedule completed now.

Seeing as how North Dakota, NDSU, and SDSU all just completed their 2010 schedules back in April & May, I'm not too worked up about not having the 2011 slate finished up more than a year before the season starts. I'd suspect that there are very few D1 level schools that do have their 2011 schedule completed now.

I respect your passion and what you are saying here. I just think it's a little early to start worrying about this.

If and when any of the scheduling things you speak of come to fruition, then I too will be severely disappointed. Until then, I will give Faison the benefit of the doubt. I hope he doesn't prove us otherwise.

One other thing - They should buyout the SF game and I will be severely disappointed if they dont. Find a better game for home or hit the road again.

Based on some of the open date listings for FCS teams, looks as if both Cal Poly and us are hurting for games. One of the other problems for UND's scheduling is that so many of the other FCS teams begin their conference schedule the last week of September (or earlier). We've scheduled FBS games early, when many FCS dates are open. We have to fill essentially the whole month of October, when few teams have open dates.

Would be nice to sign both Montana State and Stony Brook to home and aways.

Until we have 11 scheduled dates, any consideration of dropping Sioux Falls is ludicrous. Those suggesting as such can donate the penalty ($50 - $100 K) to the program, and then add another $100 K to schedule another game.

AFCA Open Dates for FCS - needs update

Footballscoup.com FCS open dates