SiouxSports.com Forum

AHL Team

Fetch

I said something like this in the past couple years

This guy said it better

April 9, 2010 11:02 AM

Jay S. Rugby, ND

"First off Thanks to the NCAA for sticking their noses in where it doesn't belong (you have enough troubles in house, a famous country singer once said "If you mind your own business you'll be busy all the time"). Next Thanks to the NDBHE for caving in. Next Thanks to the ND court system for getting it wrong. Next Thanks to the Standing Rock council for not allowing a vote, I have many friends there who said that had a vote happened the Sioux would still be the UND Nickname Hands Down! And heres a million dollar idea I want a piece of when it happens...keep the Sioux Logos at the Ralph, lets get Grand Forks a AHL team, name them the Fighting Sioux and problem solved. Thus the Fighting Sioux will occupy the Ralph, the UND College team, whatever the NDBHE decides they should be called can play there and it will still be the home of the 'Fighting Sioux' . If you don't think they could sell season tickets for that just to keep the Fighting SIoux name alive alone you are crazy, people would go gaga. Better yet North Dakota Fighting Sioux NHL team, I can dream can't I? Also may Raplh's ghost be hard at work keeping certain people awake nights!"

I have never been to a AHL game but it seems like a good league & I bet folks would pack the Ralph & support it - especially if they could use the name

I said something like this in the past couple years

This guy said it better

April 9, 2010 11:02 AM

Jay S. Rugby, ND

First off Thanks to the NCAA for sticking their noses in where it doesn't belong (you have enough troubles in house, a famous country singer once said "If you mind your own business you'll be busy all the time"). Next Thanks to the NDBHE for caving in. Next Thanks to the ND court system for getting it wrong. Next Thanks to the Standing Rock council for not allowing a vote, I have many friends there who said that had a vote happened the Sioux would still be the UND Nickname Hands Down! And heres a million dollar idea I want a piece of when it happens...keep the Sioux Logos at the Ralph, lets get Grand Forks a AHL team, name them the Fighting Sioux and problem solved. Thus the Fighting Sioux will occupy the Ralph, the UND College team, whatever the NDBHE decides they should be called can play there and it will still be the home of the 'Fighting Sioux' . If you don't think they could sell season tickets for that just to keep the Fighting SIoux name alive alone you are crazy, people would go gaga. Better yet North Dakota Fighting Sioux NHL team, I can dream can't I? Also may Raplh's ghost be hard at work keeping certain people awake nights!

I have never been to a AHL game but it seems like a good league & I bet folks would pack the Ralph & support it - especially if they could use the name

Nothing is out of the realm of possibility. Someone else has mentioned Grand Forks having a Major Junior team in the Western Hockey League within the CHL as another possibility. They already have teams in the US in Washington and Oregon, as well as teams that are alot closer in Saskatchewan and in Brandon Manitoba. There are teams in locations much smaller than Grand Forks in this league. Would take an owner with deep pockets. Not saying the REA will go this route, just that there are options there that will result in a team playing in the arena that is the Fighting Sioux. UND's team would obviously be a primary tenant of the REA in whatever situation. Speculation is fun, isn't it.

Nothing is out of the realm of possibility. Someone else has mentioned Grand Forks having a Major Junior team in the Western Hockey League within the CHL as another possibility. They already have teams in the US in Washington and Oregon, as well as teams that are alot closer in Saskatchewan and in Brandon Manitoba. There are teams in locations much smaller than Grand Forks in this league. Would take an owner with deep pockets. Not saying the REA will go this route, just that there are options there that will result in a team playing in the arena that is the Fighting Sioux. UND's team would obviously be a primary tenant of the REA in whatever situation. Speculation is fun, isn't it.

I think the WHL would and could be sucessful in Grand Forks, I would go to Sioux hockey and WHL as well. I would love to see the Brandon Wheat Kings come to town for a two game set.

I happen to know a person who shall remain nameless who:

1. Is a helluva great guy

2. Was a great high school hockey player at one time

3. Who Sioux pride and support runs DEEP in his family

4. Who has become an extremely successful business man in GF

Who I bet has both the wallet and brains to run a Major Junior team

I won't talk about this individual beyond this post, as I have the utmost respect for him, and will not divulge his name period, BUT the gist of this post is simply that there are possibilities...

You know what, Ralph said this:

"May the logo and the Fighting Sioux name live on forever!"

Ralph Engelstad - October 5, 2001

He never said in what manner, though. I would LOVE to see an AHL or WHL team in Grand Forks, even though I don't live there anymore. I think it could be successful, although I don't think it'd be quite as easy to happen as some would think. Here's hoping to any successful venture someone may try.

A quick thought...

I wonder what it would take to obtain the ownership of the Fighting Sioux name and logo from the university who would still own the rights to it even after the nickname is gone. My guess is, this would be a pretty big hurdle, especially if the university really wanted to put a kabosh to the whole name and logo.

...especially if the university really wanted to put a kabosh to the whole name and logo.

Is there really any question in anyone's mind as to the university's desire?

This thing could've been taken care of 10 years ago as two line-items in a construction budget. But that is ancient history.

Today, I am disappointed in the university's leadership, and in the SBOHE.

But I've been of the mind that the name/logo was gone the minute the "agreement" with the NCAA was made. Everything that's happened since that day has merely been whistling in the dark.

Is there really any question in anyone's mind as to the university's desire?

This thing could've been taken care of 10 years ago as two line-items in a construction budget. But that is ancient history.

Today, I am disappointed in the university's leadership, and in the SBOHE.

But I've been of the mind that the name/logo was gone the minute the "agreement" with the NCAA was made. Everything that's happened since that day has merely been whistling in the dark.

I was referring to a potential AHL or WHL team using the name/logo. Obviously the university wants nothing to do with the name/logo for its own use, but what would it take to acquire the name/logo for non-collegiate use.

I was referring to a potential AHL or WHL team using the name/logo. Obviously the university wants nothing to do with the name/logo for its own use, but what would it take to acquire the name/logo for non-collegiate use.

The terms of the NCAA settlement require that the logo be "retired" which means that UND would probably not be allowed to sell or license its use. Not sure if non-use of a logo would put it back in the public domain at some time.

The terms of the NCAA settlement require that the logo be "retired" which means that UND would probably not be allowed to sell or license its use. Not sure if non-use of a logo would put it back in the public domain at some time.

Hello AZSioux