SiouxSports.com Forum

2010 Flood

darell1976

The NWS predicts a flood that could be worse than last year in Fargo and most of the southern valley. There is a 32% chance of the Red cresting at 40ft where that number was at 2% at this time last year and Fargo had the highest crest ever. I hope people are prepared, get your flood insurance in order it takes 30 days to take effect (mine starts on March 11th). As someone who went through the 1997 flood in Grand Forks I am prepared and ready and have an evac plan if needed.

The NWS predicts a flood that could be worse than last year in Fargo and most of the southern valley. There is a 32% chance of the Red cresting at 40ft where that number was at 2% at this time last year and Fargo had the highest crest ever. I hope people are prepared, get your flood insurance in order it takes 30 days to take effect (mine starts on March 11th). As someone who went through the 1997 flood in Grand Forks I am prepared and ready and have an evac plan if needed.

More precisely, the NWS stated there was a 25% chance in Fargo of getting to last year's record (40.8") or higher. None the less, here we go again!! :silly::silly:

More precisely, the NWS stated there was a 25% chance in Fargo of getting to last year's record (40.8") or higher. None the less, here we go again!! :silly::silly:

I hate to look further but 10% of 43ft. WOW that is 2 ft lower than the highest dike in Fargo the VA dike is at 45ft, thats my saftey net. They built a new floodwall down the street from the VA but that protects 38-40. If they predict 41-45ft i am on my way to Grand Forks. I know they are counting on the University and high school kids again but people are going to get sick of this every year.

I sat through a NOHRSC (National Operational Hyrdrologic Remote Sensing Center) discussion about a month ago, they said flooding was almost a certainty, now the situation is even worse. There's another presentation today in Bismarck, I'll probably sit in on too. There's a general 5-6" of water sitting in the snow in the valley, the only thing we can hope for is a SLOW melt with ZERO rain. Situation is bleek, but there's still a lot that needs to happen before the world ends. It never hurts to be prepared though. Either way, we're in for a wild ride again. I'm sorry for all of you who are at risk, best of luck.

FGON8.SSTG.exceed.90day.gif

I sat through a NOHRSC (National Operational Hyrdrologic Remote Sensing Center) discussion about a month ago, they said flooding was almost a certainty, now the situation is even worse. There's another presentation today in Bismarck, I'll probably sit in on too. There's a general 5-6" of water sitting in the snow in the valley, the only thing we can hope for is a SLOW melt with ZERO rain. Situation is bleek, but there's still a lot that needs to happen before the world ends. It never hurts to be prepared though. Either way, we're in for a wild ride again. I'm sorry for all of you who are at risk, best of luck.

There is a lot more water in the snow in NE South Dakota than last year and this is what is going to be a big factor along with the temps which for March is going to be average to below average. But all we need is a big blizzard or ice storm to sink Fargo.

True, it's hard to put much stock in long range models, but it would seem that it won't be warming up for a while anyway. The stage is set, we'll have to see how it plays out. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

It's sad that a diversion and/or much more extensive dike system isn't already in place and won't be for 5+ years.

It's sad that a diversion and/or much more extensive dike system isn't already in place and won't be for 5+ years.

According to Fargo Mayor Dennis Walaker a diversion won't be completed for 10 years. This is our 3rd 500 year flood in 13 years. How many times do we have to do this in the next 10 years.

According to Fargo Mayor Dennis Walaker a diversion won't be completed for 10 years. This is our 3rd 500 year flood in 13 years. How many times do we have to do this in the next 10 years.

That's why I just told my wife when we box things up this time, make sure there is a moving truck in the driveway as well! Enough is enough...especially when you are dealing with kids 4-9 years old.

And before that, the Devil's Lake Basin will be flowing into the Sheyenne, making the situation worse.

Can someone refresh my memory on why Fargo-Moorhead doesn't have a dike/diversion plan in place after what happened in GF 13 years ago?

And before that, the Devil's Lake Basin will be flowing into the Sheyenne, making the situation worse.

Can someone refresh my memory on why Fargo-Moorhead doesn't have a dike/diversion plan in place after what happened in GF 13 years ago?

I guess we had to wait in line since other towns got the worst of it in 1997, while we were lucky. Our luck almost ran out last year, hopefully we are lucky again.

Something really does need to get done, of course with the small towns whining about it, it just keeps on getting slowed. Dilworth's mayor is ridiculous, with his not in my backyard attitude, he needs to wake up and realize that if Fargo floods his bedroom community will be greatly affected.

Dilworth's mayor is ridiculous, with his not in my backyard attitude, he needs to wake up and realize that if Fargo floods his bedroom community will be greatly affected.

His agruement that a MN diversion would stunt the growth and developement of Dilworth is so pathetic it's not even humerous. Small town political pin-head!

His agruement that a MN diversion would stunt the growth and developement of Dilworth is so pathetic it's not even humerous. Small town political pin-head!

Unfortunately these idiots have Colin Peterson backing them up. Peterson has a lot of seniority which equals power in DC. Every engineering study done shows a MN diversion as making much more sense. Peterson's best argument was a ND diversion will "only" cost 200 or 300 more million. What's a few hundred million here or there.

I am glad I moved to West Fargo last May.

Just bought my flood insurance. I'm a 'preferred risk' so it only cost $326. I just hope if it's going to flood, it holds off for at least 30 days. :silly:

Climatologically the crest isn't until 1/3 the way through April roughly, assuming you're in the FM area. I'm sure you already saw the article though:

Linky

There was a webinar hosted by the NWS today I listened in on, Fargo has a 30-40% chance of reaching 1997 levels and 20% chance of reaching 2009 levels. Sounds like major flooding throughout most of the midwest as well. Crazy, yet unfortunate, weather pattern we got sucked into this winter... again...

If we survive this spring, I might join you!

My family moved there in Summer of 08. They seem to enjoy it, flooding isn't a huge issue, WF takes waaaay better care of their roads (as far as sanding and plowing). You're close to the "shopping district" with tons of restaurants and bars at your disposal. I believe property taxes are lower and they're building new a lot of new homes. It seems everytime go back to visit Fargo i see 48 new apartment buildings.

Unfortunately these idiots have Colin Peterson backing them up. Peterson has a lot of seniority which equals power in DC. Every engineering study done shows a MN diversion as making much more sense. Peterson's best argument was a ND diversion will "only" cost 200 or 300 more million. What's a few hundred million here or there.

I am glad I moved to West Fargo last May.

Here's the Wall Street Journal's take on it.

Linky

And I would guess your opposition isn't just east of the Red.

Climatologically the crest isn't until 1/3 the way through April roughly, assuming you're in the FM area. I'm sure you already saw the article though:

Linky

There was a webinar hosted by the NWS today I listened in on, Fargo has a 30-40% chance of reaching 1997 levels and 20% chance of reaching 2009 levels. Sounds like major flooding throughout most of the midwest as well. Crazy, yet unfortunate, weather pattern we got sucked into this winter... again...

My house is in Grand Forks but I'm working in the Cinicinatti area right now. My son and his gf check on the house when they're in town for a hockey game but who knows what is going to happen. I'll be home for a few days before heading to the F5 and will try to take some precautions but if it hits there's very little I can do. I didn't refinish the basement after 1997. I only had the house for 10 months and didn't want to borrow any more money. So I have enough insurance to fix the electrical stuff and replace the furnace, central air, w/d, etc. The clean up, if needed, will be the issue. I know we're suppose to be safe but I trust more in the powers of Mother Nature than man.

Cinicinatti is getting a record amount of snow this year as is everywhere else! It freezes than thaws. The ground gets really wet and mushy. When I took my dog for a walk a couple of weeks ago, I had to stay on the street. My boots were almost sucked off by the mush! I felt like I was in a swamp. It's been frozen for about a week now but warm weather yesterday and today will create some thaw and more mushy ground. I heard there's another storm coming....

Just bought my flood insurance. I'm a 'preferred risk' so it only cost $326. I just hope if it's going to flood, it holds off for at least 30 days. :D

Thats what I paid. Mine takes effect March 11th and seems like this march is supposed to be normal to below normal temps so a thaw isn't going to be until April.

• 2 weeks later...

NWS just gave updated forecast for '10 flooding. Little better outlook than 2 weeks ago.

In Fargo, 50% chance to reach 38 ft. (which frankly is not much to worry about) and 10% chance to reach 42 ft. Now we got issues!!! :huh: