SiouxSports.com Forum

2010-2011 Season

sioux2013

Koch, UNI down N. Dakota

North Dakota, in just its third year as a Division I program, traverses the nation throughout its basketball schedule, flying to far-flung locales like Newark, N.J., and Orem, Utah.

Saturday the Fighting Sioux went to great lengths to post a road win in the Cedar Valley. Alas, the Northern Iowa Panthers rarely play the role of hospitable hosts these days, and were especially ornery Saturday night, dealing the Sioux a 65-52 defeat.

With the win, UNI (2-2) extended its home-court winning streak to 17 games, matching a school-record set back in 1965.

Jake Koch poured in a game-high 20 points, including 19 in the second half, to pace UNI. The hosts also out-rebounded North Dakota, 35-24.

Rebounding seems to be a continuing issue. The Sioux are a young team. Hopefully this will turn around with age and experience.

If winning was "everything" we wouldn't have done Division I. We were winning, a lot, back in the old days. Its not about winning its about money.

You have missed my point. My comment was on the coaches' post-game quotes, particularly Jones and Mussman, and their satisfaction in playing hard. "Everything" is a figure of speech and a quote from Vince Lombardi. Contentment with a good effort is not enough.

The team has been doing a little bit better in the turnover area so far this season compared to last season, problem is that they are still forcing fewer turnovers. And we've actually outrebounded 3 of 5 opponents except for UNI and Wisconsin who are the best we've played thus far.

This is a young team and consistency is going to be a problem. Mitchell is very important to the success or lack-thereof this season IMO. He got off to a nice start, but really struggled against IPFW and UNI. It also hurts that Clausen has been injured. With a healthy Clausen and an effective Mitchell, I think UND beats IPFW, and probably makes it alot more interesting against UNI than it was.

Huff also got off to a fast start but has struggled the last 3 games. I expect that from a true freshman. From what I've seen I think this team has the potential to give good teams some fits on nights where Mitchell and Huff play well.

To the best of my knowledge, UND hasn't gotten a single double-figures scoring game from a member of the red-shirt sophomore class yet this year. By comparison, the three true freshmen have each had multiple double-figures games. There are a lot of scholarships tied up in the sophomore class. Needless to say, production needs to be better than what it's been so far.

To the best of my knowledge, UND hasn't gotten a single double-figures scoring game from a member of the red-shirt sophomore class yet this year. By comparison, the three true freshmen have each had multiple double-figures games. There are a lot of scholarships tied up in the sophomore class. Needless to say, production needs to be better than what it's been so far.

Season is still young for the red-shirt sophomore class. I havent looked at any stats but I would say the true freshmen have taken the majority of the shots, some good and alot of forced shots. I would like to see the true freshmen kick the ball when they drive when they have 2-3 defenders on them. I cant hardly recall them kicking the ball to an open guy this year when they drive. Too many bad shots over the timber underneath. They need to locate Mitchell when then drive cause he is open.

Season is still young for the red-shirt sophomore class. I havent looked at any stats but I would say the true freshmen have taken the majority of the shots, some good and alot of forced shots. I would like to see the true freshmen kick the ball when they drive when they have 2-3 defenders on them. I cant hardly recall them kicking the ball to an open guy this year when they drive. Too many bad shots over the timber underneath. They need to locate Mitchell when then drive cause he is open.

The true freshmen have an ability to drive and penetrate, which has been sorely lacking in the past few years. Last year most offensive sets seemed to end in a turnover or a poor shot. Would rather have an a forced shot from aggressiveness than some of the passiveness seen last year.

The true freshmen have an ability to drive and penetrate, which has been sorely lacking in the past few years. Last year most offensive sets seemed to end in a turnover or a poor shot. Would rather have an a forced shot from aggressiveness than some of the passiveness seen last year.

Agree 100% with their ability to drive on anyone, but when several defenders collapse on them they need to realize this and find the wide open teammate. At this point the defense is in a scramble mode and thats when we can get easier shots. Hopefully thru coaching and experience this will improve. They are only 5 games out of high school and lhave already done things this year we never saw all of last year.

Northern Iowa just beat the 6-0 Iowa State by 6 last night at UNI. That just shows we are not that far from being a very good team with so many young players. If not for about 5 minutes in our game with UNI we could have won that game. Go Sioux

Please, lets not compare how bad we lost to how bad others lost to teams we both play. To anyone who knows anything about sports, common opponents and comparing scores means nothing. If you think us losing by 15 and Iowa St. losing by 6 means we'd only lose to Iowa St. by 9, that's nonsense.

We have a lot of work to do and a long way to go. Lets just keep playing, dig in and watch them become what they will become.

• Upvote 1

Please, lets not compare how bad we lost to how bad others lost to teams we both play. To anyone who knows anything about sports, common opponents and comparing scores means nothing. If you think us losing by 15 and Iowa St. losing by 6 means we'd only lose to Iowa St. by 9, that's nonsense.

We have a lot of work to do and a long way to go. Lets just keep playing, dig in and watch them become what they will become.

I don't disagree with you - that is why I prefaced my comment by saying we have a long way to go! My primary point was that Wisconsin is damn good based upon how bad they kicked NC St.

• 2 weeks later...

I played a lot of basketball growing up and have watched intently for many years. Bottom line - I think I have a pretty good knowledge of the game. I am pleased that we are no longer running the Princeton offense and I'm glad that we are running more than the last couple of years. However, I am really curious if someone explain how UND's offense is supposed to work.

It appears that it starts about 30 feet from the basket. There are many soft screens at the perimeter with the defender easily able to get through the screen or the defenders can switch quite easily . The ballhandler utilizes the screen and gets a little closer to the basket but he is picked up immediately so he passes to someone who is back 28-30 feet from the basket. The ball movement isn't too bad but it doesn't seem be designed to attack the basket or even set up a good 3 point opportunity. What usually happens is one of the freshmen makes a solo move to the basket (I like their aggressiveness) or someone puts up a 25 footer when the clock is about to expire. Can someone explain to me how this offense is supposed to work?

This question isn't necessarily meant to be negative.

Is Haugen not getting many minutes due to sickness or injury, or is it just due to coach's decision?

GF Herald

UND received 39 points off its bench. But the Sioux were without two players, Mitch Wilmer and Nick Haugen. Wilmer, who had his best game against NDSU, injured his wrist against the Bison and his return is unknown.

I played a lot of basketball growing up and have watched intently for many years. Bottom line - I think I have a pretty good knowledge of the game. I am pleased that we are no longer running the Princeton offense and I'm glad that we are running more than the last couple of years. However, I am really curious if someone explain how UND's offense is supposed to work.

It appears that it starts about 30 feet from the basket. There are many soft screens at the perimeter with the defender easily able to get through the screen or the defenders can switch quite easily . The ballhandler utilizes the screen and gets a little closer to the basket but he is picked up immediately so he passes to someone who is back 28-30 feet from the basket. The ball movement isn't too bad but it doesn't seem be designed to attack the basket or even set up a good 3 point opportunity. What usually happens is one of the freshmen makes a solo move to the basket (I like their aggressiveness) or someone puts up a 25 footer when the clock is about to expire. Can someone explain to me how this offense is supposed to work?

if you care to get an opinion from an outsider, i would say you guys run the most ineffective screens i have ever seen

if you care to get an opinion from an outsider, i would say you guys run the most ineffective screens i have ever seen

I dont disagree with you but again I think it will take some time. You've got to remember alot of the time we have 4 freshman on the floor and considering each one has probably never set many screens in high school. These guys (Huff,Anderson, Schuler,Brekke,Webb) were always the ones getting screens set for them and they would roll off these screens and shoot. Now they are being the screener and obviously do not understand the fundamentals of setting good screens. Also, our bodies aren't big enough to force the defenders out far enough to be effective. Hopefully this also will come with experience and bigger bodies on the floor.

If you listen to the broadcasts this year, you will hear visits with assitant coach Moody and he will talk about what they are trying to do. This screen and roll & reverse offense is being used by alot of teams including Jake's N. Iowa team. If you look at a game such as Mayville St where they came out to guard near the midcourt stripe...the screens are going to occur that much farther away from the arc, but against Sac St. the screens were right on the wings right on the arc. From the interviews the offense is designed to create driving opportunities for those using the screen, but also it allows for us to free up the player with the ball to get the ball reversed and the defense to shift. The screener like a Pat Mitchell should open up from time to time on the roll allowing him some open jump shots. You need some of your 3 and 4's & 5's who set the screens to be threats as good shooters. Are they? The verdict is still out. The guards have been taking advantage of the screens by getting alot of drives...sometimes they need to drive and pass though as the defense slides to help. (this hasn't been happening as guys like Anderson & Huff sometimes try to force their own shot) We want drive and pass opportunities out of this offense, along with finishes at the basket.

If you listen to the broadcasts this year, you will hear visits with assitant coach Moody and he will talk about what they are trying to do. This screen and roll & reverse offense is being used by alot of teams including Jake's N. Iowa team. If you look at a game such as Mayville St where they came out to guard near the midcourt stripe...the screens are going to occur that much farther away from the arc, but against Sac St. the screens were right on the wings right on the arc. From the interviews the offense is designed to create driving opportunities for those using the screen, but also it allows for us to free up the player with the ball to get the ball reversed and the defense to shift. The screener like a Pat Mitchell should open up from time to time on the roll allowing him some open jump shots. You need some of your 3 and 4's & 5's who set the screens to be threats as good shooters. Are they? The verdict is still out. The guards have been taking advantage of the screens by getting alot of drives...sometimes they need to drive and pass though as the defense slides to help. (this hasn't been happening as guys like Anderson & Huff sometimes try to force their own shot) We want drive and pass opportunities out of this offense, along with finishes at the basket.

Very good observation and I agree. Anderson, Huff and Webb need to kick the ball more. The screen allows them to penetrate on anyone guarding them but rarely and I mean rarely do they kick the ball. This is why we have games of 5 and 6 assists. I see guys standing wide open on the wings and the pt guards shoot the ball with 2-3 guys on them. This has been an issue of mine all year. Anderson has been block so many times trying to shoot over guys a foot taller than him. Most of our shots are coming from our point guards which is kinda strange. Our shooters need more shots to build confidence. Mitchell is not getting enough shots as well as others. They are young and hopefully thru coaching and experience this will improve.

• 2 weeks later...