SiouxSports.com Forum

Underclassmen

UND Fan

It has been mentioned here that a couple of redshirt freshmen have been seeing quite a bit of playing time on the OL. I assume that would be Lynch and Gillson, correct? Any observations on how well they have performed?

What other non-starting freshmen or sophomores (who didn't play much last year) other than Mersereau, Kudrna, Chris Anderson and Benjamin have seen much action? Anyone stand out?

How much has McKendry played in recent weeks?

It has been mentioned here that a couple of redshirt freshmen have been seeing quite a bit of playing time on the OL. I assume that would be Lynch and Gillson, correct? Any observations on how well they have performed?

What other non-starting freshmen or sophomores (who didn't play much last year) other than Mersereau, Kudrna, Chris Anderson and Benjamin have seen much action? Anyone stand out?

How much has McKendry played in recent weeks?

On the OL, McGurran has started all year at center, and Lynch has played a lot in place of Keller at guard. I'm not sure whether Lynch's play has been entirely a result of Keller's injuries, or whether he has simply played his way into a fairly significant role. Gillson has played very little to the best of my knowledge. I don't think McKendry has played much of late.

In addition to the ones you mention, another non-starting underclassmen who didn't play much, if at all last year but who has looked good is Goska. Also, I believe Justin Belotti has played a fair amount when healthy, and Wisthoff and Hendrickson have played some, also.

On the OL, McGurran has started all year at center, and Lynch has played a lot in place of Keller at guard. I'm not sure whether Lynch's play has been entirely a result of Keller's injuries, or whether he has simply played his way into a fairly significant role. Gillson has played very little to the best of my knowledge. I don't think McKendry has played much of late.

In addition to the ones you mention, another non-starting underclassmen who didn't play much, if at all last year but who has looked good is Goska. Also, I believe Justin Belotti has played a fair amount when healthy, and Wisthoff and Hendrickson have played some, also.

Thanks for the insight - I guess I had thought that there were two OL red-shirt freshmen (other than McGurran) that were playing a lot recently. I probably misunderstood.

I believe Gillson saw his first extensive playing time of the year in the UC-Davis game and I have heard that he has really come on since the start of the season. It will be interesting to see if he gets more PT this week.

Another young player worth mentioning is RFr. punter Brett Cameron. He has punted 10 times this year and has a 44.9 average per punt.

I believe Gillson saw his first extensive playing time of the year in the UC-Davis game and I have heard that he has really come on since the start of the season. It will be interesting to see if he gets more PT this week.

Another young player worth mentioning is RFr. punter Brett Cameron. He has punted 10 times this year and has a 44.9 average per punt.

I had forgotten about Cameron - I know he has a great leg. Has he been able to speed up/shorten his steps prior to kicking the ball? If he gets that mastered, it sure appears we will have a great punter for the next three years. Plus, if Miller is as good as advertised, our kicking game should be in very good shape!

RD17 - I know you are very informed - two other quick questions for you:

Do you know how the coaching staff feels recruiting is progressing? Do you know if there are any commitments other than the two we know about?

Is there a reason the Wildcat formation disappeared from our offensive playbook? I don't necessarily like it but I am surprised that it was totally abandoned. I am sure that Sutton's injury played a part.

One last one: Is Josh Murray in school and expected back next year?

Thanks!

I had forgotten about Cameron - I know he has a great leg. Has he been able to speed up/shorten his steps prior to kicking the ball? If he gets that mastered, it sure appears we will have a great punter for the next three years. Plus, if Miller is as good as advertised, our kicking game should be in very good shape!

RD17 - I know you are very informed - two other quick questions for you:

Do you know how the coaching staff feels recruiting is progressing? Do you know if there are any commitments other than the two we know about?

Is there a reason the Wildcat formation disappeared from our offensive playbook? I don't necessarily like it but I am surprised that it was totally abandoned. I am sure that Sutton's injury played a part.

One last one: Is Josh Murray in school and expected back next year?

Thanks!

I have not heard much on the recruiting front other than the couple of commits that have been noted so far. I also have not heard anything on Murray's status... it would be great to combine him and Sutton in the backfield next year if Murray can get eligible.

I'm guessing the Wildcat went away when Goska became more involved. If you have a great running QB you can put in the game, might as well utilize his abilities and also present a passing threat to the defense.

I took a quick look at the roster... there are 17 players from last year's recruiting class (15 Rfr. and 2 true sophomores). Seven of them are on the 2-deep offensively (four have started), three more (Benjamin, Brenneman, Watkins) are significant contributors on defense, Mersereau (fastest player on the team) is now the main punt returner, Cameron the part-time punter, and linebacker Jay Nelson is on the travel roster. Of the four that haven't played much, two of them are the third and fourth string quarterbacks (Nichols and Hendrickson).

Although it has been a down year, to me the fact that so many young guys are good enough to see significant playing time this year is a very good sign. Imagine this class as seniors the first year UND is playoff eligible!

I have not heard much on the recruiting front other than the couple of commits that have been noted so far. I also have not heard anything on Murray's status... it would be great to combine him and Sutton in the backfield next year if Murray can get eligible.

Sutton-Marcus Binns should be a very nice combo if Murray's career is over. I'm excited to see what some of the red-shirt skill position kids can do next year--Binns, Hardin, Townsend, etc. I've also noticed that a receiver by the name of Chris Roach, who is evidently either a walk-on or a transfer, has been named offensive scout player of the week twice.

Sutton-Marcus Binns should be a very nice combo if Murray's career is over. I'm excited to see what some of the red-shirt skill position kids can do next year--Binns, Hardin, Townsend, etc. I've also noticed that a receiver by the name of Chris Roach, who is evidently either a walk-on or a transfer, has been named offensive scout player of the week twice.

Yes, I noticed that about Roach as well... the roster says he is from Washington D.C. Does anyone know who is he and how he ended up at UND?

One of the biggest keys to coming out of the transition with a playoff ready team will be the development of the linebackers that are currently redshirting. With only three linebackers total between the sophomore and redshirt freshman classes, the guys redshirting now almost have to be impact players by 2011 for the defense to be effective. That's asking a lot.

UND should be fine next year as the four junior linebackers on the team (Kasowski, Dublanko, German, Cochran) are each among the top nine tacklers this season. In fact, with the development of Dublanko and Kasowski over the last few games, I'm optimistic that UND could have its best defense overall since the 2006 season next year. There are likely to be seven senior starters (the four linebackers, a great NT in Boyle, and Schwenzfeier/Ankenbauer at safety) plus four experienced CB's and at least three underclassmen that have seen significant time on the defensive line. If any of the linebackers and defensive linemen that are currently redshirting are able to add talent and depth, the 2010 UND defense should be much improved over this year.

Yes, I noticed that about Roach as well... the roster says he is from Washington D.C. Does anyone know who is he and how he ended up at UND?

One of the biggest keys to coming out of the transition with a playoff ready team will be the development of the linebackers that are currently redshirting. With only three linebackers total between the sophomore and redshirt freshman classes, the guys redshirting now almost have to be impact players by 2011 for the defense to be effective. That's asking a lot.

Would love to get some insight from anyone who has any on the progress of the freshman class. I think the linebackers are the most interesting group in the class. Mussman talked early about pulling the redshirt on Bennett, and Goodman was heavily recruited out of Californina. I believe Finley was a Rivals "two star" recruit despite playing only a couple years of high school ball. IFIRC he's got good speed. Jay Nelson, who's a RS freshman, was talked up by Mussman earlier and certainly brings a lot of size to the position. A lot of potential in that group.

The most worrisome position to me is WR. Obviously, Bamba has talent but we didn't seem to have much else to go to, especially later in the year. Mussman has spoken well of Chris Anderson in the past, but he's frequently been injured and had very few catches this year, IFRC. Teams appeared to have decided they could use tight man coverage and jam our receivers on the line, and I don't think we had many receivers who could defeat that coverage. Hopefully, Hardin and Roach have something to contribute, but I wouldn't mind seeing a quality JUCO WR in the recruiting class.

Would love to get some insight from anyone who has any on the progress of the freshman class. I think the linebackers are the most interesting group in the class. Mussman talked early about pulling the redshirt on Bennett, and Goodman was heavily recruited out of Californina. I believe Finley was a Rivals "two star" recruit despite playing only a couple years of high school ball. IFIRC he's got good speed. Jay Nelson, who's a RS freshman, was talked up by Mussman earlier and certainly brings a lot of size to the position. A lot of potential in that group.

The most worrisome position to me is WR. Obviously, Bamba has talent but we didn't seem to have much else to go to, especially later in the year. Mussman has spoken well of Chris Anderson in the past, but he's frequently been injured and had very few catches this year, IFRC. Teams appeared to have decided they could use tight man coverage and jam our receivers on the line, and I don't think we had many receivers who could defeat that coverage. Hopefully, Hardin and Roach have something to contribute, but I wouldn't mind seeing a quality JUCO WR in the recruiting class.

I agree with the WR concern. I had hoped that Heimler would be a major contributor. He was highly recruited out of WS - almost as highly recruited as Kole Heckendorf, the excellent NDSU receiver out of WS. Maybe he will still contribute. There is no question that Bamba would be much more dangerous if we had another couple of talented receivers on the field.

I agree with the WR concern. I had hoped that Heimler would be a major contributor. He was highly recruited out of WS - almost as highly recruited as Kole Heckendorf, the excellent NDSU receiver out of WS. Maybe he will still contribute. There is no question that Bamba would be much more dangerous if we had another couple of talented receivers on the field.

WR is a funny position in the sense that sometimes a guy like Bamba comes along and can play at a high level right out of the gate while other recruits that appear to be busts early on just take more time to develop and they become impact players later in their careers. Often times its the bigger receivers like Daggett and Heimler that fall into this category. Hopefully they both can still develop into productive players.

I do really wonder what the deal is with Chris Anderson. He has been talked up going way back to his redshirt season under Lennon and yet he has had virtually no impact. Seems strange that the coaches would talk so highly of a player that never seems to be part of the game plan.

Although WR is definitely a concern right now, I'm fairly confident that the coaching staff will be able to find some guys that can play as the recruiting base expands. There are many WR type athletes in CA and TX and all it takes is two or three goods ones to be pretty formidable. I'm much more concerned about the future LB and OL from a talent standpoint because it takes more volume at those positions and more time to build depth.

Although it would be a short-term solution at best since he only has one more year of eligibility, I'd like to see Davis moved to receiver in spring ball. I think he'd have a much better chance to contribute there than at running back.

Agreed... especially if Binns is as advertised and/or Murray becomes eligible again. Davis would be buried on the depth chart at RB under those circumstances.

I've heard great things about Blair Townsend from Coon Rapids. He was recruited as a QB/athlete but my understanding is that his athletic ability will be best served at WR. Ironically enough, the fightingsioux.com roster has his jersey number as 86 and his position as QB. Maybe a sign that he will ultimately be a WR for sure? He will be a big difference-maker at whichever position he is used at. I also have heard that Greg Hardin has potential to be an immediate contributor. Probably more of a "scatty" slot guy with his size and speed. Excited about those two.

No doubt that Chris Anderson, Drew Daggett and Jon Heimler all need to step up this spring so they are ready to contribute next fall.

Last year's recruiting class is filled with tons of great athletes. Hopefully they evolve into great college football players in the next couple years.

WR is a funny position in the sense that sometimes a guy like Bamba comes along and can play at a high level right out of the gate while other recruits that appear to be busts early on just take more time to develop and they become impact players later in their careers. Often times its the bigger receivers like Daggett and Heimler that fall into this category. Hopefully they both can still develop into productive players. ...

Agree that UND, before the DI move at least, seem to produce a new go-to guy every year, usually an upper classmen who seems to have solidified his blocking skills and learned the finer points of running good routes. It would be great if a bigger guy, like Daggett, could fill that role next year, but I wonder if the defensive speed at FCS nullifies that pattern. Agree also that Davis would look good as a receiver. He didn't seem to have the strength to run in traffic but he looked elusive when he got out with a little space. As I recall, he was supposed to have good hands when he came in.

I forgot about Townsend. I've heard coaches say he was going to be a "good one" at receiver. I was pretty impressed with his HS quarterbacking as well. I believe he ran a spread offense of some variation in high school. He was named the offensive MVP at Minnesota's All State/All Star/Whatever game last summer after he threw and ran for a ton of yards. I suppose his ultimate position could change depending on future recruiting/retention.

I've heard great things about Blair Townsend from Coon Rapids. He was recruited as a QB/athlete but my understanding is that his athletic ability will be best served at WR. Ironically enough, the fightingsioux.com roster has his jersey number as 86 and his position as QB. Maybe a sign that he will ultimately be a WR for sure? He will be a big difference-maker at whichever position he is used at. I also have heard that Greg Hardin has potential to be an immediate contributor. Probably more of a "scatty" slot guy with his size and speed. Excited about those two.

No doubt that Chris Anderson, Drew Daggett and Jon Heimler all need to step up this spring so they are ready to contribute next fall.

Last year's recruiting class is filled with tons of great athletes. Hopefully they evolve into great college football players in the next couple years.

Good to hear that a couple of those freshmen receivers may be able to contribute early. Townsend could turn out to be quite a recruiting steal, IMO. I believe he attended camps at UND and the Coon Rapids connection had to have helped in recruiting him.

I have heard the same thing in regards to the 2009 recruiting class, just not a lot of specifics on individual players. If this class is comparable to (or better than) the 2008 class, the foundation should be laid nicely to come out of the transition with a team capable of playing at a high level.

This is why are scout teams sometimes handles the number #1's. There have been more scuffles between the scouts and the starters then in years past. The group that is red-shirted are going to be fun to watch. We are on the right track, just takes some time.

This is why are scout teams sometimes handles the number #1's. There have been more scuffles between the scouts and the starters then in years past. The group that is red-shirted are going to be fun to watch. We are on the right track, just takes some time.

This is fun to hear. I am glad the coaches had patience with these freshmen and knew that even though they would be able to help this year, we are looking long term. And kudos to the freshmen for having to patience to wait it out. I am confident the coahces will have another solid year recruiting this year as we already have what sounds like two very good verbals and I'm sure quite a few offers out there to other players to join the underclassmen as we build for the future.

That is very good to hear. Do you know who else, other than those mentioned, appears to be the most likely to contribute over the next couple of years?

That is very good to hear. Do you know who else, other than those mentioned, appears to be the most likely to contribute over the next couple of years?

Haven't heard a whole lot about the young o-line, but I forgot to mention the great reviews I have heard about the freshman OL, Joe Kleason from CDH. Apparently the coaches love his potential. I have to imagine he will be in the mix next fall as a freshman. Maybe not starting right away, but pushing for playing time at the least.

Haven't heard anything about Doehling, Field, Hoerchner or the two Nelsons, who are all redshirts this year. Hopefully there is some promise in that group too. With Koelln, Keller and Bondy all graduating this year, and Bakke apparently having to hang it up for medical reasons, we are going to be awfully young next season on the o-line depth chart. Both scary and exciting at the same time.

He must really be something... either that or the SID is forgetting to update this part of the game notes each week. :)

I have tried to google Roach to learn something about him but had no luck. Anyone know anything about him - size, speed, etc.? The roster indicates that he is a freshman - I assume that is correct.