SiouxSports.com Forum

BTHC - Alvarez and OSU want to make it happen?

star2city

If USC, Florida and Texas wanted to join the Big Ten, I think they would make it work.

"Big dogs" in desitination conferences? I wouldn't expect them to move.

Because the potentials are *not* "big dogs" is the reason why a more measured approach is called for.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ACC made too many strategic errors by adding three at once - making the whole expansion a fiasco. The ACC is no where near where they expected to be as a 12-team league: their championship game draws flies, their football is subpar (Miami, Flor St, Clemson, Va all went south simultaneously). The Big Ten will be conservative - they always have been - and add one. Adding three is too many mouths to feed without understanding how 12 will play out.

It would also be surprising to me if the Big 10 goes beyond 12, but according to the Chicago Tribune, sources inside the league are saying that the league is looking at going to 14 or even 16 members.

There is also an additional Chicago Tribune article that handicaps the possible expansion candidates.

All in all, I think the news that the Big 10 is looking at expanding makes it less likely that the league will have hockey anytime soon. Notre Dame is clearly not interested, and with none of the potential new members appearing close to adding varsity hockey, the numbers aren't there. I also find it doubtful that the league would add associate members to the mix in hockey when the league could be politically unstable immediately following expansion (especially if 3+ new members are added).

It would also be surprising to me if the Big 10 goes beyond 12, but according to the Chicago Tribune, sources inside the league are saying that the league is looking at going to 14 or even 16 members.

There is also an additional Chicago Tribune article that handicaps the possible expansion candidates.

All in all, I think the news that the Big 10 is looking at expanding makes it less likely that the league will have hockey anytime soon. Notre Dame is clearly not interested, and with none of the potential new members appearing close to adding varsity hockey, the numbers aren't there. I also find it doubtful that the league would add associate members to the mix in hockey when the league could be politically unstable immediately following expansion (especially if 3+ new members are added).

IMHO, the Big Ten leaked an interest in "14 or 16" to ensure that the Big East and Big 12 have plans in order to respond to losses of teams. When the Big 10 takes only one, no one will complain. If the Big 10 really did take three or more, the Big East would likely lose it's BCS status, and the Big Ten would be sued to high heaven.

As far as Big Ten hockey, that train has been put on the tracks - barring a derailment of some kind it will happen.

IMHO, the Big Ten leaked an interest in "14 or 16" to ensure that the Big East and Big 12 have plans in order to respond to losses of teams. When the Big 10 takes only one, no one will complain. If the Big 10 really did take three or more, the Big East would likely lose it's BCS status, and the Big Ten would be sued to high heaven.

As far as Big Ten hockey, that train has been put on the tracks - barring a derailment of some kind it will happen.

Sued for taking three teams?

Come on.... :silly:

Sued for taking three teams?

Come on.... :silly:

You need to review the ACC raid on the Big East. There were several legal challenges that had occurred although if my memory was correct, they were settled out-of-court or at the local level. Boston College in particular comes to mind

As far as the Big Ten Hockey Conference, at this stage, just create it and be done with it as it would stop being a sword over everyone's head. There are positives and negatives to it but the worst situation is not knowing.

As far as the Big Ten Hockey Conference, at this stage, just create it and be done with it as it would stop being a sword over everyone's head. There are positives and negatives to it but the worst situation is not knowing.

Is this how you live life? Do you give up on all your beliefs just because you don't like "not knowing"? Fight for what you believe in and what YOU think should happen, whether it's the BTHC, the Sioux nickname, your president, religion, what have you. Once you've given it your all, you can be satisfied knowing you tried. There were Sioux hockey teams that weren't given a chance, but they didn't give in just to resolve the issue. They fought til the end and changed history in their favor.

I have to disagree with you. In most instances, there are negatives that come with not knowing. This is not one of those cases. The negatives only happen if it is created. Not knowing does nothing to us.

• 8 months later...

Devils Lake Journal: Indiana Looking at Big Ten Hockey?

Bit skeptical, but could Indiana somehow put together a DI team in the next five years?

Toronto Star

Penn State and Indiana?

Penn St. is starting a program in September 2011, Indiana University is considering doing the same and there’s hope that some of the 421 U.S. colleges that have club teams in the American College Hockey Association may consider converting those to full-scholarship, Division I programs.

The NCAA is part of its own problem. There are too many restrictions on players who may be considering both leagues. If a kid who spends virtually any amount of time with a CHL club is being denied NCAA membership, what good does it do for college hockey. Loosen up the restrictions a bit and let a kid who may "commit" to a CHL team, but doesn't receive any compensation for it be allowed to de-commit his CHL path and still join college hockey...much like what kids do in the other sense (de-commit from college and play CHL). If a kid receives any compensation, then he forfeits his eligibility.

That's not the entire problem, but it may help in the end.