SiouxSports.com Forum

Gopher/Sioux Post-Annihilation

jk

Not even I can think of anything good to say.  Actually, yes, at least I don't have to stay up late to watch the tape delay on FSN.  

Thankfully the Sioux got good goaltending so the game didn't end up in the record books in all sorts of scoring and victory margin categories.  

It's hard to tell who played well on the radio, but you can get a sense, like when a guy's name is mentioned and it's followed by "and it bounces off his stick" a lot, he probably didn't have a good game.  It seemed like one of the only guys I had the sense had a decent game was McMahon (and not just because he scored).

Poor dagies had to attend.  Ouch.

I really felt there was reason for optimism, at least for close games, as the Sioux hadn't been pounded in over three months.  Big wrong there.

Can they bounce back from this and be competetive Saturday?  I guess we'll see.

Did Spiewak even play tonight?  I listened to periods 2 & 3 and I swear his name wasn't mentioned even once.  He has to be the clear "winner" of DUD OF THE YEAR.  People were expecting big things from him...they were let down.

Skarp came through as usual.  MacMahon was the only other offensive player who got more than a couple chances.  Pathetic lack of effort and enthusiasm.  No, really.  Tim & Tim were saying those exact words.  No excuses!

Let the sackings begin.  Not Blais, of course.  I'm talking about players who show up to a do-or-die playoff series with nothing to offer.  Show 'em the door.

I'm just glad I was at the game and didn't stay up late to watch it at home.  My buddy and I decided it is probably best to watch a nasty game like this in person.  At home you can't scream and blow off steam quite as well.

Boy, this game sucked.  What good can you say of it?

Well, I did think McMahon had a heck of a game.  There's a player I think has really come on.  And it matters little to that assessment that he scored.  He was all over the ice, causing problems for the goofs, and I thought played very well.  Expect good things from him in the future because I do.   ;)

Kollar looked great in the 3rd, I thought.  Very quick and confident.  I hope that can carry over into tomorrow.  

I'm no goaltending expert, but I thought Siembida played all right too, but he got hung out to dry by porous D and some bad luck.

Seemed like the pucks were bouncing to the goofs the whole first half of the game.  Every bounce, carom, deflection went right onto a goofer stick.  You can't blame that all on bad luck, because effort and skill improve those chances.

Goofers move that puck with ease.  If it wasn't the hated goofs it would have been beautiful.

I thought the Sioux skated hard, but I didn't see the intensity.  Not much hitting at all.  And that surprised me because it looked like the team was really up during warm-ups and in the first minute of play.

The Sioux started taking the body a lot more after the timeout.  And in the 3rd period.  Maybe the goofs started sitting back but the Sioux were actually able to sustain a forecheck at times and create some chances.

Too many bad D plays.  And that is by the team, not just the D men.  Too many goofers let to skate between 2 guys unimpeeded, or Koalska left to skate around in front of the goalie at will.

This game provided many highlights that Fox Sports will use on goofer broadcasts for years.  Bastards.

Bad game all around. We're sitting in the top row, no one behind us and so we stand up.  A couple young goofer dorks started yelling at us from 10 rows in front of us that we should sit down since we were getting beat so badly.  Then one of the friendly fools decides to give himself some yucks by coming to stand behind us and say stuff like "Sioux Suck" and "Why do you guys drive all the way down here to get your asses whupped" and the really clever one "How does it feel to be shorter than a 15 year old".  After he came up a second time there was a long pause of a few minutes and I had to crack up when my buddy turns to him and says "What's the matter, did you run out of snappy one-liners?"

The Sioux really seemed to play less intense right after Canady got hurt.  Anybody know the nature of the injury.  He tried to take a shift after that but apparently this is not a Brian Gionta injury because he had to sit for the game.

Also, what caused the ugly scrum at the end of the game?  My buddy and I figure the goofs must have really said something because you don't see Bayda and Skarperud acting that way normally.

Bochenski needs the 4th line tomorrow.  Move up Masson.

What did Blais have to say after the game?:)?

Unfortunately I attended the game.  Total lack of effort, no heart, no discipline, no composure...especially by certain players.  It's games like this where you can really assess which players have character and which ones don't.  Bochenski didn't skate hard once in the 2nd or 3rd.  He completely lost his composure in the 3rd and basically became the laughing stock of the game.  The goofs were antagonizing him quite a bit, but that's no excuse for the lack of effort he put forth.  On the bright side, I was very impressed with Rory McMahon and Ryan Hale.  Both played extremely hard every shift, even after the game was out of reach.  The bottom line is that the Sioux were outmatched tonight, but they at least could have made a game out of it if they had played with any effort or heart.  Big disappointment.  Hopefully they can put forth a good effort tomorrow night and end the season on a positive note.

Disgusting, absof**kinglutely disgusting.  No desire to win, no heart, no sense of this is quite possibly the last chance you have to win and move forward.   Blais should just concede the next game and series and move on to next season.  I have never been so disgusted by such a pathetic, third rate performance in my life.  Stupid penalties, defense?, power play, offense ...  hello?  I am so pissed, I can't really stay on this board without throwing my computer through the wall ... :)

I must be a masochist because I'm watching the stupid thing anyway.  This says something about the brutal honesty of the Sioux announcing crew, but believe it or not it doesn't look quite as bad as they made it sound.  

Part of the problem is some of these Gopher players are so good.  Pohl's PP goal where he pops in the carom from behind the net - he one-timed the thing from a terrible angle into the top of the net - was one that almost no one else in the country could have converted.  Most everyone else would either have had to catch it first, giving the D and goalie time to cover, or would have missed the one-timer.

And what's with the Gophers getting seven consecutive PPs in the last half of the game?  Not that it mattered, but it still got a bit old.

dagies, the Tims said the end-of-game thing had to do with Ballard apparently doing some intent-to-injure stuff to Bayda at the Ralph.  They said Bayda had been chipping at Ballard all game long and would really have been pleased to have a go with him.

At least Bochenski's antics can give the Goofer faithful something to whine about, given that it is in their nature to whine and without a reason to they would be lost.

This team has shown tremendous talent-- taking the #1 team in the nation to task as recently as last week.  But, they have no leadership to drive them to the next level necessary for post season.  The Gophs are doing Dean a favor by exposing the true character weaknesses in this lineup.  He can make changes over the summer, and those that remain will have a strong memory of what it feels like to be humiliated over and over again.

Payback comes in two years for this young squad.  Meanwhile, let us take our beatings like proud Sioux.  It also helps to reflect on the generosity of Ralph and how nice it is to have 7 banners hanging from the rafters.

taz digs da Sioux

Taz,

Whine???  Sorry but everything said about Brandon was true.  I believe it was the two Tims who "whined" about some sort of conspiracy with the refs.  Maybe I am wrong though.

BTW I am not for ANYONE hurting anyone and you know that but dont blame Ballard for being ticked.  Remember it was he who was McSorleyed by Canaday at the Ralph...and he was also Bochenskied there as well.  He has issue with your team and likewise.

I just saw the end and it seemed rather mutual to me.

dagies...I SAW YOU!!  I was in 14 and kept waving to you cause you guys stood out (if that was you in like 15 or something).  If I would have known I would have said hi.

Look I am not trying to start problems here and if you like I wont post about this game again...but I take note of some of things said so far.

Oh well I will be there tomorrow...go Gophs :)

Handy, I was in section 15, top row.  I was wearing the old Sioux green road Jersey #87 on the back.  My buddy has the new black ice jersey.  I was looking around to see if I could pick you out but all I know about what to look for is a tiny picture of you with the POI group at one of your skates so really didn't know how to find you in real life.  Yes, we stood most of the game cause no one was behind us until the 3rd period.

If it was you yelling at me I probably thought it was the 15 year old idiot (see previous post) who thought it was funny to yell up at us and ask us why we were standing up.  

AS for the game, I didn't think Bochenski had a good game at all last night.  Like others I question his effort.  I have also not been happy with his stick swinging, but last night I saw none of that from him and I don't know why goofer fans are on him for last nights game.  He did take 3 penalties but they were of the tripping sort.

As for Ballard, I ask myself why he seems to be the target for many of the Sioux players.  I wonder if there is more to this than just hacking Sioux players.........

Only had tickets for last night so won't be there tonite.  Sorry to have missed you Handy.  I was actually looking around in 14 and 13 but really didn't know what to look for.  I did see the 2 guys in the yellow hockey helmuts. Were you there?

My wife and I watched the game last night and she made a few comments like are you going to keep watching the game. To the end I said. When the Sioux got the 6th goal scored on them she said this sucks @SS. I said that this is the last weekend of UND hockey for the Season. I am going to watch every stinking f'n minute they have left. I hope that blais showes some of these kids some film from the 1997 and 2000 teams. Show these guys what winning is all about, tradition, effort, heart.

This was a poor effort last night, all the way around. I think I know how to play the Gophers have them go on the Power PLay, they really shut that part of the game down. This could have been 12-2.

UND didn't move their feet, except for our goalie, Sievebida looked like he was nervous and needs to go see a sport Psychologist. Sievebida has Hauserits. Frankly Sievebida would be the first person I send down the road...

I had the opportunity to attend the game at the last minute, and then the "opportunity" to watch a good part of it at my favorite tavern with some Minnesota fans on the delay.  My original analysis still stands, these guys lacked the balls and heart to win.  McMahon and Kollar were really the players that seemed to have anything going.  Bochenski, Hale(s), Mazurak, Massen, etc. took the night off.  It's tough to play a team like Minnesota when most of your players are sitting on their butts in the sin bin or looking at the clock, again.  Grrr

The gophers played very good hockey, and well ... I've seen HS consolation bracket teams play with more drive than we showed.  Pathetic effort, and something had better happen today or it's going to get real ugly for the finale.

The day after assesment:

Goofs played a great game - overwhelmed UND and made them look stupid.  Blais' team had confidence heading into the game...perhaps that was their mistake.  

They should have come into town with a real sense of desperation and played MUCH HARDER.  The UND announcers were brutal in their description of how pathetic the mental and physical effort was.  They said the checking was weak and that Siembida was left hanging over and over.

The only players who got any praise were McMahon and Kollar.  I'd have to say Spiewak, Lundbohm, Bochenski, & R. Hale all let us down last night.  They were more or less unheard of all night.  Non-factors.

This season has been a huge disappointment.  I know Blais was expecting better things from these guys.  They failed to put it together, even after many of the fans kept the faith and preached patience.  Mine is worn out.  I hope Blais goes hard after some offensive recruits and replaces some of the kids who had less than 10 pt seasons.

I take all the Gopher yapping, including Handy's, concerning how glad they are not to have Bochenski to mean they really did want him, and feel better now that they're the better team with him at ND. It's their year for yapping, they better win it all or be ready to take some crap if they lose. SL is so full of himself it's hard to read his posts. Classless in victory, just as they are after years of defeat.

Ok please take this post as a nonflame attempt.  I am not trying to ruffle feathers.

You can have your opinions of The Gopher players and fans, but if you want to see classless, look at UND.  Do you wanna know why Mason called 7 straight penalties on your team?  CAUSE THEY EARNED THEM!!  Your young players are a bunch of hot heads who look to try and goat players to fight.  They cant keep up with the Gophs (or I shoudl say they havent been able to the last few games) so they use their stick.  Slash, hook, trip and lots of other stuff that goes uncalled.  How about your fans, lets see they threw crap on the ice at the New Ralph after the Gophs came back...CLASS!!  There were a couple fans who stayed to the end of the game yapping at Mason.  Yeah it was HIS fault you all lost...CLASS!!  

Or the best...Tim and Tim and their "Conspiracy to get UOFM into the Final Five" deal.  Class once again.

(I am not saying that the Gophs are ANY BETTER, I am just saying we are no worse.)

Look, I honestly dont care what you think of me at all.  I do my best to not fight but I will defend my team and it's fans.  I know that there are MANY Gopher fans who I dont associate with or agree with, just like there are many Sioux fans you guys dont like.  But this year I dont think Sioux fans have a right to criticize.  hat is just my humble opinion.

BTW...That McMahon (is it Rory) played very well.  His breakaway was sweet, and he beat Hauser who played the puck pretty well on that play.

Do you guys feel the Sioux will come out and play more defensive tonight?  Honest question.

As for BB, I dont think I ever posted I wanted him on the team.  I didnt know enough about him to warrant discussion really.  I can tell you I wasnt upset he went to the Sioux if that helps.

dagies,

The gold helmet guys are like 7 rows in front of me.  If you saw us do the butt dance, I was one of the peopkle in the group of two near the band.  If I would have known that was you I would have said hi.  

As for Ballard, could it be that he was on Omaha last year and all your plaers were on Lincoln?  Seems to be the only thing I can think of in that regards.  I am sure he does his fair share of stuff that I miss.

*blah, blah, blah* <snip>

For being someone not familiar with the game of hockey a few short years ago, you sure seem to have become quite the expert, especially concerning this rivalry. Just keep up the yapping. Unlike Gopher fans, we can take it. You'll get yours.

Hopefully for the Gophers' sake they win tonight, or the chances of a bye will go out the window. Without a bye, the chances of the Gophers even making it to St. Paul decrease dramatically.

BTW, why did you even come to this site today? I'm sure it had nothing to do with stirring the pot. Don't you and SL have some face painting to get done? There are fans that do that in Grand Forks, too, only they are mostly 11 & 12 year old girls.  :)

If I came to stir the pot dont you think I would have done a better job?  What did I say that was so bad?

So it isnt good to say the Sioux might be classless...but it is ok to say the Gophs are...I guess double standards are ok then.  

I dont paint my face.  I also dont wear wigs like the Sioux fans do...but thanks for playing.

I never said I was an expert when it came to the rivalry, I mentioned Ballard playing for Omaha who is a rival with Lincoln...is that what you meant?

Answer this, what is being saidby Gopher fans ANYWHERE that wouldn't be said by Sioux fans if they would have won, or have saidwhen they did win in the past.

Sorry to bug you guys I just wanted to have a discussion and I felt USCHO was to lame.  I didnt realize I would cause this much trouble.

What trouble? Do whatever you like? Continue to complain about Bo even after you win. And you can complain away here with little chance of an SCSU'er jumping in and causing a Goph/SC flame war that regularly occurs on USCHO.

I don't have a double standard. Only the Gophs are classless :)

Handy, I don't mind if you come here, as I am generally welcomed at POI.  But you have to know that stuff like this:

You can have your opinions of The Gopher players and fans, but if you want to see classless, look at UND.  Do you wanna know why Mason called 7 straight penalties on your team?  CAUSE THEY EARNED THEM!!  Your young players are a bunch of hot heads who look to try and goat players to fight.  They cant keep up with the Gophs (or I shoudl say they havent been able to the last few games) so they use their stick.  Slash, hook, trip and lots of other stuff that goes uncalled.  How about your fans, lets see they threw crap on the ice at the New Ralph after the Gophs came back...CLASS!!  There were a couple fans who stayed to the end of the game yapping at Mason.  Yeah it was HIS fault you all lost...CLASS!!  

...will not go over well.  I know you are just responding to statements you disagree with, but on the other Board you basically just have to read and turn the other cheek.  Do you think I want to respond every time smitty throws in his anti-Blais cheap shots on POI?  Yes.  (BTW, did Blais cut him off in traffic once, or what?)  But I just read past it.

And as to your points on class, you may not know that some observers consider the Gophers to be the worst in the league at after-the-whistle sticks and shoves - worse than Sconny.  I know Taffe has drawn kudos on some boards for his nastier persona this year.  That nastiness comes in the form of sticks and face rubs.

Funniest line last night:  After Skarperud got a boarding call for pounding Leopold on a good check with no elbows or stick, the Tims saw the replay and figured the penalty was "two minutes for checking Jordan Leopold."

Geez, once again jk comes in with what I wanted to say.

Handy, don't feel you are not welcome, but I was going to say what jk said.  You can't go into someone else's home and try to defend every slight that comes your way.  I remember very clearly how the POI tribe destroyed Kuhninca after the Sioux win at Mariucci this year because he was a little bit "in their face".  After a nasty loss people are sensitive and you have to lay a bit low.  I, like jk, see lots of stuff I would like to argue with ppl on POI about but most of the time lay off on that stuff, and stick to regular discussion type issues.

I still don't get what all the gopher fans are riled up about Bochenski last night.  So he pushed Hauser last night.  Criminy you would think he beheaded him the way they talk about him.  I really thought he kept the stick work to a minimum even if he didn't play the smartest game.

But anyway, tonite I expect to see one of 2 Sioux teams.

1.  Same as last night and basically mailing it in.

2.  Play a real physical game.  Lots of body, lots of checking.  Whether that will be enough to carry them through to a victory I don't know.  As Woog said, the danger is that you know that the Sioux didn't play well almost to a man last night.  If every one of the boys have a better game, they will be much more competitive.

And Woog also said the Gophers played almost as good as they possibly could, to a man.  So how many WON'T play as well tonite?:)?

We'll see in a couple hours.  My pride requires a win.

And as to your points on class, you may not know that some observers consider the Gophers to be the worst in the league at after-the-whistle sticks and shoves -

Not to mention Goph players yapping at opponents after they have a big lead. Absolute worst in the country for this.