SiouxSports.com Forum

New forums?

jimdahl

Question for the people who hang out in this forum -- is it time to break out more sports into their own forums?

Pro -- For example, if volleyball had its own forum, there could be threads on individual games/players/etc... instead of the current default of everything crammed into the volleyball thread.

Con -- If it's generally the same group of people interested in all non-revenue sports, more forums to check means having to spend more time to discover new discussions and a possibility of fewer people discovering any given thread.

I've previously thought the popularity hadn't yet reached the point where the pro outweighed the con, but thought it might be time to revisit that (plus wonder if individual forum might spur additional discussion, which has proven somewhat true in the basketball forums).

Jim, Have you thought of making new forums with like sports such as softball and baseball? or mens and women's swimming and diving or soccer and volleyball? It was just a thought that I had and I don't know if it would work to well.

Also, agreed-Women's hockey might need their own forum soon.

Perhaps a general rule might be, if a sport has shown that it can attract more than 500 fans, it should have it's own forum.

Perhaps a general rule might be, if a sport has shown that it can attract more than 500 fans, it should have it's own forum.

Yeah, I should have included that in my original question. Not just "is it time for more forums", but also "which sports get them"? Attendance might be a pretty good rule of thumb.

Maybe broadcast information is worthy of it's own forum? For instance what channel such and such a game is on, is there a webcast available for this roadgame or that one, etc. I know it's been a little worse than usual with this weeks Fox College Sports news, but still perhaps an opportunity to collapse discussions?

Maybe women's hockey if it ever takes off like it has the potential to. Possibly even volleyball too. I like the way the board is set up now, not too cluttered. I really don't see a need for softball, baseball, swimming, etc. to have their own forums. One forum that I would really like to see added is a "General College Sports" or "News About Other Schools" forum or something along those lines. Just a place to talk about what is going on in the top 25 of any sport at any level of college athletics, or regional schools that doesn't really have anything to do with North Dakota.

I really don't see a need for softball, baseball, swimming, etc. to have their own forums.

Definitely agree -- I wasn't thinking of 18 sports forums, I was wondering about 1 or 2 more. Women's hockey and volleyball do seem the two most likely candidates, in that order.

One forum that I would really like to see added is a "General College Sports" or "News About Other Schools" forum or something along those lines. Just a place to talk about what is going on in the top 25 of any sport at any level of college athletics, or regional schools that doesn't really have anything to do with North Dakota.

Huh. There is already plenty of that (GWFC, NDSU threads in the FB forum, Vikings threads in the community forum, etc...). Are you imagining requiring all of that to leave the UND sports forums for the "general sports" forum, or just adding the "general sports" forum as another option? I'd personally be a lot more comfortable with the latter -- letting people know they're welcome to discuss other sports topics, but not trying to move all the Gophers threads out of the hockey forum.

Definitely agree -- I wasn't thinking of 18 sports forums, I was wondering about 1 or 2 more. Women's hockey and volleyball do seem the two most likely candidates, in that order.

Huh. There is already plenty of that (GWFC, NDSU threads in the FB forum, Vikings threads in the community forum, etc...). Are you imagining requiring all of that to leave the UND sports forums for the "general sports" forum, or just adding the "general sports" forum as another option? I'd personally be a lot more comfortable with the latter -- letting people know they're welcome to discuss other sports topics, but not trying to move all the Gophers threads out of the hockey forum.

The latter. Unfortunately I feel that there are two factions of fans at SiouxSports.com: those that follow North Dakota, and those that follow North Dakota hockey. I wouldn't expect topics about the Gophers to leave the hockey forum, but for example, a General Sports Forum might be a more appropriate place for discussion about the future of the Alabama-Huntsville hockey program. It is afterall, a topic of interest to virtually all UND fans regardless of which sport is your favorite UND sport.

For instance, if someone like AZSIOUX (99% of his posts are in the hockey forum) sees in a "General Sports Forum" or "News About Other Schools Forum", that, hypothetically, there was a football game between Top 25 rated New Hampshire and Top 25 rated Holy Cross, he may take interest and fans that generally stay in the hockey forum may take interest in such a game, which would be played between two schools that compete at the same level as UND in not only hockey, but football as well.

The #1 biggest attraction to North Dakota moving to DI for me was to narrow the gap between UND Hockey and UND "everything else". Maine, New Hampshire, Northeastern, Colgate, Harvard, Princeton, Holy Cross, Cornell, Yale, etc.............all schools that play hockey, football, and basketball at the same level.

Aside from that, it would be fun to have designated place to discuss major college sports like the BCS (Florida v. Texas v. Oklahoma.......even Gopher football), March Madness of Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, etc..........even on a smaller scale there was a quite a bit of discussion last season on UM-Duluth's run to thte DII national championship last season that really didn't fit anywhere except the football forum, but to me UMD football isn't really a good fit in a UND football forum.

I completely agree with Bin. A General College Sports/General Sports forum would be great. Possibly even create more good discussions. I envision it to be mostly about the world of college sports in general with some PRO sports discussions thrown in. It would be fun to have threads on March Madness, Texas vs. TT fb, big Monday Night Football games. Maybe it would get a few more people to brows and participate in more of the forums. And having a place to discuss NCAA basketball Top 25, other conferences' standings, etc. might be a good way for the casual Sioux fan to learn more about the new world of DI.

I am one of a growing handful of people who like to closely follow the women's hockey program. I would love to see them get their own forum right under the men's. With the huge hockey fanbase and their hockey knowledge, alot more discussion may begin to happen with the women if they had a place of their own

The rest of the individual sports seem like they could continue as is for a while. Maybe look at splitting those as we get closer to the end of the transition.

Just some thoughts.

A place to talk about sports that aren't related to UND (pro sports, etc...) is a no-brainer; we started down that path a little when making the non-collegiate sports a subforum of community (though it was really a de facto high school sports forum). Making it a top-level forum and trying to bring pro/other college discussions into there should work. Combining the high school sports with other non-UND sports shouldn't be a problem now that most of the high school kids have moved on to the new ND high school web site, though we can always break them out again if it becomes too overwhelming.

However, I do remain somewhat resistant to forcing threads about other schools out of the primary sports forums. In contrast, the nickname/tickets forums were made so we could force talk on those topics out of the general sports forums; if a ticket thread pops up in the hockey forum we actually move it. For this, I would imagine encouraging people to visit the "other sports" forum by linking to the existing discussions there, rather than moving discussions that pop up elsewhere. Of course, seeing as bin is in the same group I am I can't actually stop him from moving things :angry:

Consider women's hockey forum on the way.